Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190133 - 04/12/15 10:03 AM Semper Fi New to the Forum
MortarMan Offline

Just wanted to Hi. New to the forum. Thought I would join after reading a lot on this forum. There is much information on this forum site. I am soon to turn 52. Was in the Marines and have be all over the world. Believe me it wasn't by choice. Uncle Sam was a bad travel agent...About a year ago I finally had surgery on my toe to remove broken bone shrapnel. Took 20+ years to get it done (thanks VA). Old injury while in the Marines. I've gained a lot of weight from not being able to move around much. Thought the surgery would help. So I am determined to get moving again before its too late. Need to loose about 30lbs. So my first goal is to plan a first trip to the Smoky Mountains, 3days and about 10-15miles. I live an hours drive away. My second goal is to plan a trip out west to go long range hunting with my Son. My Son is only 15yr and wants to join the service. Thought this would give us time together and show him how it is to camp without a Da** electronic pacifier stuck to his hand. Looking forward to the adventures.

#190135 - 04/12/15 12:44 PM Re: Semper Fi New to the Forum [Re: MortarMan]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Welcome! Good luck on fulfilling all your plans. There's a heck of a lot of great backcountry out there to see.

#190138 - 04/12/15 08:16 PM Re: Semper Fi New to the Forum [Re: MortarMan]
bluefish Offline

Hope your trip(s) go great! Thanks for your years of service. Backpacking should be easy, as you're no stranger to pain and discomfort. It took awhile before my wife realized the effort put forth and the pain along the way was well compensated for by the beauty in the wilds. I've done some in the Smokies, and Mt. Rodgers, and the Roan Highlands. Others here know the area, don't be afraid to ask questions. I've really enjoyed some of the hikes along the Little River (great fishing) and staying at Campsites 21 and 30. Moderate hikes with lots of scenery and water .

#190140 - 04/12/15 10:10 PM Re: Semper Fi New to the Forum [Re: MortarMan]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
The Smokies are a great place to start. I did my first trip there (at age 42) of 100 miles over 10 days. Lots of options!

I'd encourage you to go lighter though you're clearly used to heavy loads. Perhaps the paper I wrote can assist you in that. I also did videos of all the equipment I used along with the pros and cons, etc. Those start here. Those were low resolution unfortunately as I didn't have a large flash card and they were pretty long. I also did a followup series on gear changes I'd made the following year.

The past 3 summers I've taken my sons on long road trips out west to hike/backpack and will continue to do so.

#191912 - 09/17/15 08:46 PM Re: Semper Fi New to the Forum [Re: topshot]
MortarMan Offline

Sorry for the long delay. Life is getting more complex to the point I am about to explode.Thanks for all the great feed back. I am sure I need to do a lot of reading before heading out. With the cooler weather coming in my foot that had surgery is starting to already hurt. I really need to research shoes!Yes being a Mortorman in the Marines I carried about 150lbs of stuff. My pack weighed more than me at times. I am surprised I am still alive today. Time to get into shape.

#191918 - 09/17/15 09:31 PM Re: Semper Fi New to the Forum [Re: MortarMan]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I find that the best way to get started with a big project is to bite off no more than I can chew at once. If you can't get out for a week, try a weekend. If you can't get out for a weekend, try a day hike. If you can't get out for the whole day on a trail, look for a nearby park to walk in for a couple of hours.

Good luck, once again! That great backcountry is still out there and will wait for you.

#191923 - 09/18/15 10:44 AM Re: Semper Fi New to the Forum [Re: MortarMan]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By MortarMan
Thought this would give us time together and show him how it is to camp without a Da** electronic pacifier stuck to his hand.

Literally made me laugh out loud. If you don't mind, I am going to "borrow" this line for the next...well...forever. But I will give you due credit. Welcome to the fray!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum