Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191548 - 08/04/15 09:54 PM Wild Fire Smoke
sotafan Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Heading to the mountains near Yellowstone this Saturday for 10 days of backcountry backpacking and am wondering how the smoke will effect the air quality and of course the views. Has anyone been in the area or near there that can report on the visibility? I would like to get an idea on that to expect.

If you have past experience with hiking with the smoke from the west, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Edited by sotafan (08/06/15 09:22 AM)

#191549 - 08/04/15 10:25 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: sotafan]
bobito9 Offline

Well, unfortunately smoke has affected my trips for each of the last four years, including a trip I did to the Wind River Range in Wyoming 4 years ago. 2014 and 2013 there were really bad fires affecting me in the Sierra Nevada. When the gigantic Rim Fire burned in Yosemite, I actually changed my route to a trailhead 60 miles south, it was that bad. Last summer when I did the JMT, I really couldn't change my route, and unfortunately I had some very smokey days But I still had a great time on all my trips overall. Long distance views can be hazy, but usually it's clearer in the mornings at least. I'm a big believer in changing my itinerary if I think it's necessary, so one thought is to have a plan B. For eg, if it seems like it will be clearer to the south, say in Teton or the Winds, go there instead. Still going to have fantastic scenery. Good luck and have fun.

#191551 - 08/04/15 10:44 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: bobito9]
sotafan Offline

We are going to the Beartooths and the Winds.

Is there someplace to check the conditions?

#191554 - 08/05/15 02:45 AM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: sotafan]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I suggest calling the local ranger station.

Air quality can vary a lot, but my experience in hiking not too-o far from fires has been mostly good. FWIW !

One sort of upside: you can get some spectacular sunsets, and views of the sun through smoke can at times make you feel like you're in a science fiction story.

But call the local rangers and get their current best guess.

#191559 - 08/05/15 12:19 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: sotafan]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The air quality and views will depend on the whims of wind and weather. It is impossible to predict in advance when and where wildfires will start, how close they will be to your hiking destination, what volume of smoke they'll put into the air and whether the wind will blow it your way.

I can tell you that smoke from a very large fire can travel hundred of miles downwind, that smoke haze will affect the views at low concentrations that will not affect your sinuses and lungs, or only very mildly affect them.

The best strategy I know of is to consult government websites that give information about wildfires. In Oregon and Washington I use http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/. I am sure there are similar sites for other parts of the west. If a big fire is nearby and the wind direction is unfavorable, having a plan B is usually the best response.

Good luck!

#191561 - 08/05/15 03:18 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This year, in the Pacific Northwest, it's well to have a Plan C and a Plan D!

Inciweb is your best source for current fire locations and other information. You can get the info by state. Just be aware that the situation may change hourly! For an example, we just had a minor, isolated, lightning caused blaze flare up into a monster that is burning most of the south side of Lake Chelan and filling the area with smoke to the point that even people nowhere near the fire are leaving in droves. It went from a tiny fire to 4,000 acres Saturday and as of last night (Tuesday) was up to 25,000 acres.

It may not be quite that dry where you're going, but do keep checking up until the last minute!

EDIT, LATER: So I won't get snarled at by local members (just kidding, 99.9%l our members are friendly and polite and never snarl!), the Wolverine fire is actually burning the west side of Lake Chelan--the lake runs more north-south. This long, narrow lake is down in a funnel for winds, which is of course causing the problem. This will not, however, affect Wyoming or Montana.

EDIT AGAIN, MUCH LATER! I went through 11 pages of Inciweb and could find no listings of large active fires in the areas of the Beartooths or the Wind Rivers. The only one close is in the Big Horn Range which is farther east and therefore downwind.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/05/15 11:36 PM)

#191570 - 08/06/15 09:21 AM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: OregonMouse]
sotafan Offline

I just checked that site out and noticed that same thing. That is a great site and very helpful. Thanks. I will keep checking to ensure we don't run into a fire area.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Happy Trails

#191571 - 08/06/15 01:46 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: sotafan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Have a good time! Please don't forget that the "price" of our advice is trip reports! laugh

#191572 - 08/06/15 01:51 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: OregonMouse]
sotafan Offline

LOL, yes I will be sure to post a trip report on our adventure!! Less then 48 hours and we will be on our way!

#191575 - 08/06/15 10:14 PM Re: Wild Fire Smoke [Re: sotafan]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
We are headed to the Canadian Rockies for a road trip in late August. I found this great website for Canada:

http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum