Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192799 - 12/04/15 08:26 PM Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes
WonderMonkey Offline

Loc: OH
Usually when I go on a trip I make a spreadsheet so I don't forget anything. I may copy over a spreadsheet I have already made and use that as a base. Of course I always forget something I care about. Since I'm going on a solo trip where I don't expect to see anybody I decided to be a bit more formal about it and made a master gear list that contains everything that I would typically take on a trip, regardless of year. Now when I copy it over instead of adding things to it I have to make a decision to NOT take something. At least it's in my face and I have a better chance.

I tried not to get TOO detailed on it and did things like have "Hiking socks" on there. Which pair I take depends on the time of year but I think it's sufficient to keep it like that. On other things I got a bit more detailed.

I just whacked this together yesterday so I'm still working on it. Tonight I will go downstairs where all my gear is and make sure that everything backpack related is on the list.

In time I am going to be able to just have things on there like "Fire Kit" and then off to the side I'll have what should be in my fire kit.

For your review and critique I'm attaching a screen shot of my current list. I'd love to have your input.

#192802 - 12/04/15 09:27 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: WonderMonkey]
bluefish Offline

A good list to choose from. There's many items I've removed to save weight as my older knees doth protest too much...., and some that is on our list for winter that is not on yours like a collapsible shovel, micro-spikes, and snowshoes.
My wife and I tent and have been, very successfully , using 1 bag as a quilt. I see your a hammock person, so will look forward to hearing how you use it. Not trying to flame or start any controversy in any way, but, I was curious if you carry the Defender with you all the time? I've ran into very few people in a lifetime on the trails that carried, so I (and not being judgmental) wondered about it. Thanks for sharing the spread sheet.

#192808 - 12/04/15 10:28 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: bluefish]
WonderMonkey Offline

I carry a trowel for generic purposes. If it snowed I have a small plastic shovel that I take for mass movement. I'll add that to my list, thanks for the reminder!

As for the defender I used to not carry all the time. In warmer weather I hike in certain parts of Kentucky which are not considered established trails and my concerns are snakes, meth heads and way down the list ... bear. Difficult to use my normal revolver for bear though so it's a last resort.

One reason I carry all the time now is twice I've had a pistol pulled on me. Once was just a few weekends ago and that person is now awaiting trial. Chances are it will NEVER happen again but since this is a solo trip my wife asked me to carry. The feeling of being recently pulled on will probably fade over time and I'll go back to only carrying when in heavy snake or two-legged varmit country and when in remote areas. When on establish and populated trails I think the need is so remote I most likely won't carry even if I'm legally allowed to.

What I'm not is a person who wears a gun so that others can see how cool I am. Nor am I doing it to establish that I acknowledge and support my rights to do so. I carry if I think the chances of needing it are elevated or even if I have a funny feeling.

Another reason I carry is for others. When I had one pulled on me the other weekend I was not the primary target, a friend of mine was. I was targeted secondarily because the person knew my background. The person relaxed a second and let his guard down and it was ended at that point. I wasn't carrying. I'm glad it ended the way it did but it could have not been that way and I would have felt like I didn't do my job as their friend because I failed to carry that day. I am responsible for ALL of our safety. As I hope my friends feel responsible for mine. It's how I am, in a hopefully quiet and determined manner.

Edited by WonderMonkey (12/05/15 09:39 AM)

#192811 - 12/05/15 07:14 AM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: WonderMonkey]
bluefish Offline

Thanks for the considered and well explained reply.

#192822 - 12/06/15 09:59 AM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: bluefish]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Since we hike in the Sierra, our list is going to be a bit different. No fire starters or anything related to fires for obvious reasons. One headlamp per person---no extra flashlight. No phone or charger--we don't get coverage most places we hike.

And in 45+ trips in the Sierra, we've never once seen a need for a firearm. Yeah, we've seen snakes, but snakes are protected in the National Parks just like everything else, and we don't mess with them anywhere else, either. No meth heads. That leaves target practice (Illegal in the Parks) and other hikers.

Your clothing seems a bit confusing to me the way it's listed. We generally think in layers, rather than in temperatures. First layer is synthetic underwear, not worn on the summer. Next layer is a hiking shirt. Next layer is fleece, next is down, last is raingear. On a cool snowy or rainy trip, it all gets worn.

But on a summer hike in the Sierra, some it gets left behind, some left in the pack. And the underwear only gets worn to sleep in. (Saves washing the bag so often.)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#192823 - 12/06/15 11:41 AM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: balzaccom]
WonderMonkey Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
Since we hike in the Sierra, our list is going to be a bit different. No fire starters or anything related to fires for obvious reasons. One headlamp per person---no extra flashlight. No phone or charger--we don't get coverage most places we hike.

And in 45+ trips in the Sierra, we've never once seen a need for a firearm. Yeah, we've seen snakes, but snakes are protected in the National Parks just like everything else, and we don't mess with them anywhere else, either. No meth heads. That leaves target practice (Illegal in the Parks) and other hikers.

Your clothing seems a bit confusing to me the way it's listed. We generally think in layers, rather than in temperatures. First layer is synthetic underwear, not worn on the summer. Next layer is a hiking shirt. Next layer is fleece, next is down, last is raingear. On a cool snowy or rainy trip, it all gets worn.

But on a summer hike in the Sierra, some it gets left behind, some left in the pack. And the underwear only gets worn to sleep in. (Saves washing the bag so often.)

The items on this list are all the items I have on my shelf to possibly take with me. Like you on your Summer hikes only a portion of this list will be taken on any particular trip.

Though I am using this list for this coming trip just to give it a workout I am developing it to use each time I head out.

My layering is the same as yours. This particular trip with the predicted temperatures I'll go base layer (synthetic) and t-shirt for the hike and will have my thin down and rain jacket in my pack for whatever use. For lower body I'll again have a synthetic base layer and I haven't decided to wear my cargo shorts or hiking pants and it will depend on the actual temperatures that we will have.

As for the snakes and such we don't bother snakes if we can help it as generally we are in their home. I will give priority to our group of humans and/or horses if the situation warrants. In my life I have killed three copperheads and let numerous others and rattlesnakes be.

#192836 - 12/07/15 11:18 AM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: WonderMonkey]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Very thorough list. You should weigh everything and add in the info so when you develop a list for a particular trip you have an idea what your pack is going to weigh. I've found that as I've scaled back the things I bring I am much less likely to forget something.

#192837 - 12/07/15 12:56 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A very well-organized list! goodjob I agree that you should add the weights for each item. I would also keep the list detailed (although still organized by system) so that you don't inadvertently leave out an item, especially if it's something you used during a trip. Some items in each system need to be replenished each year, especially your first-aid kit (expired medications and over-aged bandages). You could mark those with an asterisk or something to remind you to check them at least yearly.

Just for fun, you might want to look at Andrew Skurka's 3-season gear list. IMHO the most helpful part of his system is the post-trip analysis (i.e., "legs badly sunburned so need long pants").

Phat's "sticky" post in the Backcountry Beginners' section here has his lists for both summer and winter. Note that he lives in Alberta, Canada, where it gets kinda cold in the winter! You've probably already found the gear lists on the home page of this site, left hand column. My original model when I first went to lighten up (necessary because I could no longer carry a 40-50 lb. pack) was the "27-pound, 7-day gear list." I've since gotten a bit lighter.

Adding weights of each individual item (use a postage scale, not the often understated manufacturer weights) and comparing to other gear lists will help you lighten your pack at zero cost by eliminating unnecessary duplication of items or items you'll probably never need. I spotted some, but it's far better if you find them yourself!

#192839 - 12/07/15 04:07 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: BZH]
WonderMonkey Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
Very thorough list. You should weigh everything and add in the info so when you develop a list for a particular trip you have an idea what your pack is going to weigh. I've found that as I've scaled back the things I bring I am much less likely to forget something.

I do think I'll do that this summer. I'll have to look at a set of scales and will sit down near my gear and have a good session of weighing.

#192840 - 12/07/15 04:09 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: OregonMouse]
WonderMonkey Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
A very well-organized list! goodjob I agree that you should add the weights for each item. I would also keep the list detailed (although still organized by system) so that you don't inadvertently leave out an item, especially if it's something you used during a trip. Some items in each system need to be replenished each year, especially your first-aid kit (expired medications and over-aged bandages). You could mark those with an asterisk or something to remind you to check them at least yearly.

Just for fun, you might want to look at Andrew Skurka's 3-season gear list. IMHO the most helpful part of his system is the post-trip analysis (i.e., "legs badly sunburned so need long pants").

Phat's "sticky" post in the Backcountry Beginners' section here has his lists for both summer and winter. Note that he lives in Alberta, Canada, where it gets kinda cold in the winter! You've probably already found the gear lists on the home page of this site, left hand column. My original model when I first went to lighten up (necessary because I could no longer carry a 40-50 lb. pack) was the "27-pound, 7-day gear list." I've since gotten a bit lighter.

Adding weights of each individual item (use a postage scale, not the often understated manufacturer weights) and comparing to other gear lists will help you lighten your pack at zero cost by eliminating unnecessary duplication of items or items you'll probably never need. I spotted some, but it's far better if you find them yourself!

Good stuff, thanks for responding. I did find the sticky post after I started this and did make some additions based off it.

I do keep notes on my trips. One think I do is take my packing list with me and as I use something I mark it out. It gives me an idea that I'm packing things that I do or don't use. Some things, like first aid or other type things I may not use but still keep, of course.

#192841 - 12/07/15 04:52 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: WonderMonkey]
OregonMouse Offline

Another method often used is to stick a tiny piece of masking tape on each individual item, removing it (and putting it in your garbage bag) when you use it. Items still having tape at the end of the trip may be candidates for leaving home next trip (although probably your rain gear if it doesn't rain!).

#192842 - 12/07/15 06:08 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: OregonMouse]
WonderMonkey Offline

That's a good idea as well. I'm leaving Thursday morning so for this trip I'll probably just do what I normally do (gear list, cross out) and then do something else next time just to try it.

Since it's a solo trip I'll have more time to play with gear while I'm hanging out and soaking in the nature and I'll probably do some writing.

#192843 - 12/07/15 10:22 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: WonderMonkey]
OregonMouse Offline

Looking forward to your trip report!

#192850 - 12/08/15 01:37 PM Re: Gear List For Trip Packing Purposes [Re: OregonMouse]
WonderMonkey Offline

I'll have video to go along with it! Maybe it will capture a bear killing me and it will be on the news.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum