Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181687 - 01/04/14 02:58 AM Camera for day hiking?
Thlorian Offline

Hello - New to hiking and just hitting light trails at local/state parks 1-2 times per month. On my first couple of hikes thus far, my iPhone camera is not reliable for taking pics on the fly as half of them come out blurry (could be user error too). I would like to "upgrade" by purchasing a small, simple, durable/rugged camera that is easy to access from a pocket or day pack and will catch (and/or zoom in a little) to catch "action" shots of animals, flora, etc without the blurs. Budget is from $50-$150. Any tips/info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#181688 - 01/04/14 09:58 AM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Thlorian]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
WE've used a little canon powershot for years. IT was probably more expensive than you budget--but they are cheaper now. Very lightweight, has image stabilization, and a decent zoom. ANd I you leave the display off most of the time, the battery will last well longer than a one-week backpacking trip!

you can the photos it took on our website---they were all done with the canon PS780...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#181693 - 01/04/14 12:32 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Thlorian]
jimmyb Offline

+1 on the Cannon powershot. We have an Elph HS we carry on hikes and have taken hundreds of pics. It can also take short video - very cool. I wouldn't say you will be taking award winning close ups of critters far away but it sure is nice to have some decent quality memory pics of the places you travel.

jimmyb

Edit- keep in mind this camera is not waterproof. They do make waterproof and shock resistant pocket cameras.

Edited by jimmyb (01/04/14 12:35 PM)

#181697 - 01/04/14 03:15 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Thlorian]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There is quite a bit of camera info also in the Backcountry Photography section, sandwiched between photo collections and items about techniques. You might want to look there, too.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/04/14 03:16 PM)

#181700 - 01/04/14 04:47 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Thlorian]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By Thlorian
Hello - New to hiking and just hitting light trails at local/state parks 1-2 times per month. On my first couple of hikes thus far, my iPhone camera is not reliable for taking pics on the fly as half of them come out blurry (could be user error too). I would like to "upgrade" by purchasing a small, simple, durable/rugged camera that is easy to access from a pocket or day pack and will catch (and/or zoom in a little) to catch "action" shots of animals, flora, etc without the blurs. Budget is from $50-$150. Any tips/info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Given your budget and list of wants, plan on looking at used cameras. For wildlife you need reach, which means a long zoom range. For no blur you need image stabilization, accurate autofocus and a "fast" lens that allows you to shoot at relatively low ISOs. Maybe start by looking at "superzoom" comparison tests at DPReview. FWIW, pocketable cameras won't have the reach for critters, but can capture landscapes.

Happy shopping,

#181717 - 01/05/14 11:19 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: jimmyb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I use a cannon powershot. It takes 1080p video as well. My last weeklong trip, with taking video, and a bunch of pictures, I had more than half the battery at the end of the trip.

But, yeah, phone cameras suck. I can never get as good a picture as my cannon does.

#181725 - 01/06/14 01:35 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Thlorian]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
My advice is to give up believing you can get an zoomed-in action shot of animals 100 yards away with point and shoot cameras. If something is far away, getting a nice up close shot of it is almost impossible without heavy bulky equipment. Putting large cheap zoom lenses on cheap point and shoot cameras will make every over picture you take with that camera substandard.

My advice is to get a nice small (minimal zoom) point and shoot camera from a reputable company (Canon, Nikon and a few others). Do not focus on zoom range or megapixels; in my experience these play no role in producing nice images. I consider point and shoot cameras pretty disposable. I buy a cheap Canon (~$100-150) every year or two.

In terms of technique. Holding the camera steady is most important. Secondly don't expect more from you equipment than it can do (telephoto action shots, low light objects in the distance). Thirdly spend some time thinking about how you want to frame the photo. People don't seem to spend a lot of time framing there photos. (it is a pet peeve of mine when people in photos are cut-off below the knees.)

#181730 - 01/06/14 08:26 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: BZH]
lori Offline

I have a Nikon CoolPix which is essentially a point and shoot with a long telephoto lens. I have had much better results with animal closeups with it - however, it's bulky and heavy, nearly as much so as a smaller DSLR.

It could probably be found for less than 200, tho I got mine on Amazon in a package deal with a tripod and a bunch of other small items including spare batteries and cleaning kit.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#181764 - 01/08/14 12:47 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I also have a Nikon Coolpix. I got it at WalMart for $100. I prefer a camera which can use rechargeable batteries. Here is a video I took a couple summers ago. After about 2:30 it's almost all wildlife shots. I didn't use the zoom.

#189928 - 03/31/15 01:28 AM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Gershon]
makofoto Offline

You want a small light ruggedized waterproof camera ... allows you to shoot in any conditions:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3436829389/dpreview-recommends-best-waterproof-cameras

If you check the individual cameras on Amazon you can read reader reviews

#189929 - 03/31/15 01:48 AM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: makofoto]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
First rule of quality pics with a point & shoot: If it has the option to do so, turn OFF digital zoom. The moment it goes from optical to digital any semblance of quality goes right out the window. You aren't buying it for 100 yard shots and if you are, you are getting the wrong item.

I've been using the Canon Powershots for years, however, over the last few years they have gotten smaller, better overall resolution, nice big LCD screens on the back and... killed the overall control/features.

I can't seem to find a P&S that gives me 3 key things:
Raw
Aperture control
Time control

All three used to be available as well as full manual modes. Those are apparently gone the way of the floppy disc and CD. Good news is I have a 1Ds and a 1D Mark IIn, yet carrying 15lbs of camera gear + the backpack isn't exactly working. Still looking for a good compromise.

#189940 - 03/31/15 09:53 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: AdventureMyk]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Don't know how long this deal will be available, but if you have $240, you can have one of these.

Cheers,

#189968 - 04/02/15 04:26 PM Re: Camera for day hiking? [Re: Thlorian]
SurvivalDad Offline

There are several nice cameras on the market for reasonable prices. Just take the time to look around.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum