Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193442 - 02/02/16 04:37 PM What Trekking Poles Should I Get?
Johannes Offline

Loc: NE
I used to think trekking poles were a waste of space. Why would I need those when my pack is so light? Lately, though, I've realized that a pair of poles would make things a little easier.

I've never owned a pair before, but I've done a little research.
Here's the list of features I want in order from most important to least important:
-Comfort
-Durability
-Weight
-Packed Size

Price is no object. I'm 166cm tall (around 5'6").

Please share any experiences you've had with poles. Thanks!

Edited by Johannes (02/02/16 04:43 PM)

#193443 - 02/02/16 06:17 PM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: Johannes]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I take on all walks, but usually left strapped to the pack. Went trying to power up or down hills with much of a load, I pull them out along with leather gloves. The poles give a bit of relief to the old man's legs and also increase stability a bit. They also are used for tent poles. So in my case the addition of poles do not represent much of an increase in pack weight.

#193445 - 02/02/16 07:18 PM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: Johannes]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Like you, I've toyed with the idea of not using them as my pack got lighter. (I used a single staff, then two poles, when I was carrying a 40 pound pack for a weekend; now I'm at 20.)

However, I find that I always take them, and that they're always in my hand. They help establish a rhythm, and they help push aside brush, or knock down cobwebs (if I see them in time.) On uneven terrain, or crossing a stream by rock-hopping, they help keep my balance - unlike Redford and Nolte in Walk in the Woods, who fall into the stream with their poles famously strapped to their packs. On downhills, they're handy brakes, and on almost all surfaces, they do help absorb some of the pounding my old knees would otherwise take.

I've used them as tarp poles, but nowadays, with two pound tents, they are strictly a single-purpose item. My current preference is a pair of Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles.

#193447 - 02/02/16 11:21 PM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Johannes Offline

Loc: NE
What kind of poles do you have?

#193449 - 02/03/16 08:32 AM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: Johannes]
bluefish Offline

I would think comfort would be subjective and dependent on the size of your hand. I use Leki poles with twist locks and composite grips. Winter for me so far, has been all ice, very little snow, the poles have saved my butt, literally, numbers of times. There's times when I don't use them, and I just bought a pack that stows them on the fly very easily. It's a help when I get to spots where I need my hands and don't have much room on the trail to take the pack off and lash them on. The only time they've done me grievous harm was on a trip in the Sierra w/mosquito clouds and a liberal dose of DEET applied to my hands was trapped under the straps of my poles. I had a major chemical burn develop and had to bail out, as my hands were swollen and on fire. Products containing DEET have a warning about putting it on under clothing, I didn't think...... duh. Friction and strong sunlight at altitude didn't help, either.
Though I use a tent with dedicated poles, the trekkers have on numerous occasions served to make a cooking and eating
shelter with a light 6x8 sil-nylon tarp I carry when I think it's needed. They also are good for deterring the non-friendly dogs people let run on the trail, because they're in the wilds and anything goes. I love dogs, but hate getting bit....

Edited by bluefish (02/03/16 08:40 AM)

#193453 - 02/03/16 05:06 PM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: Johannes]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have a pair of Leki Shasta poles. They have cork composition grips and twist-lock length adjustments. They weigh about 18 oz for the pair. In my opinion, if you get name brand poles and avoid extreme (wrap around) grip designs you can't go very far wrong. Sure, you can get "Mercedes" carbon fiber poles with racing stripes and other bells and whistles but they are pricey and don't work much better than "Fords".

#193456 - 02/03/16 05:32 PM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: Johannes]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I haven't used poles myself (though I have old graphite golf club shafts to make a pair eventually). I've read the Costco ones are actually really good though, if they're still available. Here's a review.

#193457 - 02/03/16 05:47 PM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: 4evrplan]
bluefish Offline

I notice PMags, notes they are for the " relatively casual user".
I kinda would shy from putting much faith in them going down some nasty steeps.

#193464 - 02/04/16 12:18 AM Re: What Trekking Poles Should I Get? [Re: Johannes]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I've used quite a few and have my preferences.

Material: carbon fiber. Lightest, which makes a big difference on a long day (you're swinging each hundreds of thousands of times), damps vibration, won't dent and not cold to the touch. Also won't corrode. Potential downside is sudden failure with no warning.

Segments: one-piece is best--lightest and strongest but difficult to stow and transport and of course, must be fitted and is not adjustable on the go. Two-piece is stronger and lighter than three or four but still large when collapsed.

Adjusters: internal expanding joints are stronger than flip locks and leave a smooth pole. Can be much more fiddly to adjust though.

Baskets: I prefer very small trail baskets to bare poles because every once and awhile a bare shaft will jam into something unexpectedly and cause all kinds of grief in a split second.

Confession: I stopped adjusting pole length on the go years ago, just set and forget. Adjustability can be critical when used as shelter poles.

I have CF from Leki and Komperdell, can't recall the model names at this point. Can recommend either brand; there are plenty others but no experience with them. Aim for 8oz or less per pole.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum