Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191481 - 07/28/15 11:30 AM Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners..
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
Or just your fave brand of freeze dried food?
Thanks!
Dave

#191483 - 07/28/15 04:50 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
bluefish Offline

Smaller companies like Packit Gourmet and Hawk Vittles work for us. Mountain Outhouse and Backdoor Pantry have made me sick. Just our taste, I'm sure some of their stuff is fine, but not to my wife and I.
Some of the dried mash potatoes are good when mixed with some olive oil and summer sausage. The Putanesca Pasta from Packit Gourmet is our all time favorite. We now copy it with our home dehydrator.

#191485 - 07/28/15 06:20 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I make up my own meals, using part home dehydrated food and part freeze dried ingredients. I generally buy the freeze-dried portions (some meat and some veggies) from Packit Gourmet or Just Tomatoes. For a long trip, I buy freeze dried fruit, usually from Just Tomatoes, because it's lighter than dehydrated. For a trip of a few days, though, I use the bulk organic dehydrated fruit from Fred Meyer (Kroger subsidiary). It doesn't have sulfites, which I can't stand.

A good website for backpacking meals, some of which use supermarket ingredients, is trailcooking.com.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/28/15 06:21 PM)

#191558 - 08/05/15 12:04 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I know that for some people the convenience of buying prepackaged freeze-dried meals is worth the money and loss of portion control that comes with that choice. For myself, I have always assembled my own meals, largely from supermarket ingredients supplemented by a few freeze-dried items.

Various pastas or other starchy bases, like instant rice, couscous or instant mashed potatoes, are easy to find. You can find dried onion or garlic flakes in any supermarket, usually shelved with the spices. Sun-dried tomatoes are also widely available now. For freeze-dried vegetables I use Just Tomatoes brand (hint: they sell more than tomatoes) and PackIt Gourmet. TVP granules can be purchased from Bob's Red Mill. The key for making a pleasing meal seems to be the amount of salt, herbs or spices you add.

OM's suggestion of trailcooking.com is worth your time to check out. It gives you tested recipes for home-assembled meals that you can work from.

As for the commercial all-in-one freeze dried meals, I think individual taste will play a large role in what seems edible and it will come down to trial and error. I'll let others who've gone through that lengthy process speak up about their favorites.

#191578 - 08/08/15 10:11 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: aimless]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Some backpackers I met make a quick trip to a grocery store for ramen/rice/etc., and instant bean-based soup cups. They use the soups as the sauce for the noodles or rice. Somewhat high sodium but light and reasonably cheap.

#191661 - 08/20/15 02:14 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: CamperMom]
Danny303 Offline

Good info guys, but I have a serious question. If you prepare your own freeze dried meals, what sort of bag do you store them in so you can just add boiling water? I'm assuming a normal zip-lock is not sufficient?

#191664 - 08/20/15 03:09 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: Danny303]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Zippered freezer bags, one for each portion. They are designed to take hot water, since frozen food is blanched before freezing. Note that by the time you take your water off the stove or fire and pour it into the freezer bag, it's below boiling. Freezer bags are not, however, designed to be immersed in boiling water, and that shouldn't be necessary. There are other types of bags designed for boil-in-bag situations.

Of course you can rehydrate your food in your cooking pot, if you don't mind washing the pot afterwards. (Unless you put the pot back on the fire, the food won't stick to it to any great degree.) If you're traveling solo, you can eat ouf ot the pot, a bit less messy than trying to eat out of a freezer bag. I prefer to eat out of the freezer bag and use the rest of the hot water in the pot for tea, which I drink from the pot. YMMV, here!

Note that freeze-drying, unlike dehydrating, is not something you can do at home--it requires specialized equipment.

#191665 - 08/20/15 03:14 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: Danny303]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Personally, I use ordinary ziplocs to store the food, then I use the pot that I heat water in to cook the meals in. Washing the pot and spoon is no big chore.

Others use freezer bags, which are heavier duty, pour in the boiling water and place the bag in a pot cozy to stay hot as the food reconstitutes. This method is explained at trailcooking.com.

#191668 - 08/20/15 03:40 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: Danny303]
CamperMom Offline

My go-to bags for single-serve meals are well-washed and thoroughly dried mylar snack bags, as from chips, popcorn, etc. Reseal the bottom for safety before adding the dehydrated food, partially seal, remove air with a straw, complete the seal. An ordinary clothes iron on a fairly low heat will serve to seal these. These bags are more vapor and puncture-resistant than most plastic bags. Also, if necessary, they can be placed into a pot of hot water if more cooking time is required.

#200580 - 03/28/18 04:10 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: bluefish]
mogwai Offline

Loc: Texas
This is an old post but holy cow!! I just ordered a few meals from packit gourmet to try out...some of those look fantastic!

#201086 - 06/04/18 03:53 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
troutstalker Offline

Loc: CO
I've tried making my own using recipes I found online and they just don't come close to the quality taste of the store bought brands. I keep going back to the brands: Good To-Go, Backpacker's Pantry and AlpineAire

#201089 - 06/04/18 04:01 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: troutstalker]
CamperMom Offline

This is truly a "to each his own" thing. The consistently unsatisfactory brands in my experience have been Alpine Aire and Backpacker's Pantry. I have better luck with adding extra protein and veggies to Mountain House, mostly relying on the MH as a base.

#202127 - 11/19/18 08:24 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
tycruise Offline

I like the Mountain House Chili Mac With Beef the best.

#202195 - 12/03/18 07:29 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
Matt Miller Offline

Loc: Dallas, GA, United States
PPackit gourmet. I have tried their Pasta Beef Bolognese. Not only it tasted good but was also affordable.

#202293 - 12/11/18 10:55 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
I've always been a Mountain House guy. Tried others over the years but have always gone back to MH.

Favorite meals awesome -
Dinner-Pasta Primavera
Breakfast-Breakfast Skillet on a small tortilla with a little salsa

#203046 - 05/19/19 07:46 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: troutstalker]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I got tired of freeze-dried meals years ago and gave up on them. Then last week my wife gave me a one-meal Mt. House Beef Strogonoff and my faith in freeze-dried meals was renewed. I will definitely try that again. It dehydrated easily, it was tasty, and with a bagel it seemed like a nice dinner portion. funny, but I don't see the single meal package on line. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-House-Beef-Stroganoff-with-Noodles/21064303

#203150 - 06/30/19 01:14 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: Jim M]
CamperMom Offline

Outfitters may have the single meal pouches. You can sign up for the Mountain House newsletter for notices of sales.

#203152 - 06/30/19 02:55 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: CamperMom]
CamperMom Offline

Speaking of MH sales, this was just in my email. (No, I have no affiliation with Mountain House.)

Enjoy smaller portions and bigger savings with 1-serve pouches of your favorite freeze-dried meals! We produced a limited run of these single-serving pouches, and that run is now coming to an end. So we're moving them out in order to make room for new good stuff coming in.

Stock up on these single serving pouches while you can. They're great for smaller appetites, meals on-the-go, emergency kits, or for a lunch on the trail!

Each pouch is on sale for just $4.49 each, plus get FREE shipping, while supplies last.

Use code: BELOW5

* offer valid 6/30 - 07/04 or while supplies last
"

#203297 - 07/28/19 01:07 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: ]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
^^ We just had this a few days ago...and yep, it's on our list of good ones.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#204277 - 04/20/20 06:58 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Dinners.. [Re: rabbitearscarver]
haan9953 Offline

Mountain House - Chicken and Dumplings.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum