Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190129 - 04/11/15 10:39 AM Footwear and raingear, summer in Scottish Highland
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'll be walking the West Highland Way in the Scottish Highlands this coming July. From non-hiking friends in Scotland I've been told to expect rain and midges but they offered no recommendations on how to stay "dry". We will be walking from accommodation to accommodation so I'm not too worried about comfortable nights but would also like to have shoes and raingear appropriate to summer conditions in the western Scottish Highlands. For most of my hiking and climbing trail walking in the mountains of the western US and Canada I have used ventilated trail runners and, lately, Dri-Ducks. I would appreciate recommendations from anyone with experience in such matters for possible improvement of my footwear and raingear. Right now, I'm assuming conditions similar to those I have experienced over many years in the North Cascades.

#190131 - 04/11/15 12:04 PM Re: Footwear and raingear, summer in Scottish Highland [Re: Pika]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I stumbles across this in the recent Backpacker mag. equipment review http://media.backpacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SierraDesigns_EliteCagoule_combo.jpg not cheap as the breathable offerings. have no personal knowledge of Scotland highlands weather conditions. ( the link is from backpacker/gear guide)

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (04/11/15 12:17 PM)

#190230 - 04/16/15 01:07 PM Re: Footwear and raingear, summer in Scottish Highland [Re: Pika]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Pika,

It sounds like an exciting trip. Perhaps you could contact a tour guide in the area to answer your questions.

#190231 - 04/16/15 01:31 PM Re: Footwear and raingear, summer in Scottish Highland [Re: Pika]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have no special knowledge of the highlands, but in comparing them to the North Cascades I would observe that the North Cascades do not have peat bogs, and if the north of Scotland has any similarity to western Ireland, the possibility of peat bogs would indicate to me the desirability of waterproof footwear of some description.

Also, the photos I have seen lead me to think that the highlands are much more barren of trees than the North Cascades. I would think that this would make sheltering from wind more difficult.

#190233 - 04/16/15 03:30 PM Re: Footwear and raingear, summer in Scottish Highland [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I haven't been there either (I was going in 2001, but due to the foot-and-mouth disease outbreak went to Turkey instead).

However, my favorite blogger, Section Hiker (Philip Werner), went twice to take part in the TGO ("The Great Outdoors") Challenge, a cross-Scotland group hike. Here is his summary of "Gear That Worked and Gear That Didn't." It has a link to his full gear list for 2013 (his second trip). I hope it helps!

You might want to look for other accounts from TGO Challenge participants. They seem to encounter all the possible difficulties! Although I didn't look into them, googling "TGO Challenge" brought up a number of individual reports.

Of course, we'll be breathlessly waiting for a full trip report with photos--lots of them, please!!!

BTW, I was told by a Scot I met in Norway that "midges" are pronounced "mudgies." I'm sure there are less complimentary names, but he wasn't about to reveal them to someone old enough to be his grandma!

MORE, LATER: Look through Chris Townsend's blog for more info.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/16/15 04:08 PM)

#190241 - 04/17/15 04:22 AM Re: Footwear and raingear, summer in Scottish Highland [Re: Pika]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My wife and I hiked the Wainwright trail (aka "Coast to Coast") trail in northern England a few years ago; I suspect that conditions might be similar, though we had no midges.

For rain, I used a poncho, and was okay overall; depends on how low temps might get, and don't forget wind-blown rain. Having accommodations each night (as you said that you will) indeed takes the pressure off a lot. I found in England that they were well prepared in general to help out soaking wet travelers, typically having some sort of drying room. So while you want to keep weight down, you'll definitely want clothing (to include light footwear) to change into to wear indoors. IMO it doesn't matter all that much if I get pretty wet on occasion if I can dry out every night!

I used quick drying trail runners for this trip. I pretty much always do that. If doing this particular trail again I MIGHT consider high top light goretex boots, as on occasion my low top shoes got wet in the marshy areas when a boot might have kept me dry longer or just all day. In England, at least, it's gospel writ that you put a lot of dry newspaper inside the shoes when leaving them to dry, and that will dry them in the morning. Optionally change the paper out once before bedtime to increase the odds. Having a dry warm room helps a lot of course.

So --- my shoes always definitely dried, but on occasion my feet got wet during the day sooner than they might otherwise have (if at all). Bring, of course, a decent set of wool socks for those times when feet do get wet.

I didn't use nor want rain pants, but many people would have in these conditions. I personally prefer to just get my quick-drying pants wet than to mess with it, unless it's pretty cold.
I think if doing this trail again I might accept the weight penalty to bring my Packa, http://www.thepacka.com/
Are you carrying all of your gear or do you have a car shuttle and, as a result, just a very light day pack? If the latter, it's an easier decision to carry a bit more weight to ward off wet/cold/bugs.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum