Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191652 - 08/19/15 04:04 PM Osprey tempest?
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
I am looking at the Osprey tempest 40. Anyone have experience with this pack? Am wondering what weight would be reasonable to carry with it.

Are Osprey packs worth it? Pros and cons?

#191653 - 08/19/15 05:08 PM Re: Osprey tempest? [Re: alph2294]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
They are generally well-made packs. I think most veterans here would recommend that you buy the pack that fits--that's the key element. There are lots of packs that work, but only if you are really comfortable wearing them.

A forty liter pack will be able to carry just about anything you can fit into it--because 40 liters is pretty small. By the time you get a sleeping bag and a tent in there, you won't have room for a lot of heavy stuff. I'd think 30 pounds is a lot for this pack, but it would be hard to get 30 pounds INTO it, unless you are carrying bricks.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#191654 - 08/19/15 06:13 PM Re: Osprey tempest? [Re: alph2294]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
If you are backpacking in the Sierra you will likely have to also carry a bear canister. A 40L pack is quite small and most likely will not accommodate a bear can. Depends on how many days- there are small bear cans designed for 2-3 day trips. But if going a week or more, it would be tight.

If you try the pack on at a store, see if they have a bear can so you can see if it fits.

The only way you will really know is to buy the pack and then fill it at home and carry it around the house a for a few days to see how it feels. If it is not right, send/take it back. Definitely do not buy a non-returnable item and be sure to leave on all the tags until you decide to keep it.

#191658 - 08/19/15 10:52 PM Re: Osprey tempest? [Re: alph2294]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The manufacturer's website will have the maximum recommended weight for each pack model (subtract 5 lbs. for comfort; usually the maximum is a bit overstated).

It's highly recommended that you acquire all or most of your other gear before buying your pack. The pack has to fit you, fit your gear and be comfortable for you hiking with your gear inside. Not everyone is comfortable in an Osprey pack (my hips and their hip belts are definitely incompatible). Pack fit is nearly as individual as shoe fit.

Please note W_D's comments on the bear canister, required in much of California (and in some places elsewhere). I have managed to get a bear canister (Bearikade Weekender) into my 40L pack, but it's a very tight fit, and the rest of my gear is really compact. That's the only time I've had to use the extension collar, so with the canister the pack capacity used was more like 50L. I also had to squeeze more items into the outside pockets than I wanted to.

Check out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column for more info on slecting a pack.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/19/15 10:55 PM)

#191660 - 08/20/15 01:02 PM Re: Osprey tempest? [Re: alph2294]
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
Many thanks for the comments about the bear canister. Given that, maybe it would it be better to look at larger packs...
I have been reading Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum and he uses a 2,400 c.i. pack but maybe doesn't carry a bear canister.

Are bear canisters required anywhere on the PCT in Oregon? That is a section I am considering to start.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum