Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193501 - 02/05/16 01:46 PM Looking for suggestions
Claude Offline

I have the opportunity to be in California (from Europe) in April and I am looking for a 5 to 10 day hike with spectacular scenery and hopefully very little civilized life in the vicinity.

I looked at the JMT but it seems really early in the season unless this becomes a heavy ski/mountain expedition.

Any suggestion for me? I hear Big Sur is great but could not find any long distance paths there on the www.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

#193511 - 02/05/16 10:25 PM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: Claude]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Three things come to mind. California is large- depends on which end of the state you will be in.

Lost Coast. Up north. 7-8-day trip if you do the whole thing from Matolle Beach to Hwy 1. I have done this twice and April is a perfect time. It does help to have low tides but not impossible even at high tide- just not as much leeway in getting over some points. You also need transportation from one end to the other - it is almost a 4-5 hour trip to get back to the beginning, not because it is that much distance but roads are bad and slow. There is a commercial shuttle service that works well, but is expensive. Lots of information on internet. Just "google" Lost Coast. No problem with permits either- you just self-register.

Grand Canyon - good time of year for this. There are some longer trips. One problem is getting a permit. From Southern California (LA area) it is actually closer to the Grand Canyon than northern California. Zion National Park in Utah is another option.

This year looks like a normal to higher than normal snowpack in the mountains. April in the Sierra is going to be a snow trip. Early April is also quite different from late April.

This probably would not appeal to you, but April is the time PCT hikers start from the Mexican border. There are plenty of 10+ day trips on the PCT before you even get to the Sierra! They are plenty remote- but not what you likely had in mind.

#193514 - 02/06/16 03:27 AM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: wandering_daisy]
Claude Offline

Thanks,

I shall look into those 3 options over the we, great to have open minded fellow hikers to connect on the other side of the atlantic.

I was browsing the www yesterday after posting and looking at the Lake Tahoe Rim, may be snowy there, i was wondering how to explore this option?

Cheers

#193582 - 02/10/16 09:44 AM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: Claude]
bluefish Offline

I edited my post, as I realized my suggestions were not long distance and more suited to a week long trip at most. Good luck. and have a good trip.

Edited by bluefish (02/10/16 09:56 AM)

#193601 - 02/11/16 12:37 AM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

Here is a good web site to watch the snow conditions in the Sierra.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/index.html

The Tahoe area generally melts later than southern Sierra. I guess it depends on how much snow you are willing to walk through.

#193602 - 02/11/16 12:44 AM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

As for April in the Sierra - there is snow on the ground but day temperatures are moderate. This is actually a good time of the year for a multi-day ski-tour. But you still need the right kind of winter equipment and experience. You would most likely be camping on snow at anything in the mountains.

In a normal snow year, April 1 is considered the peak snowpack for the higher elevations. Memorial Day weekend (end of May) here is considered the start of the backpack season. Even then, a lot of the mountain passes are still closed.

Tahoe Rim would be a ski trip.

#193604 - 02/11/16 10:55 AM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: wandering_daisy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"In a normal snow year, April 1 is considered the peak snowpack for the higher elevations. Memorial Day weekend (end of May) here is considered the start of the backpack season. Even then, a lot of the mountain passes are still closed."

I would say that Memorial Day weekend is a somewhat early start for backpack season, of course very much depending on the snowpack that year. PCT thru-hikers typically hike through there starting sometime in June, and in normal years it's considered somewhat tough/dangerous, with an ice axe being a very good idea.

In my year, perhaps a 'normal' to slightly 'high' year, I started through in early June and finish the JMT portion in late June. The issues weren't just snow (though there was lots of it), but creeks swollen by snowmelt at a lot tougher/more dangerous to cross than in normal times. And the transition zones could be a PITA, i.e., you drop back down from higher snowy areas (typically descending from a pass) down to lower non-snowy areas, and the transition in between would often be a sodden wet area of just-melted water running along the trail.

Another issue is postholing; one would typically try to do a "pass a day", and try to be getting down from the pass before afternoon sun and temperature softened the snow too much.

Still. If you have experience at backpacking in snow, it's not that bad. Consolidated spring snow isn't at all like hiking in actual winter, and there are less people out there (apart perhaps from a stream of thru-hikers headed north). You typically don't have to actually camp in snow, the mantra is "hike high and sleep low". And the bugs aren't out when the temps stay low enough, whereas they can get fierce shortly after (while there's still snow in the passes).

#201659 - 09/06/18 12:12 AM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: Claude]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Grand Canyon may be the best option for you...

#201667 - 09/06/18 06:33 PM Re: Looking for suggestions [Re: wildnfree]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Claude came and went back in 2016, but I agree the Grand Canyon sounds like a good choice for any April, before the worst heat begins.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum