Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193301 - 01/22/16 02:19 PM Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer?
Bird Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Which type of camera do you prefer to take when having a trip?

#193302 - 01/22/16 02:32 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It all depends on how important photography is as a part of one's hiking experience. I very much want decent quality snapshots of my trips, but I don't pursue high quality to the extent of carrying a DSLR camera and my only tripod is a tiny 2 oz. one that I leave home as often as not.

Because I have not (until a month ago) even owned a smartphone or ever taken any kind of cell phone with me on backpacks, due to the poor to non-existent coverage where I hike, my cameras have been compact digital cameras for the past decade or more. My current one is a 7 oz. Fuji FinePix that claims to be water resistant and shock resistant (but I don't care to test out those claims). I've also owned Olympus and Canon compact digitals and they worked just fine for me, too.

Now that I finally own a smartphone, I may experiment with taking it on short backpacks to see if it adds any benefits (such as GPS, MP3, e-reader) that aren't offset by the rapid depletion of the batteries and the overall less rugged construction that could turn it into a hunk of junk if it gets physically abused during a trip.

#193307 - 01/22/16 04:57 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Smartphone for me. It's relatively cheap (most people have one anyway), light, and small, but of course you have to baby it a bit and be careful not to run the battery down and the pictures aren't great. It's all a trade-off.

I've tried to get a photographer friend of mine out on the trail for a more photography-centric trip. His equipment would be much better, but so far he hasn't bitten.

#193314 - 01/24/16 08:40 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: 4evrplan]
shuddleson Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Nikon P7100 for me. Full controls in a small package

#193331 - 01/25/16 05:07 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Advanced compact (Panasonic LX or Sigma DP) if I'm traveling as light as possible, mirrorless ILC (Olympus OM-D, Panasonic GM) if I'm more serious about collecting pictures. My DSLR days are over.

Cheers,

#193454 - 02/03/16 05:12 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Rick_D]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Cannon powershot. My wife has a DSLR that I am not allowed to bring. Anyways, I don't like using my phone because of batteries. The powershot can take more than a weeks worth of photos and a lot of video on a single charge. I do want a gopro for better video while walking though.

#193499 - 02/05/16 12:45 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: finallyME]
bluefish Offline

A Pentax WG-3 with GPS for me. Picture quality is fairly good, but has a few issues with white balance and slow focusing. Pros are great durability, waterproofness, a clock/alarm, GPS location , a compass , and a relative altimeter for navigation.
The picture taking is good enough for my purposes and has captured a few frameable moments.

#195559 - 05/29/16 08:56 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Tinker.Boyd Offline

Loc: Texas
We've always carried our Canon Rebel T3i DSLR with a zoom that converts to a macro, but honestly our best scenery and wildlife pictures have been around visitor centers and short hikes around campgrounds etc so I think on our next trip we are leaving it behind and just relying on the cellphone.

Tinker

#195564 - 05/30/16 09:24 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Tinker.Boyd]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Though it is heavier (but not as heavy as my other camera gear), for backpacking, I will generally take a Sony DSLT APS-C with a 16-80mm lens and a 1.4x teleconverter. I also consider taking a GorrillaPod and/or TrailPix for a light tripod.

#195623 - 06/02/16 09:14 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: ndsol]
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
Usually just my phone.

#196322 - 08/10/16 09:33 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
bob1900 Offline

I often use my smartphone to take photo. Camera is too expensive for me.

#196323 - 08/11/16 06:06 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Viking Offline

Loc: Czech republic
Hi all,
new member here out of Prague Czech republic so big wave to you all smile

I lug my 70D with me along with my 24-105L lens. On top of that if I want wide angle I also pack my 11-16mm from Tamaron which is great for astro photography as well. Looking forward to using it this weekend for possible Perseids if the sky is clear. I always have a 50mm lens with me as well just for detailed photographs as its super sharp and 1.8f is a charm to have.

Never leave without my tripod and on top of that I am looking at Lee filter system now. My hikes are from day trips to long week hikes.

smile

#196406 - 08/23/16 12:09 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Viking]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
AEE S71T

#196427 - 08/24/16 07:30 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Viking]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By Viking
Hi all,
new member here out of Prague Czech republic so big wave to you all smile

I lug my 70D with me along with my 24-105L lens. On top of that if I want wide angle I also pack my 11-16mm from Tamaron which is great for astro photography as well. Looking forward to using it this weekend for possible Perseids if the sky is clear. I always have a 50mm lens with me as well just for detailed photographs as its super sharp and 1.8f is a charm to have.

Never leave without my tripod and on top of that I am looking at Lee filter system now. My hikes are from day trips to long week hikes.

smile

You carry quite the gear in terms of weight. I would like to carry a full tripod, but those pounds I can very rarely justify on a backpacking trip.

#196744 - 10/10/16 03:09 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Joe's_Outing Offline

I use Nikon D3100

#198257 - 05/02/17 03:29 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Tina2017 Offline

Loc: Southern California
I use a Sony RX100 (IV) and GoPro (one trip I brought my Feiyu G4 stabilizer with me). But for the most part it's the compact camera and a GoPro.

When I first started backpacking I brought my DSLR and two lenses. That just got too heavy and I'm not a serious photographer.

#199485 - 11/12/17 06:34 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Adventurejus Offline

Loc: NC
Sony A7R with 24-70mm lense w/ tripod usually. Adds about 4-5lbs to my pack but so worth it in my opinion, absolutely love photography!

#199515 - 11/15/17 12:14 PM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Adventurejus]
shuddleson Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico
for years, I packed a Nikon FtN body with usually a 35 mm f2.8 and a 135 f 2.8. Add 6 or 10 rolls of film and it was a load. It just (as pointed out previously) depends on how important photographs are to the trip. For me, it was important and I recently have been digitizing my slides from those trips and am thankful that I carried that load.

#201689 - 09/12/18 04:44 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Compact or mirrorless because they're lightweight. I dont want to take extra weight by bringing a DSLR camera.

#202224 - 12/06/18 05:38 AM Re: Which type of camera equipment do you guys prefer? [Re: Bird]
Matt Miller Offline

Loc: Dallas, GA, United States
My Nikon D3400, it is cheap and does the job well AND a tripod stand (it is a cheap one that i bought online).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum