When I started hiking I was using backcountry navigator on my android phone. It didn't take long for me to realize that the way I utilized GPS was not going to work for my phone battery. It simply chews through it way too quick. I want my tracks recorded. I also want to be able to quickly look and see specifics about my avg speed, moving time, location etc.

Instead of purchasing the license for bcn I went ahead and picked up a Garmin eTrex 20x and I'm glad I did. I like the simplicity of a hand held GPS unit. I was able to find a free topo map and loaded that on the eTrex. A cell phone can't touch the 24hr battery life that two AA batteries give this thing and for me it's less hassle using it. Much simpler and more straightforward. Garmin Basecamp is also a nice companion tool for it. A buddy of mine has the eTrex 10. The eTrex 10 doesn't support maps so you have nothing but your waypoints and tracks displayed as a reference to where you are.

That said if you will mainly use your phone just to occasionally check your location it'll probably work just fine like that and battery life shouldn't be as much of a concern.