Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191168 - 06/29/15 03:44 AM Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me?
Danny347 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Hey everyone, I've been looking into getting some lightweight gear for an upcoming cycling trip as well as hiking in the Adirondacks. I'm looking into doing much longer trips this summer and as a result my ultimate priority is that my gear is as lightweight as possible. I'm not an expert in gear by any means and although I've investigated some of the threads on these boards, I find I'm a little overwhelmed with the options. I'm looking at getting a quality tent and sleeping bag right now and I don't mind paying a little more for something that will last me a while. I also anticipate that there will be rainy days ahead so something water resistant and gear that could ideally be used into the fall is important. Ultimately I would like to do a thru-hike of the PCT and although this may be years away, if I found lightweight gear that I could put towards that then that would be a plus too.

SO far I've been looking at a lot of the tarptent designs and western mountaineering sleeping bags. I'm only about 5'8 and weigh 155 lbs so I can fit into a lot of tight gear. If any of you have recommendations, please send em this way!

#191169 - 06/29/15 10:15 AM Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? [Re: Danny347]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
I know you've mentioned tents but I'm wondering if you've consider a hammock? I'm about your height but weigh just over 200 pounds and find a hammock is great for me. It keeps you above the ground so you're not going to wake up wet and the comfort is sublime; although it does take a bit of fiddling to dial it in in the beginning. My hammock & tarp combination weigh less than a tent and I always have a place to sit so I don't need to bring anything extra there either. Add a bugnet (another 6-7 oz) and you've got a complete sleeping set-up for less than 2 pounds. Again, this is not what you asked about but wondered if you'd considered it. If not, you might like to check out the Hammock Forums to see/read all there is. You can also hit YouTube and check the videos made by Shug Emery. He's not only entertaining, his information is great for newbies and experienced folks alike.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I spend most of my time in the Adirondacks and know that hammocks work well there.

#191173 - 06/29/15 12:59 PM Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? [Re: Danny347]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My WM bags have been great. If buying today, I'd look into what's currently know about treated down, something that tends to not absorb moisture when it's humid. Barring that, an overstuffed WM Summerlite bag offers a pretty decently wide temperature range, though sometimes you just really need a 20F bag.

I'm a fan of the style of tent driven by the Lightheart Designs folks. They didn't invent that architecture, but brought it to the fore; Six Moon Designs, at least, also has a couple of similar entries. I've used my Lightheart Solo a great deal, and am still pleased with it.

That said, while I own two of Henry Shires tarptents, I've not looked at his more recent offerings.

Seems like a lot of folks are praising the various 'mids' (pyramid) tents, such as http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=47
I have no experience with these; perhaps I would like one of these even better (?)!

#191233 - 07/03/15 01:56 PM Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? [Re: BrianLe]
Danny347 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I was wondering if some of you could comment on some of these other suggestions and compare if possible.

Teton sports ultra mountain
http://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Mount...uct_top?ie=UTF8

Eureka Solitaire
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-T...+solitaire+tent

Marmot - Starlight 1P
http://www.backcountrygear.com/marmot-starlight-1p-#.VZbMPUaInYF

Would like some more feedback on these products (plus they are not overly expensive which is a bonus). Thanks!

#191237 - 07/03/15 08:43 PM Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? [Re: Danny347]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
For me, the problem with the Solitaire and similar designs is that you can't sit up in them. I cycle toured with the original SD Flashlight, a two person tent that weighed about 4 lbs. Heavy by UL standards, but not for bicycle touring. Today, I'd look at the Lightheart, Tarptent or similar designs. The Teton tent, I'm not familiar with the brand, but dome tents tend to be heavier. Get something with a vestibule, mine didn't have one. My winter tent does and I wouldn't want a tent without one.
There are a lot of quality bag choices. My first good bag was a TNF Cat's Meow. I now have two down bags, MacPac, a NZ brand, and a Marmot. For really wet weather, a good synthetic bag would be a good choice. Biking in the rain is no fun; been there, done that, so a good bag and shelter are really important.
Since you are in Canada, find a MEC store and look around.

Edited by TomD (07/03/15 08:45 PM)

#191242 - 07/05/15 02:29 PM Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? [Re: Danny347]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Tarptent makes cool tent, I like my Moments thus far but it's a little bit of a pain setting up when threading the pole through the sleeve. I've learned a trick to make it easier. Big Agnes make quality tent look into them as well i just wish they had more side door models.

I've never used WM bags, but is dying to try one out. I am still using a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag from 2011 that weighs 2.14 pound for nights below freezing and a Enlightened Equipment quilt I have for nights above freezing.

Edited by ETSU Pride (07/05/15 02:30 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum