Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195509 - 05/27/16 10:51 AM New exped couple sleeping pad
scratchtp Offline

Loc: New York
I just found out that exped came out with a new couples sleeping pad! Looks like it's actually a reasonable weight and size (28 oz, 41" width tapering to 32" at foot), with separate chambers for each half of the pad. Has anyone seen this or tried it out? I can't find it in stock anywhere.

I personally would take a little weight penalty for a few extra inches at the feet, but I'm not a big fan of tapered pads. We generally use two neo air all seasons lashed together, but the gap and edge collapsing is frustrating sometimes.

exped hyperlite duo

#195807 - 06/14/16 09:53 PM Re: New exped couple sleeping pad [Re: scratchtp]
Loreen24 Offline

Loc: United States
Hi, I just suggest you to find your sleeping pads you should search on Google, after your search Google shows to you the most valuable result on their search with your targeted lot of information or you can search it on Amazon.com. I hope you will be able to acquire it.

#195815 - 06/15/16 10:23 AM Re: New exped couple sleeping pad [Re: Loreen24]
scratchtp Offline

Thanks Loreen for your response. I have already tried looking for it on Google, and it's out of stock everywhere (including amazon). Thanks for the suggestion though!

It would be great to hear if anyone has had any experience with it personally, but I assume since it's out of stock everywhere, not many people have seen it yet. If someone happens to get their hands on it, post some feedback!

#196055 - 07/10/16 01:42 PM Re: New exped couple sleeping pad [Re: scratchtp]
scratchtp Offline

I ended up getting the exped hyperlite duo right before we went on a 3 night trip in the White Mountains over 4th of July weekend. I figured I would give a short initial review in case anyone else comes along who is considering getting one. Our previous solution was two neo air all seasons lashed together, so some comments are only comparing those two options.

Exped Hyperlite Duo
Weight (quoted): 27.9 oz.
Weighed: 829g (29.2oz)

The synmat hyperlite duo is couples sleeping pad, with synthetic insulation inside giving it an R value of 3.3. The design is similar to a tapered vertical baffled sleeping pad like their synmat hyperlite, except double wide.

We recently used this pad on a 3 night backpacking trip in the White Mountains of NH. We combined it with an Enlightened Equipment Revelation X wide 20 degree. Over night lows were high 30's and above.

The pad has a lot of nice design features, including the fact that the inflation chambers are separate for the two people using the pad. Each can be inflated to a desired firmness, and one person shifting on their side affects the other person less, although they still might hit you with an elbow! The last side baffles are also slightly bigger than the others, meaning it's more difficult to slide off, and your arms stay on the pad without falling off like they do on some other pads.

As a well designed couples pad it also eliminates many of the classic problems of having two pads while being competitive in weight. There were no more collapsing edges in the middle preventing cuddling, no more cold air gap in between the pads, and no more shifting in the night and waking up with 4 inches between pads. I did find the surface slightly slippery, and woke up one night when were camped on a slight incline, with my feet hanging off the edge of the pad and 6 inches of unused pad above my head. I'm not sure if this is the fabric or the vertical baffles at play, but it was easier to slide vertically while sleeping.

I found the size to be plentiful. Contrary to my expectations that the tapered bottom might be annoying, I never had any problems with space, or felt I had to sleep at an angle to keep my feet on the pad. I also never had problems bumping shoulders, although we are both relatively small (5' 10" and 5' 2") and don't mind cuddling, YMMV.

My only complaint is about the valves. If I had to rate only the pad ignoring the valves it would be 5 stars, and the valve would get one star. Keep in mind I used to have a neo air all season, so this may be just getting used to a different valve system, but every time I used the valves, I found them annoying, limiting, and seemingly fragile. If you aren't familiar with exped valves (as I wasn't) they have a small rubber one way valve on their pads, very similar to an umbrella valve on some water filters. When you blow air in, it lets air in the bag, when you stop, air pressure inside causes the valve to close. A hard plastic plug is then placed into the opening to create a second closure after you have inflated the bag to make sure it doesn't deflate by accident at night, and to protect the rubber valve.

First, I found the hard plastic plug hard to remove and insert, requiring more force than I am used to applying to an air mat simply to open or close a valve. I haven't heard of many pads failing at the valve, but I felt uncomfortable applying so much force to a thin pad where a weakness or small hole can cause the entire system to fail. Second the umbrella valve I found to be hard to use, and annoying to deflate. In order to blow in, you have to put your face and mouth directly on the fabric surrounding the valve. It's not necessarily super annoying, but compared to neo air, where a small plastic nozzle comes out of the pad, it seemed more difficult to get a seal, and more uncomfortable to force my nose and face into air mattress instead of being an inch or so away.

As an umbrella valve, there is also no easy way to deflate the mattress. This is important both for storage purposes, but also for sleep comfort! For a neo air, you simply unscrew the valve (which you can do while laying on the pad) let out a small amount of air, and close the valve again. On the hyperlite duo, the valve is on the bottom of the pad, and therefore largely inaccessible without getting of the pad and flipping it over. In addition you have to remove the hard plug, and then either depress the umbrella valve with your finger or the included tab, and hope you let out the right amount of air for comfort. Then you have to lay on the pad again to see if you got the firmness right. Since it's a two person pad, both people have to go through this process. In order to deflate for storage, you have to insert a tab into the umbrella valve in order to keep it open, then roll it up to force out the air, and then remove the tab. In theory this isn't much of a problem. However the umbrella valve is simply a small piece of rubber (silicone perhaps), and having a hard piice of plastic (essentially a zipper pull) forced against it, and then pulled out again, seems like it could cause a lot of wear and tear, eventually ruining the umbrella valve. Note that is is hypothetical, I obviously have not had this happen yet, since I have only used it three nights, but it seems like another potential area where the pad can be damaged.

Perhaps if I had not used the neo air valve before the exped I would not have these complaints, but overall I found the exped valve to be finicky, more cumbersome, and seemingly more fragile, without any obvious advantage over the other system.

SUMMARY:
The synmat Hyperlite duo is a great, and one of the only, lightweight pads for couples available. It is competitive weight wise with two separate pads, while eliminating many of the disadvantages of using two pads. It seemed as spacious as could be expected for a backpacking sleeping pad (YMMV), with separate compartments for each sleeper. The main drawback is the valve system, which I found finicky and potentially fragile, without any advantages over competing valve systems. Overall I would highly recommend it for a couple looking to eliminate the annoyances of using two pads, despite the valve or any other small inconveniences.

Tip: If you want an easier way to inflate the bag (that's cheaper than the schnozzle), you can take the top of an oatmeal container (or anything with a semi rigid plastic top, cut out a rectangular piece, and roll it into a tube that will fit snugly in the valve opening. Tape this together, and then cut out the corner of trash compactor bag, You can tape this tube into the corner, and now you can use the trash compactor bag to inflate the pad. (it can also double as a pack liner as long as you aren't expecting it to be 100% waterproof).

#196058 - 07/10/16 03:27 PM Re: New exped couple sleeping pad [Re: scratchtp]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I also have found that the Exped valves take a lot of getting used to! I do have the Schnozzle, which helps a little. Mine is the UL7 Downmat, which is not as comfy as I'd like but does work for me.

I have used a heavy trash bag as an inflator, too, on other pads with standard valves. It is possible to close off that cut corner to make it waterproof! Use the same twisting and then bending over itself closure you would use at the top to make a waterproof closure.

Of course the Schnozzle can be used as a pack liner, too.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum