Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192125 - 09/30/15 06:18 PM remove backpack stays?
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
When is it a good idea (or not a good idea) to remove the stays from my internal frame backpack? I've read that if you remove them, you can't carry as much weight. Clearly, removal would save weight, but what is the downside?

#192126 - 09/30/15 06:22 PM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: alph2294]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you are comfortable on long trips without the stays-only you can decide that. I need those stays because my shoulders are so pressure-sensitive that I have to transfer as much weight as possible to my hip belt. Some folks can do without stays and a hip belt, but I'm definitely not one of those--even my day pack has to have a hip belt!

Maybe remove the stays but take them with you to see what happens?

#192128 - 09/30/15 07:14 PM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: alph2294]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
You can still carry the same amount of weight - just not as far or as comfortably. (In fact, it may be so uncomfortable that around the block may be "as far.") The stays are what allows you to transfer the weight to your hips. Since your hips and legs are stronger than your shoulders or arms, they can carry the weight longer and more comfortably.

Now, whether or not that's a problem depends on how heavy your load is. With loads under 20 pounds (total, not "base weight" without food and water), you can get by with a frameless pack that doesn't have stays (or from which the stays have been removed.) Over that, you need more support - how much more depends on how much weight you're carrying. Some can carry 20 pounds in a frameless pack. (You'll need to learn how to pack such a pack if you try this. Otherwise, you end up with a pack that rides like a tired three-year-old on your back.)

Before you remove the stays, look at the rest of the suspension. Is there a framesheet that will still remain in place? If so, you're probably OK up to 25 or 30 pounds; you'll still need to pack carefully. Over 30 pounds, you may end up with an uncomfortable carry if you remove the stays.

Another problem in removing the stays is the size of the pack. If a pack is designed for heavy loads, it will have stays to deal with the anticipated heavy loads. But, that usually means the pack bag will be large, too. Removing the stays because you're carrying a lighter (and usually more compact) load may mean that everything ends up in the bottom half of the pack, and therefore not distributed properly. You may be able to make the pack smaller using compression straps, but it will be difficult to size the pack properly.

So, generally, I would opt for buying the right pack for the load I'm carrying - it will probably be lighter than a too-large pack with the stays removed (it won't have all that extra pack fabric), and it will probably be easier to pack and ride better. But, if the budget considerations made it an attractive option, and you can reinstall them if it doesn't work, I'd say go ahead and try.

#192133 - 10/01/15 11:24 AM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Otherwise, you end up with a pack that rides like a tired three-year-old on your back.

Oh what a pack that would turn out to be. Squeaking & squawking in your ears all the time, rides so far back it pulls your shirt up choking you while allowing rain to get all down the back of your neck. Probably bounces at the waist too. The picture of a whining, choking, crying & kicking kid becomes clear.

Then again, if hiking with your significant other, you may get the, "Give [it] here, you're not doing it right!" and not have to carry the pack at all.

Either way, still have to decide on which is best for you.

On the serious side, I could quote the rest of Glenn's post. All good advice. Myself, I'd carry the extra bit of weight for the more comfortable wear.

#192134 - 10/01/15 12:19 PM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
alph2294 Offline

Thanks for some great answers -- this has been really helpful to this flailing Newbie!

#192137 - 10/01/15 02:06 PM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: alph2294]
Rick_D Offline

To pile on, there are different stay types and different configurations. Removable metal (aluminum) or carbon fiber stays sometimes are just there to lend shape and stiffness to the back panel. More effective designs also use the stays to mechanically connect the hip belt and shoulder yoke and therefore are critical to overall suspension dynamics. Take it/them out and you have a fancy flour sack.

More sophisticated designs will pair the stay(s) both with a thermoplastic frame sheet and a perimeter frame hoop of aluminum, spring steel, delrin or cf. If a pack uses hoop to connect the yoke, hip wings and load-control straps, the stay can often be removed for lighter loads with no performance penalty.

Shorter version: it depends.

Cheers,

#192140 - 10/01/15 05:51 PM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: Rick_D]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I would look at the rest of the suspension before pulling stays. If you have a hipbelt that is designed to carry a heavy load, then when you remove the stays, the hipbelt is useless. If you can, remove the hipbelt as well. I would also look at the rest of the pack for cutting stuff off. The hipbelt and stays would be the last part I removed.

#192147 - 10/03/15 05:55 PM Re: remove backpack stays? [Re: OregonMouse]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I removed my stays from my REI Flash 50 and found no difference with my overnight load (17 lbs). I am pretty easy to please though, I have never had a pack I didn't like and have never had a pack problem (75 yrs old 170 lbs, 5'-9")

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 255 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum