Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191727 - 08/28/15 12:05 PM Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65
Danny303 Offline

Hello there! I was hoping to get some advice/input from you all, here is the situation.

I recently purchased the Black Diamond Mercury 65 and this past weekend took it on a little backpacking trip. Fully loaded with all my gear it rang in just over 33 pounds. I really enjoyed it on my trip, and had ZERO issues with fit, fatigue, or any other negative experiences with it. However on future trips I will have my camera gear, and could easily exceed 40+ pounds. So that's where my dilemma is. I've read several reviews talking about how the Black Diamond isn't great above 35-40 pounds, as the shoulder straps can create discomfort.

I've also read great reviews for the Osprey Atmos 65, and i'm wondering if that pack might be better for larger loads.

What are your opinions? Is the only way to know for sure to buy each and test each in the field with a heavy load? Is there another way to assess the situation? Or should I just keep the BD because i've already had good luck with it?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Best,

Danny

#191729 - 08/28/15 01:42 PM Re: Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65 [Re: Danny303]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Get the scoop on your existing pack by loading it up and trying it. Might as well find out now. As to the Osprey, if you can get to a store and demo it with sandbags, hopefully with a salesperson who can fit you properly, that should tell the tale. IIRC the Atmos series are mid-weight haulers but they've expanded the line since I last looked at them.

Cheers,

#191730 - 08/28/15 02:52 PM Re: Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65 [Re: Danny303]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Pack manufacturers' websites have specifications for each of their packs which include the maximum recommended weight. Look that up and subtract 5 lbs. However, pack fit is a very individual matter, so it's better for you to test this number yourself.

As Rick suggests, before doing anything else, load your present pack back up with the added gear and try a hike or two, even if it's just a couple of hours around your neighborhood. Be sure to include food (or the weight/volume equivalent) for the longest period you'll be out, and a day's water (water is heavy!(. See if the pack remains comfortable for you! Remember that the reviewers aren't you!

When shopping for a pack, it's best to pack up your gear and take it to the store. Gear, food and water carry far differently than sandbags.

The most important aspects of a pack (I say this every time!) are fit, fit and fit. . The pack must fit you, must fit your gear and must fit and be comfortable for you to wear with your gear inside. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit. For example, I can't wear Osprey packs at all--their hipbelts cause me considerable pain. Lots of people love Osprey.

As we often say here, Your Mileage May Vary!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/28/15 03:00 PM)

#191735 - 08/28/15 05:40 PM Re: Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65 [Re: OregonMouse]
Danny303 Offline

Thank you both for the great advice. I figured the acid test would be to try each on and have experience with them, and I'm glad to confirm that here. I am going to try and get to an REI this weekend and see if I can't try out the Osprey.

It's great to learn that packs are that individual, because now I won't just assume reviews can be generalized.

The more I thought about it, the thing I like MOST about the BD is the pivoting hip belt. Because of this I think i'll probably stay with the BD, as they Osprey doesn't have this feature.

#191736 - 08/28/15 07:38 PM Re: Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65 [Re: Danny303]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'd agree with what the other two said. However, also take a look at the Osprey Volt 60 and Volt 75 (whichever will hold your gear - take your gear with you and load it up; don't trust sandbags, as they distribute wieght differently.) In my opinion, they are far superior to the Atmos Series pack, and handle weight much better. They're also much easier to get the fit right. The new Atmos AG series can be a little finicky to adjust properly - and if you don't, the thing hangs on your back like a tired three-year-old.

#191737 - 08/28/15 09:29 PM Re: Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65 [Re: Rick_D]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
To follow up, agree that compact dead weight isn't a good pack preview tool. Luckily our REI has a barrel of sandbags (no monkeys) and pillows that combined can decently approximate a full load with the weight distributed where I'd typically concentrate it. Confess to being too darn lazy to lug my own stuff to a store.

At home, jugs of water and random clothing work well.

Cheers,

#191738 - 08/28/15 10:10 PM Re: Osprey Atmos 65 vs Black Diamond Mercury 65 [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
I'd agree with what the other two said. However, also take a look at the Osprey Volt 60 and Volt 75 (whichever will hold your gear - take your gear with you and load it up; don't trust sandbags, as they distribute wieght differently.) In my opinion, they are far superior to the Atmos Series pack, and handle weight much better. They're also much easier to get the fit right. The new Atmos AG series can be a little finicky to adjust properly - and if you don't, the thing hangs on your back like a tired three-year-old.

Much as I like the looks of the Atmos and had a discount to apply to one, I could not get it to sit right on me with several fittings and adjustments. I gave up and decided it was OK, but not an improvement on what I already have. Love the line about the tired 3 year old! Couldn't agree more with all said above. Fit is it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum