Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193405 - 01/29/16 10:57 PM Need advise on an ultra light sleep system
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I am new to this and have spent some money on decent gear. I ended up buying an REI dash 2 tent that only weights 2.5 lbs, cat can stove, Thermarest zlite pad. REI flash 62 pack that weights 2 lbs. My issue is my sleeping bag ( marmot trestle 1 which weighs about 4 lbs and barely fits in the bottom uf my pack compressed. I am trying not to spend a lot more money on gear right now. Dueter makes a sleeping back called the dreamlite 500. I think its rating is between 50 degree. Most of my trips will be no lower than 40 with an extreme of 35 degrees. I was wondering if I could buy that bag. Its like 80 dollars and then buy a SOL escape bivy to put the bag inside. With a total weight of 1.5 lbs or should I weight and just buy a down bag later

Edited by toddfw2003 (01/29/16 10:59 PM)

#193415 - 01/31/16 09:25 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: toddfw2003]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
My preference is always down. It is the lightest and most compressible of all fill materials so far. I have found decent ones used. Keep watching! If you can acquire a Costco down blanket, consider making a lightweight sleeping quilt. I'm reading a lot of good buzz about this blanket and items made from such as DIY gear.

#193416 - 01/31/16 09:52 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: CamperMom]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I have too, CM, and I wish I could get my hands on a few cheap. At least one store was reported to have them on clearance for $10. But, I neither live anywhere close to a Costco (it's not an online item) nor do I have a membership. If this is an option for the OP, however, I'd love to hear how it goes. Hammockforums.net has a lot of info in the DIY section about optimizing these for camping, including easily resizing them without having to open them up and mess with down and getting the most loft out of them. If one isn't warm enough, you can double up.

#193417 - 01/31/16 09:53 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: CamperMom]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
My preference is always down. It is the lightest and most compressible of all fill materials so far. I have found decent ones used. Keep watching! If you can acquire a Costco down blanket, consider making a lightweight sleeping quilt. I'm reading a lot of good buzz about this blanket and items made from such as DIY gear.

+1

#193418 - 01/31/16 10:44 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: 4evrplan]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
No Costco membership for me, either. If my sister gets here to visit Mom before I go home, I'm hoping she will bring one (or two) or we can get some here.

Hammockhangers.net also has some DIY discussion about using these.

#193425 - 01/31/16 06:31 PM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: toddfw2003]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Down for me, too. However, it's a bit pricey for those on a budget. The Western Mountaineering Ultralite that I bought in 2006 for $315 is, last time I looked, edging close to $500. At some point, it's going to become cheaper to raise your own geese! If you have the money, though, a high quality down bag is worth the price. Properly cared for, it will last a lifetime, while synthetic bags tend to loose a significant amount of loft after 5-6 years. The cost per year of useful life is definitely less, assuming you have the $$$ up front!

Sleeping bags with lower quality down are, of course, heavier than the expensive ones, but not nearly as heavy or as bulky as your synthetic. Check out the Kelty Cosmic Down. Properly cared for, it will last far longer than your synthetic bag. It's often on sale, so check numerous vendors.

A quilt is another possibility. I am not a quilt person, but many experienced people here swear by quilts from Enlightened Equipment. I suspect they don't toss and turn as much as I do.

Don't forget that a sleeping pad is a very important part of your sleeping system. The ground is often colder than the air. Even more important, the part of the sleeping bag that's under you gets squashed flat while you're in it, so has far less insulation.

It would help to know where and at what times of year you backpack.

#193460 - 02/03/16 10:47 PM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

#193466 - 02/04/16 08:02 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

You might consider extending your range with a woobie. Google military poncho liner or woobie. I've used one and they are as described and also can be found for under 30 bucks. Great piece of gear under 1.5 lbs.

Edited by bluefish (02/04/16 08:04 AM)

#193486 - 02/04/16 08:57 PM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish

You might consider extending your range with a woobie. Google military poncho liner or woobie. I've used one and they are as described and also can be found for under 30 bucks. Great piece of gear under 1.5 lbs.

That looks pretty nice. How warm are they? Could you rate it around 50 degrees?

#193488 - 02/05/16 07:29 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

You'd need to wear some clothes to sleep, but , yes, I think that'd be a safe lower limit. It's about what I did. I also wore a buff around my ears for just a little more warmth. They are easy to throw over you if you're sitting around camp, too. Note: I was in a tent, and my tent is good at blocking wind and is considered a "warm" tent. I was also on an inflatable pad rated R3.2 .

Edited by bluefish (02/05/16 07:53 AM)

#193510 - 02/05/16 08:11 PM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

have you ever looked at the army patrol bags? They are 2 pounds. They only thing that concerns me is compression.

#193515 - 02/06/16 07:42 AM Re: Need advise on an ultra light sleep system [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

They end up as a fairly small package when used with a compression sack, and look pretty good for the price you can buy them for. I must admit, once it drops under 50, I have high end down bags that do a great job for little weight/space penalties.
I watched a you tube of a patrol bag in use. I was shown the 4 part system by a military friend, but haven't used it. Used with a woobie, I would guess under 40 is getting possible. Not bad for a cheap modular, relatively lightweight sleep system. Before my good friend that is very involved in logistics/supply took his full time commission and started doing his equipment testing in Afghanistan and Iraq, he owned a backpacking store in Vt. (My wholesale priced toy store!) We often laugh about the difference in philosophy between outdoor companies and the military. The military could care less about comfort. Being kept alive is all the comfort a soldier needs. We're going to do a trip together early this summer, til then I won't see one in use up close.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum