Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191871 - 09/14/15 04:27 PM aqua mira tablets vs. liquid
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
Anyone have an opinion on why to get one vs. the other? Do they both work as well? Anyone have experience with the Lifestraw -- pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

#191875 - 09/14/15 05:20 PM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: alph2294]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The liquid is not approved by the EPA for giardia or cryptosporidium. The Aquamira goes through a lot of beating around the bush on their website, but that is the real story. Unfortunately, I am away from home and do not have my link to the source, but it is reputable. Aquamira also has a filter (supposed to filter out giardia while you use chemicals for bacteria and viruses), but nowhere on their website could I find the filter size. Turns out (after a day of research) that it's 3 microns, two microns bigger than what is recommended for filtering protozoa and their cysts.

Personally, I far prefer a filter, although I do carry some of the tablets as backup (especially since the time I forgot the tablets and my filter clogged...)

I'm not familiar with the Lifestraw but wonder how a straw could be used to fill a container.

You might want to read what the Centers for Dissease Control has to say on the subject.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/14/15 05:34 PM)

#191878 - 09/14/15 10:52 PM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: OregonMouse]
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
Thanks for the CDC link, very helpful.
here is a link to info about the Lifestraw. Very light and handles bacteria and protozoa. Not good for viruses, though and wouldn't be very useful for cleaning pots of water for cooking. Maybe use it to sip water from a bottle that you have treated with alta mira for double protection? Or just decide that you're not worried about virus.

http://www.buylifestraw.com/en/products/lifestraw-personal

#191879 - 09/15/15 10:04 AM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Not in disagreement, but just to augment with a couple of other points:

The treatment time listed for the liquid is much lower, or at least last I looked. I think the tablets have a four hour treatment time; liquid is as low as 15 minutes, though typically one increases doseage and if possible treatment time for what are perceived to be sketchier water sources.

The liquid is also a lot cheaper, again, last time I looked anyway.

I've been a happy user of the liquid for many years and miles. I did get something like giardia once, but I wasn't treating at all from springs on that trail so that might well have not been the fault of Aqua Mira.

#191881 - 09/15/15 12:35 PM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: BrianLe]

The treatment time for the liquid is low because it's not approved to kill protozoa (giardia, cryptosporidium). Those beasties take a lot longer to kill than do bacteria and viruses.

The 4 hour treatment time listed for the tablets is based on cold (40*F), very cloudy water. In other words, it's the worst case scenario. There is, unfortunately, no data on in-between scenarios (say 45*F clear water). I would suspect that the latter scenario would take less treatment time, but there is no evidence available how much time would be needed. A major pain, IMHO!

A lot of us who have been in the backcountry frequently for long periods and for many years, often drinking untreated water, are probably immune to the beasties.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/15/15 12:49 PM)

#191933 - 09/19/15 04:12 PM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: alph2294]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I carry a Lifestraw as a backup most times, but after several years of that I've still not used it yet. Everything I've read about them says they work. I have no reason to doubt they do. But, they're made for drinking out of, not for filling a container, so they're limited by that. That company does make a gravity filter version, but it's pretty expensive by comparison so I'd opt a Sawyer Mini Squeeze filter before getting one of those.

Personally, I won't use chorine. I use a lightweight and inexpensive activated charcoal filter made by Britta (the one made for their "Squeeze" bottles), and if I'm not getting my water from a clear running spring I'll boil it after filtering it.

The reason I don't use chorine is I suspect it probably kills good gut bacteria which makes you more susceptible to things giardia, cryptosporidium, E. coli, etc.

I don't always boil my water because drinking from local sources helps build your immunity to things like E. coli, giardia, and cryptosporidium that may be living in that area's water sources. But, I've not taken any antibiotics in years, and that's an important factor in how susceptible you are to getting sick from these bugs.

If you have taken antibiotics recently it's best to make sure your water is throughly sanitized and best not to use chlorine at all. Both of those kill off your good gut bugs and increase your risk of misery by a lot.

All that said, I'm probably the only here who does this, so keep that in mind wink

"You want to go where?"

#191935 - 09/19/15 06:44 PM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: billstephenson]

Actually, the chlorine dioxide tablets release oxygen which does the purifying. ClO2 is quite a quite different compound from household bleach, sodium hypochlorite.

However, I've occasionally noticed a residual chlorine taste after using ClO2 tablets, which doesn't exactly taste good. That and the long treatment time needed for protozoans is why I use them only for emergency backup.

#191936 - 09/19/15 11:26 PM Re: aqua mira tablets vs. liquid [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Chlorine Dioxide is still very toxic and ends up as chlorite when used to treat water, which is toxic too and no doubt kills some of your good gut bugs.

Another overlooked option for sanitizing water is sunlight. That takes about 6 hours on a sunny day, so depending on conditions that can be a very doable option too. It doesn't work on overcast days though, so it's not always a good backup plan. But, here again, if you filter your water with charcoal before you set it out in the sun it will sanitize faster than if you didn't.

No, charcoal filtering doesn't "purify" water, but it makes it easier to purify rather you use chlorine or sunlight, and it removes chlorine after it's been treated with it, and that's a very important step in the process that should not be ignored.

I know we've all overlooked this step since we started using chlorine, but we were ignorant. We really didn't know any better.

Here's some info on that...

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum