Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191535 - 08/03/15 07:04 PM (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight
Fingers Offline

Loc: Seattle area - East Side
I'm looking to replace my headlamp and flashlight. I'm sure I could figure my questions out if I were to go into a store and look in person, but just no time for it right now.

Current flashlights:
Handheld Light#1 Positive: Water resistant. Wind up so I never have to replace batteries; Negative: bulky and fairly heavy. Also loses charge quickly so I'm always winding (Amazon Winding Flashlight)

Handheld Light#2 Positive: Bright as the sun. Negative: fell apart/buttons broke in bag. Kind of heavy (flashlight)

Handheld Light#3 Positive: lightweight and durable; Negative: single beam setting, batteries don't last (Mini Maglite from Home Depot)

What I'm looking for: Kinda the positives from each. Light, durable, battery that lasts, multiple brightness and beam settings -flood and spotlight if possible.

Current headlamps
Pretty much every headlamp I've ever purchased has slits where the elastic band attaches to the actual headlamp. The elastic gets normal wear and begins to slide out of those slits and the headlamp won't stay on. Extremely frustrating to say the least.

So mostly looking for a headlamp that won't just fall off my head. Trying to stay under $25 but if it's a headlamp that won't break if treated roughly and the elastic won't slip off, I'll go higher.

Thank you!

#191536 - 08/03/15 08:45 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Fingers]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have been using the same Petzel e-Light since 2007 and have yet to change the batteries. I have heard some people complain that it is not bright enough but that is not my experience. I used it on two thru hikes of the JMT with a total of about 8 hours of use and have not felt the need of anything "better" (ie, more expensive). The light uses two CR 2032 batteries and seems to go forever on one set. I carry spares in my repair kit but so far have never used them. I also carry a small pinch light (Photon) for simple, in-camp chores, for replacing e-Lite batteries in the dark and for finding gear in the tent after dark. I replace the pinch light CR 2016 batteries every spring. The e-Lite costs about $30.00.

Edited by Pika (08/03/15 08:48 PM)

#191537 - 08/03/15 09:46 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Fingers]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Backpacker magazine just made a plug for a headlamp, some Princeton Tec something or other, in their most recent edition. You can probably find it on their website as well. If I remember correctly, the cost was around $30. I might need to go back and re-read the advertisement. If I find the actual name, I will share it on the post.

#191538 - 08/03/15 10:26 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Fingers]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Petzl e+Lite or Petzl zipka. No elastic headband - instead, there's a line that reels in and out of the light. Simple to use, always the right tension, and no bulky elastic band to store. Both are light; e+Lite is ultralight, but not as bright as Zipka. Zipka uses 3 AAA batteries, and is therefore heavier but brighter.

The retracting line also lets you use either one as a handheld light or, with a bit of imagination, a hanging light.

I've used on or the other for the last 5 years with no problem.

#191540 - 08/04/15 12:18 AM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Fingers]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I too like the Petzl e+lite. The batteries can be exensive, but can be purchased in small bulk via the internet for a lot less, and these little lithium batteries have very good shelf life.

I throw away the hard shell protective case the light comes in, just store it sometimes in a snack sized ziplock so the headband doesn't tangle with other stuff.

Note the choice for winter or shoulder-season hiking or night hiking, but when the days are long and you mostly use your headlamp for puttering around in your tent at night --- perfect, IMO.

#191553 - 08/05/15 01:02 AM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I found the Petzl e+ lite totally inadequate during an emergency hike out at night last summer. My grandson, who was using my Princeton Tech Aurora, kept having to turn around at every rough section of trail so I could see where to put my feet. That got awfully old awfully fast! It's fine for around camp tasks, but I'll never take the e+ on another trip!

I've had that Princeton Tech headlamp since 2006 and use it constantly--it's my emergency light around the house (wonderful to have a nice bright hands-free lamp for repairs in dim or dark places), I take it with me when driving (if, Lord forbid, you have to change a tire at night, it's really handy), and, of course, on all dayhikes and backpacks. I even used it to spotlight my dog's nails when clipping them. It's also regulated, so (1) I can use the much-longer-lasting lithium batteries and (2) the light stays strong until the batteries die--none of this dimming when the batteries are only half gone. I've had no trouble at all with the elastic. Yes, it weighs 2 oz. more than the e+ light, but it's well worth those extra 2 oz.

At least I've been able to use the leftover e+ light batteries in my digital bathroom scale.

I would skip the hand-held flashlights in favor of a good headlamp. The hands-free option is priceless!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/05/15 01:05 AM)

#191563 - 08/05/15 03:38 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: OregonMouse]
professor Offline

Loc: Southern California
OregonMouse, I really appreciate you sharing your experience with having to bug out at night. I wasn't even thinking about the need for good light in an emergency. That's the type of thing I have to watch out for when trying to shave the weight off my gear.

#191564 - 08/05/15 03:55 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: professor]

I agree with OM - the e+Lite would probably not be good for walking at night over tricky terrain. It's great for the local backpacking I do, where I'm usually only out for a night or two, and my trails are well-groomed. But, when I head out longer or into more remote (as in less traffic and trickier footing), or when the nights will be long, I take my Zipka.

Sometimes, I take both. For some reason, headlamp batteries never go dead during the day, so on a longer trip it's kind of nice to have a spare light so I can see to change batteries. The e+Lite is also nice for middle of the night sojourns to "commune with Mother Nature" - the lower light levels don't disrupt the rest of the camp.

#191565 - 08/05/15 05:54 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I tested the e+lite (using a light meter) when it first came out and while it's fine for camping it's only adequate for hiking for a very short while, with a fresh set of batteries. Reason being the output isn't regulated and the batteries can't maintain illumination, meaning light intensity drops from the moment its switched on. It's bright enough for "real" navigation for a scant few minutes.

The "e" stands for emergency in Petzlspeak. Better than nothing, but only just. Now some folks have excellent night vision and can navigate distinct trails with no light at all. For you, the e+lite might be just fine--switch it on just to check a junction then off until you next need it. Use it first in red mode to preserve your night vision. Nobody should presume you can navigate with it for an hour because in that time it fades to a small fraction of the initial output.

What of overcast nights or forested trails that lack star and moonlight?. What of typical crummy and confusing Sierra trails? For those there's no substitute for a "real" headlamp. I've settled on the Petzl Tikka series with LiIon rechargeable cells. They have enough output, beam configuration, length of operation and even programmability to meet all my needs. They're also waterproof and I carry a charger to keep them topped off during long trips, giving them unlimited run time.

Beyond the OP's budget, but Tikka models with replaceable cells might sneak in under that amount. They're good too.

Cheers,

#191566 - 08/05/15 06:07 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Rick_D]

Just out of curiosity, why Tikka rather than Zipka? The only difference I can see is the Tikka uses the wide headband, and the Zipka uses the retractable line. Is it personal preference (I can see that), or have you identified a problem with the retractable line that I haven't found yet?

Functionally, they're identical; I just find the Zipka more compact and convenient.

#191567 - 08/05/15 07:35 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Honestly, it's a simple as never encountering one I could try to see if it's comfortable having a piece of wire wrapped around my noggin. All the ones in stores are tethered to their little displays.

FWIW Tikka headbands are really comfortable and can be non-destructively removed to toss in the wash. The elastic can lose some of its oomph after several years, though.

Cheers,

#191573 - 08/06/15 01:57 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Rick_D]
Fingers Offline

Loc: Seattle area - East Side
Awesome replies, thank you! Starting my trip tomorrow so I'll have to make the decision tonight. Looks like Petzl is the best brand, just finding the right model now.

What do you recharge the Tikka with? I've been considering packing a powerbank to assist keeping a cell charge for path mapping.

#191574 - 08/06/15 02:21 PM Re: (low priority) Headlamp & Flashlight [Re: Fingers]
Rick_D Offline

I have a couple choices: the Bushnell Solar Wrap Mini and the Brunton Ember. The first has a small storage battery but can completely recharge in the field. The second has a much bigger battery but only partly recharges from the sun due to its small panel. Either can keep a small gizmo collection going, but a device with a big battery like a phone (typically >3,000mA) will completely drain it in the process. The Petzl Core battery (discontinued, but still around for the persistent) that powers my 3-AAA Tikkas is less than 1,000 mA, so charges easily. The only situation where I wouldn't be able to keep it going indefinitely would be in winter.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum