Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192317 - 10/25/15 08:03 AM Do not buy a Eureka Solitaire tent
la_picker Offline

Loc: Louisiana
This tent would be a great buy, but the tent poles WILL break if not on the first useage very shortly thereafter. Eureka is aware of the design flaw, yet continues to sell this product and won't stand behind it.

#192318 - 10/25/15 02:11 PM Re: Do not buy a Eureka Solitaire tent [Re: la_picker]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I got one a few years ago when they were on sale for $40. I tried it on a two nighter and hated it. I don't recall thinking the poles were weak. Could be they got a bad batch of tubes. Either too thin or too hard, or both, and decided to sell them anyway.

That's one of the big disadvantages of having your product made in Asia using a "Just in time" ordering system. If your out of stock when your big selling season begins and your new order arrives with flaws, you're stuck.

As a company you have to decide on either screwing your customers or taking the hit in profits by delaying the shipping of your products. If they approved the products before they were shipped, they have no recourse. The best they could do would be to offer a fast replacement for folks like you, who would still have been inconvenienced with no compensation.

But telling customers "Too bad for you" is a surefire way to start a downturn in your reputation and a huge mistake for any company to make. Thanks for taking the time to tell us!

"You want to go where?"

#192325 - 10/26/15 07:46 AM Re: Do not buy a Eureka Solitaire tent [Re: billstephenson]
la_picker Offline

I appreciate your comments Bill.

Thing is though, it's not just a bad batch of poles. I bought this tent years ago when I was doing a photography job over in Georgia and had to back country camp over at FDR. I've always been primarily a car camper and didn't have a suitable tent. I picked the Solitaire up so as not to invest a lot of money.

It held up fine on that first outing but the very next time I used it over in Tannehill SP (Alabama), the lower tent pole folded like a pair of dueces.

I haven't used the tent since but have recently renewed my interest in backpacking and thought I'd drag it out and see if I could rejuvenate it. In doing some research on getting a fix for the pole, I'm finding that even now years later, the overwhelming complaint about the Solitaire is the poles; many people even saying that they folded up when they tried the tent out at home after buying it.

Eureka's fix for the problem seems to be selling you a new set of poles.

#192616 - 11/25/15 10:34 PM Re: Do not buy a Eureka Solitaire tent [Re: la_picker]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think the poles on that tent are fiberglass? All fiberglass poles are known to be vulnerable to breaking unexpectedly, but it sounds like the ones they're shipping are pretty bad.

You could outfit the tent with a new set of aluminum or carbon fiber poles from Easton: www.eastonpoles.com

(no affiliation with Easton here, just the only tent pole company I know of)

Edited by ohiohiker (11/25/15 10:35 PM)

#192617 - 11/25/15 10:46 PM Re: Do not buy a Eureka Solitaire tent [Re: ohiohiker]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Probably too tight radius for Carbon Fiber but Eureka does sell that tent in Canada with aluminium poles.

#192643 - 11/30/15 12:04 PM Re: Do not buy a Eureka Solitaire tent [Re: Franco]
la_picker Offline

Yes, the poles are fiberglass, and I do recall when I got the tent it was available (under a different model name) with aluminum poles. But alas that model no longer seems to be available in the U.S. If one did purchase aluminum poles they would have to be quite thin because as Franco said, the radius of bend that they need to make is quite severe.

I did manage to get a fiberglass replacement section from an outfit called Tentpole Technologies. Great people to do business with and highly recommended if you have tent pole difficulties.

Edited by la_picker (11/30/15 12:05 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum