Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191789 - 09/08/15 01:43 AM I am such a slow hiker.......
judy Offline

Loc: So Calif
Very new to hiking, old and out of shape:) hope to remedy that. My children really do not want me to hike alone for safety reasons, I have looked at a few groups and meet ups but I am so slow, even on flat ground that I slow everyone down. On top of that I really enjoy taking my time and snapping some pics so if I do try to hurry to keep up with everyone, 1) i can't keep up and 2) I don't enjoy myself.
Will I speed up as i get in shape or am i destined to be a mile behind forever?
Can anyone relate or have any suggestions?

#191792 - 09/08/15 10:29 AM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: judy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Very much depending on where you live, perhaps there's an outdoor group that you haven't considered or --- haven't connected the right sort of "subset group".

Where I live we have the Mountaineers, a very large group with somewhat of a mountain climbing focus, but they do all sorts of things.

I find that mid-week hikes tend to go on the slow and easy side, because it's mostly retired people who can get the time off to do these. There's also a "naturalist" group within the club, and these folks do classes and walks where the focus is on flora and perhaps occasionally fauna. They stop a lot to look at plants and overall their hikes are pretty slow.

What you might find helpful is to connect with camera buffs who also like to hike, as they --- like you --- will tend to have slower pace and will similarly like to stop to take photos along the way.

I think the only one who can decide whether you'll speed up is you. You might, but you might very well also have a natural pace that's slower than "average". Nothing wrong with that!!
Doing some (more?) hiking around home and working some to keep your gear light (still safe, but lighter) will perhaps help.

#191800 - 09/08/15 08:24 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: BrianLe]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'm 65, and I often hike with fairly large groups (I help lead beginner classes); they tend to break into smaller groups of folks along the trail, who have similar hiking speeds. I often am with the slower groups, partly because someone among the leadership group needs to, but mostly because that's my comfortable hiking pace, too.

If you can find one or two other "slow" hikers, form your own sub-group. Just be sure you have a good map, very specific information on the route and campsite of the rest of the group, and are self-sufficent enough in gear that you can spend the night apart from the larger group. Also, be sure to let the group leader know you're going to be lagging behind; if he/she is any good, they'll know how to accomodate your pace without slowing down the group (often by giving you the specific information noted above, and by occasionally having someone else wait to be sure you're still progressing, or waiting for you to catch up at stream crossings or trail junctions.

Once you've made those kinds of arrangements, relax and hike at your own pace. Slow only matters if you're trying to win a race.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (09/08/15 08:29 PM)

#191866 - 09/14/15 03:56 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: judy]
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
I am very slow also, so much so that it is discouraging me from thinking about backpacking trips. I would like to do the John Muir Trail, but wonder if I ever could.

I hope you don't get discouraged and find a way to get started. Finding suitable people to backpack with is a big obstacle. I have been looking for myself and may have finally found a prospect, but I know how hard it can be.

As we get older, many of our friends are not as active and don't aspire to hiking trips.

I hope you find a way to get out there!!!

#191869 - 09/14/15 04:21 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: judy]
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
The Sierra Club in my area offers a "beginners" backpack on a regular basis. I am hoping this will help me get started. I also notice that REI offers some easy guided backpacks for beginners. Maybe something like that would make sense to get experience, at least at the beginning.

#191880 - 09/15/15 10:13 AM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: alph2294]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I'd like to add that hiking speed is just one part of the equation.

Miles traveled per day can be important, insofar as if you do too few of them, the weight of food you have to carry on your back can be excessive for some stretches.

But total miles traveled per day is based on average hiking speed AND average number of hours you spend walking.

Long distance hikers, particularly older ones, don't necessarily hike super fast. Some do, but just being efficient in camp and thus spending more of your time on trail can make a big difference. Particularly in late spring and early summer when there are so very many hours of daylight.

In that context, being in good enough physical condition such that you don't need a lot of long breaks and can just happily "keep going" can result in a lot of miles hiked per day without moving terribly fast or, hopefully, feeling wiped out at the end of the day.

I'm not saying that this approach is definitely right for you, but ... maybe?

#191882 - 09/15/15 01:06 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: judy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
On the opposite side, I quit hiking with groups because in my efforts to keep up, I felt I was increasing my risk of an accident. I also prefer to be independent and set my own pace. I absolutely refuse to allow my children (who sometimes think they have become my parents) to dictate what I do. I had to make that very clear and hurt some feelings to accomplish this. However, I did compromise enough to buy a Personal Locator Beacon so I can "push the button" should I become seriously ill or injured (do remember, though, that it's only for life-and-death emergencies). I figure it's worth the extra 6 ounces to keep my kids off my back--a psychological weight saving! Of course by the time I got to that state, I'd been hiking/backpacking/horsepacking in the wilderness for over 50 years. If you're not experienced, my example is probably not a good idea.

If you can find a group that is mostly seniors, that might be your best bet. They should at least understand the needs of slower hikers.

Do you use trekking poles? I find that I can go quite a bit faster with them than without, and they greatly help with balance issues over rough ground. I use them even for exercise walking, because they turn walking into a whole-body exercise that works the core muscles.

EDIT, LATER: Hiking well-populated trails when lots of people are around is a reasonable substitute, safety-wise, for going with a group. You're independent, but there are people around to respond for a call for help. That's what I did when I first started hiking solo. I also made sure (from cars parked at the parking lot) that someone had gone up the trail ahead of me, and I started back early enough so that I wasn't the last person on the trail.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/15/15 05:24 PM)

#191888 - 09/15/15 04:37 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: judy]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
First off, you going hiking is about you, not them. Hike your own speed. I once hiked with 3 other people who were all much fast then me. I gave up the middle of the second day trying to keep up. I just walked my own pace...alone in the solitude. It was actually very relaxing and enjoyable. They would stop at major intersections or other random places and wait for me. I took lots of pictures...and they enjoyed the pictures afterwards.
If your kids are too worried...tell them to stuff it! smile You could also make them buy you a SPOT, or even two two-way radios (one for you and one for the group you are in). That way you can call for help, and they can know where you are.
If you aren't enjoying yourself, something needs to change. This is suppose to be enjoyable.

This last July I passed a group of 6 seniors. They all looked over 60. Some looked 70. Good for them! Hopefully I will be there as well when I get to that age.

Edited by finallyME (09/15/15 04:39 PM)

#191891 - 09/16/15 12:42 AM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: finallyME]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I call my wife the Chucky doll. She is slow, but she rarely stops. It's amazing how many people she ultimately passes on a day on the trail.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#191954 - 09/21/15 04:57 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: judy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You never quantitatively defined what you consider "slow".

It is not the speed of your hiking but the total amount of hours needed to get a certain amount of miles that defines "slow". The biggest thing that slows you down is stopping. "Slow and steady" often ends up fast enough to reach your goal.

Do not let others determine your pace, or your goals. However, following an experienced hiker can sometimes help you understand how to pace yourself. When I started running, a coach paced me for a few days until I got the hang of it.

There is also a psychological "leader's advantage" when walking in a group. Most people feel "slow" or actually slow down when following, yet will speed up a bit when in the lead. On an obvious trail, I always put my slowest person at the head of the line.

If I accept a hiking partner, I feel it is my duty not to leave them in the dust. That simply is part of the responsibility of leading. If you have been abandoned in groups, you are hiking in the wrong group!

#192800 - 12/04/15 08:39 PM Re: I am such a slow hiker....... [Re: wandering_daisy]
WonderMonkey Offline

Loc: OH
When I was very overweight I was very slow and even injured myself when I attempted to go too far too fast too soon. As I got control of my weight hiking was one of my exercise options. Sometimes I would just meander, other times I would hike a distance I was comfortable with a bit faster, and other times I would hold a steady pace and go a bit further.

If you truly feel you NEED or heck just WANT to become faster then any form of exercise is going to help you out. If you are out of shape as you state then just the process of getting INTO shape is going to speed you up a bit.

If you can do a 3 mile (or whatever distance) leisurely hike now then do the same hike with an empty (except some water) backpack. When you are ready add a bit of weight and keep going until you have a full backpack, whatever that is to you. It's a good way to get stronger, in better shape, and get used to the weight of a backpack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum