Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193094 - 01/08/16 11:09 PM UL Backpacking starting as a beginner
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas

I haven't backpacked in 20 years and decided to get back in it. I have some minor knee issue which a heavy load might cause a flare up so I decided to to UL and stay under 20lbs. Im not a beginner hiker. I have hiked all over the world. So right now I am putting together all my equiptment.

right now I am looking at two tents that I cant decide on
The tarp tent protrail which 209.00 or the Big Agnes Flycreek UL1 for 239.00.

What would you recommend

#193095 - 01/09/16 07:52 AM Re: UL Backpacking starting as a beginner [Re: toddfw2003]
bluefish Offline

Knee issues lightened my pack, also. My wife and I have used a Fly Creek 2 for what's getting close to 200 nights now (4 years), and still like it. Absolutely nothing has broken or torn, nor has it leaked in driving rain. It has design flaws that you learn to circumvent, but many tents would depending on how and where they are set up. If it failed or were stolen, it would be in the running to be its own replacement. I've looked at many tents and tarps and have yet to find so much improvement as to pull the trigger. Since it is a tent/fly and not single wall, condensation is less of an issue when properly pitched. It does need the fly pulled out and away to get good venting. It's not freestanding per se, but if you want to quickly throw it up for privacy in a shelter, or just using the inner tent to ward off bugs and still star gaze, no staking is necessary. You can also use the footprint ,sold separate (maybe why our floor is still pristine), to do a fast pitch with stakes, pole and fly and cut the weight significantly. I've looked at the Pro Trail and see its merits, so I'm hoping you can find good reviews and comparisons to find what fits you best.
Edit: My wife reminded me its been 5 years, as the first time we used it was in high winds and torrential rain at 12,000 feet in the Sierra. Memorable. Kind of trusted it after that.

Edited by bluefish (01/09/16 10:22 AM)

#193096 - 01/09/16 11:28 AM Re: UL Backpacking starting as a beginner [Re: toddfw2003]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"right now I am looking at two tents that I cant decide on
The tarp tent protrail which 209.00 or the Big Agnes Flycreek UL1 for 239.00.
What would you recommend"

Out of a universe of so very many, many tents, it might help if you gave some idea of why you zeroed in on these particular two tents?
The inclusion of the tarp tent option suggests that you're open to the wider range of tents that goes beyond "what my local sporting goods store has in stock".

The protrail looks to me like an evolutionary step from the tarptent contrail. I own a contrail and have hiked quite a lot of miles with it. For a solo tent it's roomy, and overall a fine choice. I personally prefer a tent with a side exit rather than a "large-end exit", and one that puts the highest point at the spot most comfortable for me to sit up at. With the contrail --- and from a picture I think the similar protrail --- you might have to sort of scoot your butt some in order to sit fully upright (I do, and I'm not all that tall). As to the exit, the end exit is fine, it's just: mentally think through the specific gymnastics involved in getting into and out of a tent. I think most people would find that a side-exit is just easier.

What I prefer now is a Lightheart Solo, which is sold in normal and extra tall ("solong") versions, via http://lightheartgear.com/
Certainly one reason I prefer mine is that I paid up for a cuben-upper version (no longer available), so it's lighter and a little more waterproof than any sil-nylon tent. It's the weight that's the issue for me, though as I've got about 4000 miles on this (Lightheart) tent, the tent body fabric can become an issue. I.e., most people don't put nearly that much wear/use on a tent, but enough time in the elements and being deployed and then scrunched up again and again and again can wear the tent fabric itself, making sil-nylon a little more 'porous'? NOT something that I suggest that you consider unless you anticipate an extraordinary amount of use of this tent.

I would mention also about the Lightheart tent is that it's closer to a double-walled tent, whereas the protrail is a single-walled tent. Your flycreek option is a true double walled tent. If you live in a humid, rainy area or plan to hike in one, a single walled tent can certainly work fine, but a double walled tent is preferable.

I've hiked and camped with people who use more conventional tents such as the Flycreek, but I can't make any really meaningful comments. The "freestanding" thing isn't a factor that I personally care about much, but some people find it to be of value. I think there are (rare) exceptions where a freestanding tent is helpful, but my sense is that most people who seek out a freestanding tent do so more out of a lack of experience and thus concerns about something that's rarely a big deal (and for me, ALWAYS something that I can make work somehow).

One other factor comes to mind: If I were personally choosing, I think I would incline towards the tarptent option because you'll be able to sit upright in there. Unless your torso is pretty short, I question whether you could do so in the flycreek. For me, at least, I would feel a lot more constrained and a lot less comfortable in a tent that I couldn't sit upright in, particularly when it's raining/snowing, buggy, or just generally cold outside.

#193097 - 01/09/16 04:26 PM Re: UL Backpacking starting as a beginner [Re: BrianLe]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I live in Houston which is very humid. Most of my backpacking will be within a few hours away. In the Hill country or national forest. I get 4 weeks vacation a year so during that time I could be anywhere from Banff to the Canyonlands. I am pretty much trying to stay light as I can. Some of my car camping gear might work for normal backpacking. I have a Marmot trestle 15 sleepingbag which is 4 lbs and I think is to heavy to backpack with. Im starting completely from scratch. I have REI Flash 62 as a backpack. I want a tent that is under 2.5lb that will keep me dry and is long enough for me. I am 6'4

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum