Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192228 - 10/15/15 10:39 AM Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper
Jeanne Offline

Loc: United States
My wife is interested in backpacking with me but we can't find a sleeping pad solution. She is 5'2' 145lbs. It must be 25 inches wide. We've tried the neo lite trekker torso length. Length was fine but not enough cushion in the hips. I'm ok with an extra lb of weight to carry to help her out. Can anyone speak to comfort with the gossamer gear air beams? They come In wide and are short so perfect size for her. Just not sure about comfort. I'm wondering if a two layer solution of air mattress with foam would help. The trekker combined with some foam or "feather bed" layer idea. She sleeps warm and doesnt need insulation. She needs cushioning in the hip area. Torso length works great. Thanks for any help.

#192229 - 10/15/15 12:15 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Jeanne]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I wonder if a simple 18" square of temperature foam in the right position would help. also known as "astronaut couch" foam...not cheap or lite but supply's an amazing amount of cushioning for an inch or two. last time I looked, "aircraft spruce" carried it.

#192230 - 10/15/15 12:25 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Jeanne]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I wouldn't get too focused on the short aspect. Find the right mattress for her. Different people find different mattresses comfortable. Go to REI (or a similar store that lets you try out mattresses) and try out all the different styles they have and see what she likes best. Be careful to not over-inflate the mattress. Letting a bit of air out helps. I think carrying a small piece of foam to add comfort around the hips is probably a good idea.

If you are camping on sandy soil dig out a depression to align with her curves before you set up the tent.

#192231 - 10/15/15 12:50 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: BZH]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I used to use a self inflating pad, but the last time I used it, the air cap blew off when I laid on it. Someone gave me a yoga mat last year which I think will suffice as a replacement. It's light, gives a little cushion and didn't cost me anything. It's no air mattress, but I think it'll work just fine.

#192234 - 10/15/15 05:59 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Zuuk]
bluefish Offline

I've used Thermarests for 40+ years, and still have the first one I bought! For winter and car camping I use a self-inflating model that's 25x72x2. It's ridiculously comfortable. I have no problems with side sleeping, and I weigh 210. Worth looking at, but there is a weight penalty. We use neo-airs most of the time and keep them together with some elastic straps we made up. The little extra room I need I steal from my wife's side. They are very comfortable for how light they are. Once again, they hold my weight up very well.

#192236 - 10/15/15 06:42 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Jeanne Offline

I like the idea of strategic use of foam. I'll look into this particular product. Thanks for the suggestion.

#192237 - 10/15/15 06:49 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: BZH]
Jeanne Offline

Thanks for the reply. I'm not hung up on the length, but of course we are counting ounces and ideally we want to avoid carrying length that she doesn't need. We went to REI and tried out a bunch of pads. The trekker seemed like it would be good. And then she was unable to sleep on it through a night without pain in her hips. Playing wth letting some air out is a great tip, I didt think of that as I love a firm pad. I think that and some strategically placed foam is the next step. Though which foam and where to place it is the challenge. Thanks for the reply.

#192238 - 10/15/15 06:57 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: bluefish]
Jeanne Offline

We do own older self inflating thermarest and an REI branded model. Before we tried the trekker I weighed them. 6lbs! And huge. there's no way I can carry one in or under my pack. They were bought for car camping only. Theye just aren't an option for us. We are both middle aged women. I used to be stronger but at this point in life ultra lite is the only option. Now, I could go to REI and see if there's a newer version of the heavier pad that comes in a short or torso size. I am still surprised that the neoair wasn't comfortable for her. I love my xtherm. Thanks for the suggestions.

#192239 - 10/15/15 07:01 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Zuuk]
Jeanne Offline

I haven't been able to sleep on foam alone for 20 years or so. maybe very petite people can handle it. But over 40 and having hips and creaky knees and shoulder injuries... It requires an investment in a good air mattress. And perhaps even foam in addition. That's the route I'll take. thanks for the reply.

#192241 - 10/15/15 08:55 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Jeanne]
bluefish Offline

Jeanne, try inflating mattresses fully then adjust them by lying on them and cracking the valve until they feel comfortable. You'd be surprised how well you can dial them in this way. I micro-manage mine, depending on what's underneath the tent and how my muscles feel. Have your friend try this, instead of just blowing one up and lying on it. Makes a world of difference. Side sleepers need a good pillow too, because your shoulder elevates you. I use the Sea to Summit Aeros, which is the best pillow I've ever had , bar none.

#192242 - 10/15/15 10:20 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: bluefish]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's what I do, too! For comfort, think squishy! I let enough air out that my hip bone (when on my side) is almost but not quite to the ground.

IMHO, sleeping on a fully inflated sleeping pad is similar to sleeping on an oversized brick.

Mine is an Exped UL7 Downmat. Very comfy, although it seems a bit delicate. While it seems to be tougher than it looks, I haven't used it enough to know for sure. I seem to do fine on the standard 20" wide pad,

Unfortunately, it is really hard to find a short but wide pad. Some have actually bought a long wide pad, cut off the excess length, and re-sealed. Of course, that voids any warranty.

#192243 - 10/16/15 12:17 AM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Jeanne]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
She needs cushioning in the hip area.

If the issue is just at the hips, then I will join in the suggestion of adding extra padding directly under her hips in the form of a foam pad. I do something similar, putting my one foot square sitting pad underneath my Thermarest ProLite Plus pad right where my hips rest. For me it adds just enough extra to offset the extra pressure at that point.

This is about the simplest, cheapest and lightest solution possible, assuming you test it out and it works for her.

The suggestion to adjust the air so that the mattress is just soft enough that her hip almost touches the ground, but doesn't, is also sensible.

Good luck!

#192262 - 10/19/15 12:00 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: bluefish]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I wanted to reiterate bluefish's comment about the pillow. I tried most of the recommended ultralight pillow techniques and always found myself tossing and turning throughout the night. I got a therm-a-rest compressible pillow. It's not too heavy but it is kinda bulky. It is luxury I am no longer willing to live without. When I backpack with my kids, I throw the pillows in their bags. It fills them up, so they feel like they are carrying a full load without cutting into the miles they can do.

#192276 - 10/20/15 03:29 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: aimless]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I also use a dual-system. I have an extra-short Thermarest pro-lite for my shoulders to hips, then two squares of blue foam- one for knees to feet and the other (actually a rectangle) to add width under the Prolite. I find that I need the extra width for warmth, but the Prolite, although small, is sufficient for cushion. The useful thing about this system is that the blue foam doubles for a sit-pad. I NEVER sit on my Prolite outside of the tent.

I do the same "blowup then deflate" for comfort. Only other thing to consider is that blow up pads can deflate a bit as the night gets colder because cold air has less volume than hot air. This is why you should not leave a fully blown-up pad in the tent during the day- it gets hot in a tent and the extra pressure may damage the valve.

#192293 - 10/22/15 11:39 AM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: bluefish]
Jeanne Offline

Thanks. I definetly overlooked the need for her to play adjust the amount of air. And we are going to add to the pillow arsenal. In addition to the sea to summit inflatable pillow we are going to make or buy some down pillows or down stuff pillows. So she had good shoulder elevation plus something to put under the arm. Any light weight comfort that we can manage we are going to try. And we are going to make a pillow tip or foam mattress to over the pad. Thanks for all the suggestions.

#192304 - 10/23/15 10:19 AM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Jeanne]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
This year I bought a Big Agnes insulated Double Z. Double Z
I bought it because it is 4 inches thick and 25 inches wide. I bought it for my wife....at least that is what I told my wife. I then took it on a couple trips this last summer to test it out for her. I think she will like it. smile I might have to buy me one now.

I also bought the sea to summit large ultralight pillow. It is thicker than the other large one, and lighter. I then put a 1 inch thick piece of polyurethane open cell foam on top of just the pillow. Very comfortable with the pillow and 4 inch pad.

Edited by finallyME (10/23/15 10:24 AM)

#192483 - 11/10/15 08:58 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: finallyME]
Jeanne Offline

It's a bit on the heavy side. But I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

#192496 - 11/11/15 10:56 PM Re: Sleeping pads short bit overweight F side sleeper [Re: Jeanne]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Jeanne-Take a look at the Klymit Sttic V air mattresses. I'm pretty hard pressed to find a comfortable bed anywhere, but have had good luck with mine. They are wider than the "standard" 20 inches. You may find some refurbished ones on eBay at a decent price.

Good Luck!

CM

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum