Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192580 - 11/24/15 03:39 AM Hello! I`m new to this forum
Alx Offline

Hello!

I`m new to this forum and want to greet the community!
My name is Alex, I have 10 yrs hiking experience in Eastern Europe and Kaukaz mountains. I`ve formed a group of 40+ followers with whom I hike up to 10 times every year.
Hopefully, one day we will hike in US too:)

As I organize our hikes by myself, I want to ask if anyone has found desktop, online or mobile apps that facilitate and help during the hike preparation process.

The top issues I`d like to tackle are :
Proven and manageable gear lists for different types of hikes, which are used as checklists while packing the bag
Solutions that help distribute general (not personal) gear among the hiking group (e.g. tents, axe, kitchen gear)
Apps that help distribute food among the group basing on weight, meals and even backpack total weight decrease

I personally use Excel for all the planning and managing.

Can anyone suggest apps they are using?

#192584 - 11/24/15 11:35 AM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: Alx]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Welcome!

There was someone on here a couple years back with an app for gear listing. I checked it out and set up an account, but can't find any info right now. I just use an excel spreadsheet. There are a lot of gear lists floating around on the internet (including the front page of this website). I haven't found any of them particularly useful because they are not set up for where I hike, the duration of my hike, my skill level, and my risk tolerance. You can check out a few to get ideas, but it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing.

Interestingly enough many people (on lightweight backpacking forums!) recommend not having group gear. The idea is each person in the group should be autonomous in case someone gets separated they are not missing key gear. I hike in small groups (my family or close friends) so I tend to ascribe to group gear to varying degrees.

What I have found is that tents seem to get heavier per person if you go over 2 people in a tent. The one exception to that is the Tarptent Hogback which is 1 pound per person if you stick 4 people in it or 1.4 pounds/person for 3 people.

I don't backpack with an axe and I am surprised that anyone would choose to. If I can have a fire I collect downed dry branches and break them up with my feet.

Kitchen gear is another thing that doesn't seem to scale well with big groups. In the end of the day big pots and stoves are heavier per person than individual gear (or small groups: 2-3 people).

I have found you can save significant weight in food for groups if you do centralized planning. If food is a community item people will pack less "what-if" items. If you do this you want to make sure you pack enough food for everyone but you don't need to pack as much extra because you are all in it together.

If I was to organize large groups like you are doing, I would break it up into small groups of 2-4 people that would be autonomous. I would provide guidance on what to bring and what not to bring. People new to backpacking will pack their fears and end up with a pack too heavy to get up the hill.

#192587 - 11/24/15 12:38 PM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
My wife and I always hike together, and we share equipment. I carry the food and the tent, she carries the "kitchen" (stove and dishes) and the FAK.

We've got a gear list on our website, if it would help you. I agree that we would only take an ax if one of us were planning to murder the other one. So far, I haven't carried one....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#192594 - 11/24/15 03:00 PM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: BZH]
Alx Offline

BZH,
I suppose the app you mentioned is GearGrams, I also used it.

I think about creating an app for those like us to facilitate the preparation process and communication with the group.
I've some ideas basing on my experience, but want to create something helpful for wider audience smile

Imagine, you have an app instead of your Excel sheet. What would it do?

#192595 - 11/24/15 03:04 PM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: balzaccom]
Alx Offline

Balzaccom smile

Women have lots of experience with kitchen stuff, they may not need ab axe wink

Thanks for your gear list!

#192597 - 11/24/15 04:31 PM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: Alx]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! We'd love to have trip reports from your part of the world!

There are lots of apps out there--seems like everyone has one--except me. I have a dumb phone which I generally leave in the car because I lose reception before I get to the trailhead. I go out to get away from electronics! Of course, as we often say, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I too use an Excel spreadsheet. I prefer to tailor my gear list to my own needs. There are lots of gear lists floating around; there are some on the home page of this site, left hand column. Phat's gear lists (he lives in Alberta, Canada) for summer and winter are in his "sticky" post in the Backcountry Beginners section. I'll look for some others. I know there is gear list
software out there, but I haven't tried to use any.

Do note that if you come to the US, most wilderness areas have a party size limit much smaller than the size of your group. The limit is usually 12 to 15 "heartbeats" (which often includes dogs and other animals). It varies by individual wilderness area--sometimes less and sometimes more. Probably not all the group will be able to come to the US at one time, though (we are not an inexpensive country).

An axe is something you probably don't need. In many parts of the US, especially in the western states where summers are very dry, campfires are discouraged or prohibited. In the wetter east, you should be able to find enough small wood without having to use an axe.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/24/15 04:34 PM)

#192598 - 11/24/15 05:19 PM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: OregonMouse]
Alx Offline

OregonMouse, thank you!

I totally agree about an axe, it is not needed usually. We take it when we go to wet areas with bogs, where all downed wood is either wet or rotten, but dry stems remain standing. It is allowed to cut those down here.

there is my youtube channel with 4-5 videos based on our hiking footage - search "hikermix" in case you are interested. This year`s videos will be ready by New Year, I plan smile

#192610 - 11/25/15 10:02 AM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: Alx]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I was posting on another site on a thread that asked if people brought an axe when hiking. It was rather funny to hear the replies, because it was on a survival forum but in their hiking group.

I think the funniest one I read on the other forum is where the poster said that I wouldn't be able to build a cabin without an axe. That's why we pack a tent, so we don't have to build a cabin every night, and we can leave no trace. (Okay, I didn't make that reply, but I wanted to, lol).

There could be circumstances where an axe may be necessary, but I would think that's on a more specialized hike where one would know in advance. It's not really something that is a necessity. For hiking purposes, a good knife can be large enough to split wood with. It all really depends on the environment you're hiking into. Winter hiking, boreal forest... I can see an axe being very useful. When all the deadwood laying around is underneath 6' or more of snow, an axe would be worth the weight to carry. In the summertime, same area, probably not needed.

#193267 - 01/20/16 08:58 AM Re: Hello! I`m new to this forum [Re: Zuuk]
Alx Offline

Guys,

Can anyone share some experience in organising long term (2-3 weeks) trips for large groups of about 15 people?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum