Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195207 - 05/02/16 11:01 PM New member introduction
Bob Chiang Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Hi all,

I just found BackcountryForum.com and am especially pleased to find this topic forum for geezers. This seems like the most appropriate place for my introduction:

I was born in Minnesota where my introduction to wilderness sports was via a YMCA canoe camp, Widjiwagan. Our third trip was 21 days unsupported.

Did occasional backpacking trips during high school and college. After college I took a month trip with two friends to do multi-day backcountry ski trips in the Wind River range, Tetons, and Yellowstone park. When we skied out from the Yellowstone trip, someone in town told us it had been 37 below the night before. I still use that same sleeping bag for winter trips (sewn from a Frostline kit about 1972).

My girl friend (now wife) and I did several backpacking trips in the Northwest while going to school. We moved to Colorado where I did a multi day backcountry ski trip in the San Juans and we climbed our first 14er. Then came kids and work and moving to Ithaca, New York.

Fast forward to 2009 when my wife and I took a cruise. The ship had a climbing wall, and I fell in love. Followed up with climbing classes through the Cornell University (where I work) Outdoor Education (COE) program, became an instructor, and found new outdoor trip partners (down to 1/3 of my age, but what the heck).

Last year I had the outdoorsiest year ever! including celebrating my 60th birthday with a family trip to Colorado. You can see a summary of the trips here: 2015 outdoor adventures

I was looking forward to another great year of hiking and climbing in 2016. The year started out nicely with helping to lead a COE winter mountaineering class in the Adirondacks. Then in February, I picked up one fateful shovelful of wet/heavy snow...

So here I am months later recovering from a hurt back. I'm finally hopeful that it might one day be fully functional wink

It made me wonder if I had waited too long to return to backcountry trips, but you folks have provided inspiration and reassurance that I may have lots of years and adventures in store.

Thanks! and Have Fun,
-Bob

#195209 - 05/03/16 03:31 AM Re: New member introduction [Re: Bob Chiang]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Welcome, Bob - we'll try to provide more inspiration, or at least some "so, there I was..." stories for your amusement. smile

Sounds like you've rediscovered an adventurous life - and doing it with folks 1/3 your age will help keep you feeling younger.

We're looking forward to hearing more from you.

#195210 - 05/03/16 10:02 AM Re: New member introduction [Re: Bob Chiang]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Welcome Bob. I love your pictures!

#195216 - 05/03/16 07:53 PM Re: New member introduction [Re: 4evrplan]
bluefish Offline

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your adventures. I recognize some, as I live at the base of the 'dacks to the east of you. I wish you fast and complete healing and a quick return to your passions.

#195669 - 06/05/16 10:59 AM Re: New member introduction [Re: Bob Chiang]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
After a bout of sciatica in my late 30's, I never again picked up a snow shovel. I bought a house where the wind swept the snow off the driveway, a 4wd truck, and let the neighbors complain about my un-shoveled sidewalk. Climbing is safer than shoveling snow, and a lot more fun.

Then in my late 40's, I moved to California - no snow! And the Sierra at my doorstep.

Hope your back gets better. You have many years of hard core backpacking and climbing left to enjoy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum