Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192774 - 12/04/15 02:23 AM Re: Stealth Camping & $651.00 Fines? [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The Grand Canyon is a true wonder of the world. I've got to visit a bit of it and some of the areas around it but I've never backpacked there. Everywhere I've ever went out west I wanted to wander into but none looked so vast as the Grand Canyon.

For me, the Ozarks are like the DisneyLand of hiking areas. There is so much packed into them that's it's always fun. They're rugged and remote enough to give you the feel of exploring in a vast wilderness, but you're really not. And they're still pretty much unspoiled and pristine, and old, so you are still exploring an amazing area that very few really see.

I have found natural shelters and springs and old homesteads and hunting camps that even the locals have forgotten now. These are some of my favorite places to camp now. I can be sure that when I get there no one else will be there and it will be sweet.

Every trip here is fun. I won't say they are "adventures" because that implies there is a risk involved, and like DisneyLand, there's really not. You can get hurt and be alone, but you won't get eaten by a bear or mauled by a moose, and like I said, you can't even get very lost. Bushwhacking to some of these spots can be a slog, but I almost always find something that makes it worthwhile.

The Ozarks have more natural beauty packed into them than anyplace I've been. It's not so much "Grand" here as it is "Enchanting".

Check out Tim Ernst's photos. He's a die hard bushwhacker too who captures it as good as I've seen and I've followed his guides to some really great spots, but like anyplace you have to be there to really get it. These photos are from the Buffalo River area, about an hour drive south of me.

Tim Ernst Photography

"You want to go where?"

#192782 - 12/04/15 10:58 AM Re: Stealth Camping & $651.00 Fines? [Re: BZH]
WonderMonkey Offline

Loc: OH
Originally Posted By BZH
People definitely illegal/stealth camp. There is a pretty long thread on it right now at another forum. It is quite a contentious topic, but at the end of the day if you can't do the time don't do the crime.

I am not going to tell you that it is "ok" to do something illegal. I'm also not going to berate you for considering doing something illegal. The rules could be largely driven by a desire not to have drunk college and high school kids up there burning down the forest. It is probably also driven by its proximity to a metropolitan area. It may not be able to handle the wear and tear of regular backpacking. If there are rangers up there for the purpose of chasing off college kids you may very well get caught. You may be able to play dumb and talk your way out of a ticket, but if you are not willing to pay the fine then you definitely shouldn't do this.

I agree with this entire statement. I've stealth camped on the sides of rivers while on kayak trips but I'm choosy about the location and prepared to deal with the fallout.

#192803 - 12/04/15 09:35 PM Re: Stealth Camping & $651.00 Fines? [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

Thanks for the photo link, Bill! I see some unique geologic formations and a look to the land and water I'm not familiar with. Really piqued my interest. Gorgeous.

#193645 - 02/14/16 02:16 AM Re: Stealth Camping & $651.00 Fines? [Re: Aragon]
bobito9 Offline

Then there is also the matter of "stealth hiking". I'm thinking specifically of the fact that a lot of state and regional parks have rules against being on the trails after dark, and yet I love night-time hiking, preferably by moonlight or background city light. I usually don't worry about getting in trouble, but I once rolled into my designated backcountry site at Castle Rock State Park here in Calif just after dark, coming back from a very long dayhike, to find a ranger ready to read me the riot act. Man, he was way serious! I was lucky not to be fined and kicked out to boot. If he had known that I also went off trail, I would definitely have been dead meat. I never want to cross him again. I think in his case, though, his park had had a problem with an illegal weed grow and he was highly suspicious of people sneaking around in the dark and off trail. I see his point. To me though, I just love the dark too much to give it up...except in Castle Rock!

#194019 - 03/03/16 04:02 PM Re: Stealth Camping & $651.00 Fines? [Re: bobito9]
AlanL Offline

Loc: North Carolina
We do some occasional stealth camping ourselves. We have an area that requires a permit for overnight camping on the weekends from May 1 till Oct 31. The area is pretty large and has a lot of trails but in Oct the portion we camp in is usually empty. Of the 3 times I have camped there for a 3-night weekend I have only ever seen another group one time and they had been weekday camping and were packing out as we were packing in. The problem is the permits are always “sold out”. So what do we do? We stealth it. Never seen a ranger... I guess we would play dumb and hope for the best if we did.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum