Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193030 - 01/04/16 09:52 PM Two Blue Foam Pads Enough?
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
A few nights ago, I slept down into the mid-high 30's on top of an original Neoair (r-value 2.4) on top of a car window shade in a tent and inside of my REI Radiant sleeping bag (comfort rating of 32), and I was still cold. I've got one of those blue CCF pads, and I was thinking of getting some more of them, but I read they're only rated to an r-value of 1.4. As cold as I sleep, I'm thinking I need to sleep on something rated to around 5ish, but I'd need to stack four of the blue pads under me to get that! I'm not even going to talk about the unacceptable amount of bulk. For the price of four blue pads, I might as well get one of those REI branded self-inflating pads. They weigh 2 1/2 pounds, but us poor folk can't be too choosey. That's not my main concern though; it's price. Does anyone know of something more economical?

I'm open to untraditional ideas. There was a guy online who made is own pad from carpet foam, but it ended up being over nine pounds!

#193031 - 01/04/16 11:28 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Maybe you could look at the Thermarest Z Lite, rated at R2.4
It packs smaller than the usual Blue Mat and is warmer giving you a combined rating of R4.8 (NeoAir plus Z Lite) good enogh for many down to 32f or so.
Some do choose a similar combo just for a safety margin, in case the inflatable doesn't... (inflate)

#193033 - 01/05/16 11:41 AM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: Franco]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
If your bag is rated to 32 degrees, that's the temperature it will keep you alive. It doesn't mean you will be toasty warm. You may be focusing on the wrong side of this issue. I'd look at wearing more clothes, or a warmer bag.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193035 - 01/05/16 11:59 AM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: balzaccom]
4evrplan Offline

That's why I stated the comfort rating. The "EN lower limit" is 19.

#193037 - 01/05/16 12:29 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Since you already own the neo-air, try stacking a blue ccf pad ON TOP of the neo-air. This is the approach that works for me, I've used it down in the the upper teens and lower twenties.

What I use are thinlight pads from Gossamer Gear. They used to sell 1/4" thick pads, but they still do sell their 1/8" thick pads.

I like having three options of ccf pad thickness (1/8, 1/4, 3/8). Based on expected lowest temp I can mix and match to combine one or more of these with my neo-air. So for example, I might put a 1/8" thinlight below the neo-air and a 1/4" on top, or in really cold conditions a 3/8" on top. Definitely put the ccf pad on top of the inflatable for overall best r-value.

I certainly don't certify this for anyone but me. Too many dynamics to recommend a system for someone else: tent or other shelter type, sleeping bag, what clothing you wear inside the sleeping bag (or quilt), personal metabolism and physical condition, external temp and humidity, ground temp, wind, just where you pitch your tent (local site selection can make a big difference), ... that sort of thing.

#193039 - 01/05/16 12:47 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: BrianLe]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I agree with Brian.... add a pad on top of the neo air. Not sure where you are located, but I have heard Walmart sells blue foam pads much cheaper than elsewhere. I would be surprised if the REI trekker is warmer in real use than a neo air with a blue foam pad on top.

Also... be cognizant of where you are setting up your tent. If you set up on cold, hard ground (such as ice or granite) it will suck the warmth out of you. Look for soft ground

Also... eat some high calorie food before bed with a nice warm drink.

If all else fails fill your water bottle up with hot water and put it in the toe box of your sleeping bag (make sure it is well sealed).

#193040 - 01/05/16 01:12 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
wearing a down filled beanie retains an amazing amount of heat- it's been added to my own equipment list

#193041 - 01/05/16 01:36 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If your bag has a "lower limit" rating of 19*F (that seems awfully low if the "comfort" rating is 32*; the difference between the two is usually about 7-9*F), it was tested using a 1" thick foam pad with an R-value of about 5.0. Also the testing dummy wore a base layer and a knit cap. Some of these EN13537 ratings seem a bit iffy, although they are far superior to the ratings dreamed up by manufacturers' marketing departments.

From my own experience, I'd agree that your problem is the pad. Either you spend the money to get a pad with R value of 5 or above, or you keep adding pads (plus weight and bulk!) to get the total R value up to 5. Do some research and then consider waiting for REI's next 20% off coupon in March, which will help. In the meantime, also watch for sales at other outlets.

Because the air in an inflatable pad takes on the temp of the surrounding air, you want your additional insulation on top of, rather than under, the NeoAir.

I had the same issues some years back with a standard NeoAir (with which I never could get comfortable) and one of those 1/8" thick foam pads from Gossamer Gear. It got down to 18* two nights in a row on a late September trip. I was in my Western Mountaineering Ultralite (comfort rating about 24*F, lower limit about 17*F). I was wearing all my insulating clothing over a vapor barrier suit (my non-breathable rain gear). I also had a nice warm dog curled up against my feet. I was actually sweating on top, but shivering underneath! It was a tiny bit warmer with the foam pad on top of the NeoAir rather than underneath, but with only 1/8" of foam, not enough to do the job.

Another interesting item I found out back then is that if, like me, you want your inflatable pad nice and squishy, underinflating it reduces the R value by about a point.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/05/16 01:47 PM)

#193043 - 01/05/16 02:23 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: BrianLe]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
Since you already own the neo-air, try stacking a blue ccf pad ON TOP of the neo-air...

Good tip, I will definitely try that.

I feel like I should clarify that while I have a CCF pad, my son was using it at the time. The only thing under the NeoAir that night was a car window shade and the tent floor. He also had a car window shade under the CCF pad, and he was cold too.

#193044 - 01/05/16 02:27 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: BZH]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
Also... be cognizant of where you are setting up your tent... Look for soft ground

Also... eat some high calorie food before bed with a nice warm drink.

If all else fails fill your water bottle up with hot water and put it in the toe box of your sleeping bag (make sure it is well sealed).

Thanks BZH. We actually did all those things except for the hot water bottle. How many hours would you say they stay warm?

#193045 - 01/05/16 02:28 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By the-gr8t-waldo
wearing a down filled beanie retains an amazing amount of heat- it's been added to my own equipment list

I had the hood of my bag cinched up where only my mouth and nose were exposed. Would you say the beanie is still worthwhile?

#193046 - 01/05/16 02:48 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
If your bag has a "lower limit" rating of 19*F (that seems awfully low if the "comfort" rating is 32*; the difference between the two is usually about 7-9*F), it was tested using a 1" thick foam pad with an R-value of about 5.0. Also the testing dummy wore a base layer and a knit cap. Some of these EN13537 ratings seem a bit iffy, although they are far superior to the ratings dreamed up by manufacturers' marketing departments.

You're right, it really does seem like a big difference, but that's right from the specs on the website.

From my own experience, I'd agree that your problem is the pad. Either you spend the money to get a pad with R value of 5 or above, or you keep adding pads (plus weight and bulk!) to get the total R value up to 5. Do some research and then consider waiting for REI's next 20% off coupon in March, which will help. In the meantime, also watch for sales at other outlets.

Thanks for the tip about the coupon! I will definitely save up my purchases even if it's not a pad.

I had the same issues some years back with a standard NeoAir...

It's good to know I'm not the only one. It seems that you, like me, are a cold sleeper.

Another interesting item I found out back then is that if, like me, you want your inflatable pad nice and squishy, underinflating it reduces the R value by about a point.

Oh, I didn't know that! I wouldn't say it was underinflated per se, but it wasn't super firm either. Another thought that popped into my head is I wonder if it makes any difference that I filled it with my breath rather than dry air?

#193047 - 01/05/16 05:20 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
If you filled it up with hot air from your lungs, it was already squishy a few hours later--at least they always are for us. It's amazing how much volume those things can lose as the air in your pad cools off...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193049 - 01/05/16 05:34 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Thanks BZH. We actually did all those things except for the hot water bottle. How many hours would you say they stay warm?

Well since it is inside your bag with you it will never actually get cold. I've only ever used them in the middle of the night/ early morning and they have boosted the warmth nicely for a couple hours until the sun came up.

#193053 - 01/05/16 10:03 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: BZH]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Similar to the hot water bottle concept- you really need to get into the sleeping bag when you are warmed up. I usually do a intense small hike or run around a bit before I jump into the sleeping bag. The sleeping bag is an insulator- not a heater. YOU have to provide the initial heat. Standing out around a fire is really not a good way to warm up - one side will be warm, the back side will be cold.

When my sleeping pad is insufficient, I can really feel the cold from below and it is quite obvious. By the way, I sleep very cold, and my 5-degree bag is perfect for me at 30 degrees. You may want to borrow a similar rated sleeping bag from a friend, and see if it is the bag, the pad or you.

#193062 - 01/06/16 04:48 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: wandering_daisy]
bluefish Offline

I owned one of the original neo-air pads for a month. Sold it at half price and thought I got a deal. Actually, they'd be OK in warm climates, I froze with it in the 30's and I live and work in the cold and sleep warm.

#193075 - 01/07/16 06:11 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One good thing about this time of year--you can try various cheap substitutes in the back yard and see what works, before spending a lot of money! If you don't have or can't borrow a back yard, hopefully you have a nearby state park?

#193080 - 01/08/16 09:21 AM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

I've done a lot of testing in the back yard, but these days I usually stay busy until after 11:00 or later. By then all I want to do is crawl in bed.

#193201 - 01/15/16 08:40 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: 4evrplan]
Nich Offline

I found the Big Agnes Q-Core Insulated Petite sleeping pad for $77.97 and only weighs 27oz with a 5 R value. I think I got it on campsaver.com. It packs pretty small. I sleep cold as well and roll around a lot.

Edited by Nich (01/15/16 08:41 PM)

#193335 - 01/25/16 06:06 PM Re: Two Blue Foam Pads Enough? [Re: wandering_daisy]
MAKinForest Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Similar to the hot water bottle concept- you really need to get into the sleeping bag when you are warmed up. I usually do a intense small hike or run around a bit before I jump into the sleeping bag. The sleeping bag is an insulator- not a heater. YOU have to provide the initial heat. Standing out around a fire is really not a good way to warm up - one side will be warm, the back side will be cold.

When my sleeping pad is insufficient, I can really feel the cold from below and it is quite obvious. By the way, I sleep very cold, and my 5-degree bag is perfect for me at 30 degrees. You may want to borrow a similar rated sleeping bag from a friend, and see if it is the bag, the pad or you.

This can't be stressed enough. I teach this to Scouts again, and again... Jog around the campfire or do jumping jacks, something. It could take a full 5 min but usually doesn't. Once you're warm, dress down and get into the bag. You know; too much clothing will not allow for enough air space and you'll be cold then too. Amazing how little clothing you'll need when you find your right combination of pad(s) and bag. Back yard try-outs are a very good idea.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum