Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194942 - 04/17/16 12:31 PM Chickpea mush, adding spices after deyhdration
41253 Offline

I enjoy chickpea mush with lots of different adjuncts such as tahini, peanuts, various spices,... They all seem to dehydrate and rehydrate pretty well, at least for short-term storage. On a recent trip I used some Indian spice from the grocery store labelled "Spice for Garam Masala" and before dehydrating is had a very nice flavor. On the trail it was still satisfying but lacked a lot of the spice flavour. It seems that much of the aromatic quality doesn't survive a hot dehydrator. As an experiment, I made some more mush but left the spice out before dehydrating. I then took some to work for lunch and added fresh spice along with hot water. It was much better. This also seems like a good way to mix up meals on a trip, with neutral mush and different flavor packets -- sort of like Ramen.

#194944 - 04/17/16 01:34 PM Re: Chickpea mush, adding spices after deyhdration [Re: 41253]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I've used Garam Masala spice in cooked lentils and it seemed to survive dehydrating pretty well. I dehydrate vegetables at a relatively low temperature, say 125 F. Adding herbs and spices, even salt, at the time of cooking / rehydration gives a stronger flavor.

#194945 - 04/17/16 04:16 PM Re: Chickpea mush, adding spices after deyhdration [Re: 41253]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
First, I definitely agree that dehydration/rehydration can result in loss of aromatics and flavors. I think it is a great idea to add the flavor/spices after you dehydrate. And, as you mentioned, it's a great way to add variety.

Second, I used to buy a lot of spices from the Indian grocery stores, because the prices are sooo much better. But, I have found that the spices are not as flavorful. It could be due to age or improper handling, but I think its mostly due to diluted product. Whether intentional or due to manufacturing process I think a lot of Indian spices have other things in them.

Lastly by "chickpea mush", I am assuming your are referring to a dish of course mashed chickpeas? If you like it pretty finely mushed, then you could just use Gram/Garbanzo/Chickpea flour and cut out dehydration altogether.

#194946 - 04/17/16 05:36 PM Re: Chickpea mush, adding spices after deyhdration [Re: BZH]
41253 Offline

I have a cheap dehydrator with no controls, a lower temperature probably would preserve things better as the first responder said and allow the benefit of flavors developing and mixing as they cook.

My "mush" started out as an experiment in drying hummus which had a lot more stuff it it and is worth making from scratch when eaten fresh. I've experimented with drying leftover home made pizza sauce but have never managed to rehydrate any because it tastes so good in fruit leather form.

You're right, though, if I'm just going to bring basic ingredients the flour you mention would be easier.

#194947 - 04/17/16 05:56 PM Re: Chickpea mush, adding spices after deyhdration [Re: 41253]
bobito9 Offline

That sounds like an interesting and tasty approach, but I don't see any advantage to drying with the spices in it, it's easy and light enough to just bring some spice with you. You could likely improve the flavor by also bringing olive oil or ghee with you to add to your dish on the trail: lots of richness and calories with a good calories-to-weight ratio.
On a simpler note, I usually bring ready-made instant hummous that I get at the health food store. Nile Spice makes it, but I usually get it in the bulk section. Requires only water, but much better with a tablespoon of olive oil added, or olives or cukes if I'm not worrying about weight.
It's such a light weight, nutritious, and easy thing to use that I have wondered if I could mix a little of it into other dishes for flavor, like couscous or something. If anyone has suggestions for vegetarian meals using instant hummous, I'd be interested to hear. But homemade chickpeas plain sound great to use.

#194950 - 04/17/16 06:40 PM Re: Chickpea mush, adding spices after deyhdration [Re: 41253]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I started out with a cheap round American Harvest dehydrator, but gave in and bought a 5 tray LEM dehydrator a couple of years ago. My only regret is that LEM doesn't sell extra plastic trays. Most of the Excalibur grids and sheets will work with it, but the trays are just a bit too large. It's handy to have a few extra trays.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum