Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192010 - 09/23/15 11:04 AM Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires?
mikev Offline

Loc: MN
Anyone know of a packable and durable hand fan that could be brought in back-country trips? Something that would be stiff enough to give good airflow when stoking a fire but small enough to toss in a pack or pocket? After hiking miles on a trail the last thing I want to do is blow unnecessarily on a fire. Also would be good in the morning for restoking coals. Thanks!

#192013 - 09/23/15 12:24 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: mikev]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
While not exactly what you seek google "pocket bellows."

#192017 - 09/23/15 01:50 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: mikev]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I use my foam "sit-pad" that's stiff enough for the task--about a foot square. Haven't melted it yet. smile

A clever device I've seen but never bothered to make is a piece of hose with a short length of metal tube at the end. Put the tube next to the coals and blow through the hose. Doesn't seem to take much breath because the airstream is directed right where needed.

Cheers,

#192039 - 09/23/15 09:02 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A broad brimmed hat (beloved by those of us who sunburn easily and are allergic to sunscreen) does a great job of fanning a fire.

So does a broad-bottom pan such as a pie tin or a frying pan, if you use one.

I hadn't thought about a foam sit pad, but that should work as long as it doesn't get too close to the flames and melt.

IMHO, it's better to have a multi-function item to save weight and bulk.

#192043 - 09/24/15 08:54 AM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: mikev]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Back in the days when I built fires I used a length of plastic tubing and it worked fine, weighed nothing and went nicely into a pack pocket. Takes very little blowing. best, jcp

#192055 - 09/24/15 12:28 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: JPete]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By JPete
Back in the days when I built fires I used a length of plastic tubing and it worked fine, weighed nothing and went nicely into a pack pocket. Takes very little blowing. best, jcp

I just blow on it, but in fairness it's not hard to start a fire here as there's almost always tinder and kindling at hand. When car camping I have used my battery powered air mattress pump. You could do some blacksmithing with that thing laugh

"You want to go where?"

#192090 - 09/27/15 09:46 AM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: mikev]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hmmmm....seems it takes more energy to wave a fan thingy around than to just blow on your fire. Adding yet one more thing to the pack is counter to lightweight thinking. There must be 10 things in that pack (or on your head) that can fan a fire. Or, build a properly drafted fire, with decent fire starters (i make them from paper towels and gulfwax that burn 5 min.) that require no fanning.

#192305 - 10/23/15 10:44 AM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: mikev]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I generally use 12 year old boys. They are generally eager to blow on it. Short of that, I use my CCF sit pad, or my hat.

Like others said, you don't want to have to bring something special just for that one task. A frying pan works, or a titanium plate. If your pack has a removable plastic frame sheet, you can use that.

#192396 - 11/02/15 10:25 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: mikev]
Heath Pitts Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I have used a camptek micro burst meant to inflate a pad to stoke a fire before. Worked pretty well. I already carry it anyways so it's now multi use smile

Edited by Heath Pitts (11/02/15 10:26 PM)

#192809 - 12/04/15 10:41 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: Heath Pitts]
WonderMonkey Offline

Loc: OH
I use the pouch warmer I made from Reflectix to wave the fire. Hello fire.

#195294 - 05/08/16 12:40 PM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: WonderMonkey]
Danmaku Offline

Loc: IL
I use a Frisbee. The extra weight is justified by its versatility: a fan, plate, water vessel, tray for collecting things, dog bowl, table (for taking notes, looking at maps, preparing food, etc), toy for playing catch, and more.

Blowing on a fire will certainly get the job done but it's not as effective or as comfortable as using a fan.

#195304 - 05/09/16 08:59 AM Re: Anyone know of a hand fan used to stoke fires? [Re: Danmaku]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By Danmaku
I use a Frisbee. The extra weight is justified by its versatility: a fan, plate, water vessel, tray for collecting things, dog bowl, table (for taking notes, looking at maps, preparing food, etc), toy for playing catch, and more.

Blowing on a fire will certainly get the job done but it's not as effective or as comfortable as using a fan.

Frisbees are a handy item for snow camping. A base for a canister stove with a little water added to keep the canister around freezing, snow shovel/scoop, a place to set out items you don't want to lose in the snow, buried as a shelter anchor. I put a couple of grommets and para-cord loops on mine. I've used it to glissade on , too. Can get a little painful... grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum