Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151092 - 06/04/11 11:10 AM Gophers
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Caught my first gopher of the season. I work out of town, so I set my trap last Sunday and checked it Friday night when I got home, even before eating dinner. The hole was plugged, not a good sign. I dug the trap out with a stick, hoping something was at the other end. Got one! With the cavity I made in setting my trap, it was packed with dirt, so there is at least one more out there. Like last year, I caught a few at the beginning of the season, no activity for a while, then more activity. I use black plastic to cover the ground which I then plant corn thru. A bad sign was when one of the holes I plant the seed thru had dirt pushed out of it.:( At least I have a fair corn stand, even with the cool and wet weather we have been having.

#151150 - 06/06/11 08:31 AM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Set my traps again and while off for a short bp trip from my place, got home on Sunday AM and caught another gopher. Now if I can get the electric fence charger delivered, I can see if that will keep the deer out. All I have left to do is make a gate by my garage, hang and hook up the charger when I get it.

#151864 - 06/24/11 10:18 PM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Last weekend, I had to shake a decomposing gopher off of one of my traps. I work out of town, so he was there all week I guess. Yesterday after I got home from work for the week, while in my garage, getting my chainsaw ready to cut firewood for today, I was surprised to see something scurrying ahead of me as I went to put something away after working on my chainsaw. After the initial shock, I chased it and stepped on it. A mole. A few weeks ago, I found a dead one on my lawn, I guess before I had the electric fence energized, a neighbor dog might have gotten it.

#152059 - 06/28/11 09:30 PM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I shot one a couple weeks ago with my ar 15 in 204 ruger. I used a hand loaded 26 grain Varmit Grenade Bullet. BarnesBullets Claims they Vaporise Gophers! I am happy to report they do! Bullet impact was from around 60 yards, Gopher flew 6feet in the air. Largest piece was a fur strip 4 inch long and a half inch wide! Sorry if this offends some users! Beleive me it was more humane than trapping. The Gopher didnt know what hit it!
"Licensed to Kill Gophers Bye the United Nations" AKA. Bill Murry from "CaddyShack"

#152073 - 06/29/11 11:02 AM Re: Gophers [Re: Kent W]
hikerduane Offline

Well, if I wouldn't get the neighborhood upset. We all have at least an acre, have not shot a bluejay in 20 years.

#152082 - 06/29/11 12:55 PM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I don't have any gopher issues here. Probably too much rock in the ground for gophers in my patch of dirt, but Japanese Beetles are ravaging my roses and blackberries and Squash Bugs decimating my tomatoes and cucumbers. I'm going to mix up some insecticidal soap today and spray asap, but it's tough seeing all that produce get taken like that.

I wish I had a bullet that would vaporize those buggers mad

"You want to go where?"

#152087 - 06/29/11 02:52 PM Re: Gophers [Re: billstephenson]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
The last time I had any bugs on my vegetables I mixed some Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce in water in my small sprayer. I sprayed all my vegetables. Bugs were soon gone.

I've heard that mint oil can also be used. Another is Dr. Bronner's (sp) mint soap.

#176647 - 04/22/13 08:51 AM Re: Gophers [Re: PerryMK]
hikerduane Offline

Opening season on gophers Sunday. Got home from cutting more firewood and had a fresh mound of dirt in the garden. Set one trap before going inside to relax and eat dinner. After dinner, had a few minutes before going to bed early as it was Sunday night. Checked the trap, hole was stuffed with dirt. Arggh! Pulled the trap out and had a mole. smile Reset it and put another in the opposite hole. We'll see if I have anything Friday when I get home. Peas may be up by this coming weekend, lettuce is popping out of the ground. The 8' high fence hopefully will keep the deer out this year, as the electric fence the last two had limited success. Chased deer out of the yard both Saturday AM and Sunday evening.
Duane

#178429 - 07/15/13 11:00 AM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

So, so success catching gophers this season. Caught another Sunday, makes about one mole this season and 4-5 gophers so far. After each gopher, less damage in the garden. They have take about 40% of my corn and about 20% of my fingerling potatoes.
Duane

#186428 - 08/04/14 08:43 AM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Finally got a gopher, after it set off my trap twice a week ago, only catching hair. I had to dig up my potatoes a week ago as they were getting the plants. Surprised they have left my great looking beans alone, too bad the carrots got hit by them, what few I had this year. They sure are making a mess of my strawberry patch, I have to poke the holes so water will fill my furrows.
Duane

#189832 - 03/24/15 04:03 PM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Caught the first gopher of the young year. A few months too early, usually there is still snow on the garden or at least too wet to do anything.
Duane

#189997 - 04/04/15 01:39 PM Re: Gophers [Re: hikerduane]
SurvivalDad Offline

I just can't get CassyShack out of my mind every time I hear Gophers!

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum