Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189843 - 03/25/15 03:04 PM Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes
nemeseri Offline

Hi Everyone,

I know that there are numerous posts about footwear, but I think everyone's need is different, so I thought it worth to ask you about some suggestions.

1., A little bit about me: I'm a novice hiker who only does day hikes on moderate terrain. I hiked half dome in a pair of running shoes because I didn't even have proper hiking boots. I'm light (130 lbs) and I prefer to pack light for a trip.

2., I need a pair of boots for hiking in the snow. The temperature will be somewhere between 25-38. I prefer lightweight boots and free movement. But I will need decent waterproofness because of the possibility of melting snow.

Because this will be my first hiking boot, I'd prefer something more versatile I can maybe use on day hikes during spring time and in winter with thick wool socks, gaiters or maybe with gore tex socks to keep the water out better.

I know that there is no all in one solution, but I'd like to pick something more versatile for general day hiking.

3., I'm torn between something lighter and comfortable like Asolo Reston WP (http://www.asolo.com/en/products/hiking-en/natural-shape-en/reston-wp-a27504-00-en.html) and heavier, sturdier boots with more support like the Scarpa Charmoz, Asolo Avalon GTX, Iowa Renegade GTX.

Which one is better for these use cases above? I'm ok to use layers to extend the capabilities of the boots. But it would be nice to have something I can use for long hikes during summer, maybe on a 2 day hike.

Thanks

#189845 - 03/25/15 04:32 PM Re: Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes [Re: nemeseri]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I think the Asolos you link to would be fine for snow and "shoulder season" hiking; perhaps overkill for mid-season when you can return to trail sneakers. I've been enjoying an earlier version of these, which are similar. Mid-height keeps out a lot of debris and a light pair of gaiters can add protection if needed. I've decided a lightweight mid-height trumps a low-top in keeping out debris and protecting my ankles from smashing on rocks and things. I might feel differently if I only hiked forest trails.

#189849 - 03/26/15 06:57 AM Re: Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes [Re: Rick_D]
bluefish Offline

I've found that continually wet boots wet out, eventually. If you expect to stay dry, you need a specific, waterproof boot. You might consider buying a pair of overshoes like these http://www.gearcor.com/trs7/NEOS-Trekker-Overshoe.htm
to use over your trail runners or light boots. They're snowshoe friendly, you might have to check on micro-spikes or crampons depending on model. In cold snow conditions I often just wear my mid-high boots, which I've sized to allow heavy socks. Take that into account if you go that way.

#189850 - 03/26/15 12:58 PM Re: Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes [Re: nemeseri]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
For anything above 20F, pretty much any traditional waterproof boot will do. I would not get an insulated one. Thick wool socks are plenty. Gortex ones work, but I prefer all leather with no gortex. Get gaitors up to your knees as well.

If they are not insulated, then they will work late spring and early fall, or really high altitude in the summer as well.

Other than that, make sure they fit correctly.

Basically, what an old school backpacker would get for summer time would work for anything above 20F. Think waffle stompers. smile

If you don't want all leather, then anything gortex with thick socks will do ya.

Edited by finallyME (03/26/15 12:59 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum