Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192096 - 09/28/15 11:14 AM Rocky Horror...
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
OK...help me out. I am a 37 year old, fast approaching adulthood (I will never grow up...wink!) and I have yet to experience the Rocky Horror Picture Show. This was a big thing for my friends in high school and seemed to have a cult following. Is it really that important to see, or better yet experience live?

I figured I could live my life without ever seeing Tim Curry (or anyone else for that matter) in drag...not to impugn anyone's life choices, it's just not for me. Do I need to go against my grain and check this thing out? All opinions welcome...

#192100 - 09/28/15 02:49 PM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: dylansdad77]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Well, I've made it to 78 without seeing the movie. Seeing it isn't a high priority on my lifetime to-do list either. I drove past a theatre where it was playing not long ago and the crowd waiting to get in looked like they were going to a cross-dressing costume party. Not my style.

And, I won't think poorly of you if you don't see it.

#192102 - 09/28/15 04:14 PM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: dylansdad77]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I'm about a year older than you and I went several times in college. It was fun then, but I don't have a deep need to go back again. You could rent it, but it certainly is a different experience in person.

It is a celebration of counter culture and if that is against your grain, then yes maybe you should see just to experience it. If you do choose to see it live and you don't want to get on stage and do dorky stuff you don't have to fess up to being a virgin (first timer seeing the show).

I would say on its face it isn't a great movie. The cult following comes from the culture it was made in and the culture we continue to live in. I don't think it is overly sexual. I think it is more slapstick and challenges sexual norms.

#192106 - 09/28/15 07:26 PM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm about to turn 80 and have never seen it nor had the desire to see it. It's sort of a cult thing, I think. I know my children have seen it but don't know about the grandkids (the eldest of whom is almost 30). They probably wouldn't tell me if they have!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/28/15 07:27 PM)

#192112 - 09/29/15 10:05 PM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: dylansdad77]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Actually tried to watch it at a party and made it through about 20 min. before getting bored. Wife did the dress-up cult movie thing in college, and said it was because the movie was so bad.
You should see "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

#192131 - 10/01/15 10:02 AM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: dylansdad77]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
This made me chuckle laugh

I moved from Rockford, IL to Hollywood Ca when I was 14. I think I was about 18 when a girl I was dating asked me to go see it. I'd heard about it, but had no real idea what it was about.

I was a bit shocked by it. I saw trannies everyday living there, but I was amazed by all the people who were there dressed in character and playing out the parts while the movie was showing, and all the throwing of rice and water and what not by the rest of the audience.

Yes, you should see it, and I'll tell you why. People actually lived for that movie. It meant something big to them. In Los Angeles back then everyone there belonged to a "clique", and Rocky Horror created one, which is notable.

I don't think that was intentional. I don't see how it could have been. It was intended to be campy and they pulled it off wonderfully well. It's pretty hard not to jump up and "Do the Time Warp" by the time it's wrapping up. You have to work at keeping yourself stuck in the mud to not get up and dance with everyone by the end of that movie, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

But it's notable because of the subject it exposed. It opened a window into a lifestyle that most people didn't have a clue about. It depicted being gay or bi as harmless fun and made them less scary for straight people. It inspired a lot of people to come out of the closet, and others who were never in one to get up and dance with them just for the fun of it. The reach of that effect was by far greater than the movie itself.

I saw it again in my late 20s and had a lot of fun. By then I wasn't feeling the pressure anymore to join a clique or explore my sexuality. I was fine being straight and didn't care if someone was gay or bi as long as they weren't hounding me incessantly, which I'd found didn't happen very often blush

So, yeah, I think everyone should "Do the Time Warp" at least once, even if you are 80 years old wink

"You want to go where?"

#192136 - 10/01/15 01:32 PM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: billstephenson]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Ah just go see it. Participate and forget your everyday cares and worries. That's what things like Rocky Horror are really about. Ya never know you may even enjoy yourself.

#192166 - 10/05/15 11:38 AM Re: Rocky Horror... [Re: tramp]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By tramp
Ah just go see it. Participate and forget your everyday cares and worries. That's what things like Rocky Horror are really about. Ya never know you may even enjoy yourself.

Great advice!

It really is an hilarious movie.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum