Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192526 - 11/14/15 08:15 PM Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail?
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail especially on shaded paths and/or at twilight?

As I was descending from the mountain that I crashed and burned on two weeks ago, I took off my sunglasses as it was nearing twilight and I was walking in a shaded area.

I decided to put on my yellow-shaded shooting glasses. WOW! Talk about adding a lot of detail/distinction to what I was seeing. Is this common in hiking/climbing (outside of snow) or did I invent something new? wink

#192527 - 11/14/15 09:08 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: Aragon]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Sounds like something I want to try!

#192532 - 11/16/15 04:24 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: OregonMouse]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
works great in low light environs. but there's a trade off- the whole world looks psychedelic....I used a yellow face shield for motorcycle but gave up on the altered view... just too weird to enjoy.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (11/16/15 04:25 PM)

#192534 - 11/16/15 09:42 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: Aragon]
Aragon Offline

I tried them again and I'm really sold on using yellow-tinted eyeglasses in shady/low-light situations.

Normally I used them in cloudy/hazy shooting competition environments, where they also work well. The big downside is the odd "Hunter Thompson" look to them. In shooting circles they're common. I have yet to see another pair on the trail however.

For what it's worth, good yellow-tinted sunglasses should in no way create a "psychedelic" view. By blocking blue light they enhance contrast and depth perception in low-light conditions...

#192536 - 11/17/15 07:06 AM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: Aragon]
bluefish Offline

I love crepuscular light conditions, so would never alter their appearance. I've used yellow and amber polarized lenses fishing, but generally take them off when walking away from a river. I understand they would be a help if you have a depth perception problem, but I see no real gain for myself. Then again, I've spent a fair amount of time hiking by moonlight. I haven't seen anyone on the trail ever using them, or ever heard of it, outside of skiing. It could be a great thing for those that are visually challenged in low light conditions. I don't know if you'll start a new trend of trail eye wear, but maybe....

#192540 - 11/17/15 09:12 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've tried them a few times, but I can't say in low light conditions.

I've heard about the increase contrast and depth perception with yellow glasses, but I don't really see that with them, and I don't like they way they change colors. After just a bit they annoy me and I just can't wear them, and some of them were high-end shooting glasses.

I have thought about getting some protective clear glasses for bushwhacking though, the kind landscapers use look like they'd work good. Sunglasses don't work very good for that.

"You want to go where?"

#192541 - 11/17/15 09:14 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
I love crepuscular light conditions

Me too!! (now that I've looked it up blush ).

"You want to go where?"

#192542 - 11/18/15 03:30 AM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: billstephenson]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson

I've heard about the increase contrast and depth perception with yellow glasses, but I don't really see that with them, and I don't like they way they change colors. After just a bit they annoy me and I just can't wear them, and some of them were high-end shooting glasses.

I have thought about getting some protective clear glasses for bushwhacking though, the kind landscapers use look like they'd work good. Sunglasses don't work very good for that.

That's the whole point...

I don't care for yellow-tinted lenses in clear/bright sunlight. But in foggy/hazy/low-light conditions they're sweet. They don't change the "color" of anything in such conditions. They simply magnify perceptible contrast/detail by blocking out blue light.

#192543 - 11/18/15 10:43 AM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: Aragon]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I've used them at time. I didn't think they made a huge difference compared to other sunglasses. But YMMV.

I seem to remember something about Japanese pilots in WWII preferring amber lights in the cockpit because they preserved night vision better. Of course, red would be even better!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#192545 - 11/18/15 02:24 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: balzaccom]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
I've used them at time. I didn't think they made a huge difference compared to other sunglasses. But YMMV.

I seem to remember something about Japanese pilots in WWII preferring amber lights in the cockpit because they preserved night vision better. Of course, red would be even better!

I don't think I would wear other sunglasses in shady/low-light situations. I also wouldn't wear yellow-tinted glasses in sunny situations.

I know that years ago, "Blue Blocker" sunglasses were all the rage but they never impressed me for use in sunny conditions. I never tried them out in low-light conditions.

#192547 - 11/18/15 05:21 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: Aragon]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By Aragon
Originally Posted By billstephenson

That's the whole point...

I get that. It'd be worth a try, but I'm a bit skeptical because any degree of tint will block some light. But vision is very personal so it may work better for some than others. It might work great for some and not at all for others. The only way to know is to try it for yourself.

Quote:
They don't change the "color" of anything in such conditions

Actually, they change the color of everything. When you remove blue light you shift the point in the spectrum towards yellow (or darkness in the absence of red and green)

Try it: http://www.colorpicker.com/7F7F7F

"You want to go where?"

#192569 - 11/23/15 02:17 PM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: billstephenson]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
Once when purchasing prescription glasses, I had an extra set of clip on lenses, which I ended up getting yellow lenses for. I did a lot of archery and bowhunting, and I found that in low light conditions I was able to make better definition on targets. I also used to drive with them in the evenings and early morning.

When I was a kid I had a pair of sunglasses with green lenses in them, and those I loved. They did the same as the yellow, but when in the woods it made everything that wasn't green really stand out. It was an odd green coloured lens as well, not like the ones you regularly see on the sunglasses stand, more of a brighter green. I have yet to find another pair anywhere as I broke those many moons ago.

#192783 - 12/04/15 11:03 AM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: Aragon]
WonderMonkey Offline

Loc: OH
I love the yellow shades in low light but not adequate in brighter light (for me). If you are in woody areas most times then the yellow shades are probably a great choice. I personally am in and out of treed areas so I wear the darker shades..

Edited by WonderMonkey (12/04/15 01:21 PM)

#192857 - 12/10/15 06:07 AM Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? [Re: OregonMouse]
AMZSow Offline

only good for awhile man. you dont want to use yellow-shaded glasses forever. it gets weird after awhile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum