Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188976 - 02/08/15 04:15 PM Rain makes its way back to California
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
After a hiatus of more than a month (smack in the middle of the "wet" season) rain has returned in a big way. Looking at the radar I see it tracking across the northern Sierra, central Sierra and especially the south Cascades. (Guessing the southern Sierra isn't getting much, if anything.) It's supposed to keep going through tomorrow morning, then back to sunny and dry.

Better than nothing.

Cheers,

#188979 - 02/08/15 06:30 PM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: Rick_D]
bluefish Offline

There was a devastating fire just north of Bishop right alongside Sherwin Grade. I think its 65% contained right now. 40 homes lost in Swall Meadows and Paradise. I was hoping it would leave the Rock Creek Canyon alone. It made it right up to the border. One of my favorite places on earth. Hard to believe fires in Feb. in the Sierra.

#189061 - 02/12/15 11:55 PM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
The creek going thru my property came up quite a bit then back down over night last weekend. Good thing there was no snow to melt while it rained hard, my property would have flooded in the lower area half. A snow cat mechanic I know who works at Mt Rose Ski area between Lake Tahoe and Reno, said they received 40 inches of snow. I'll take that.
Duane

#189190 - 02/18/15 10:08 PM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: hikerduane]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
And now it is back to dry and waiting again....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189194 - 02/18/15 10:29 PM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: hikerduane]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I just looked at the CDEC website. In spite of the new snow, the Sierra is still only about 20-25% normal snowpack. Sad, sad, sad!

#189200 - 02/19/15 12:38 AM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Up here in the PNW, we've had close to normal precipitation, but it has all been rain, up to 8,000 feet. There is basically no snow at all below 5,000 feet. So we're talking a very, very low snowpack, and the ski areas are going broke.

If this keeps up, the forests will be tinder dry before July gets here--scary thought!

#189233 - 02/19/15 03:38 PM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I just looked at the CDEC website. In spite of the new snow, the Sierra is still only about 20-25% normal snowpack. Sad, sad, sad!

[Checks forecast] looks like we'll make it out of February with nary a flake.

In isolation one dry winter isn't a big deal but this is four in a row. We all see changes in the high country we've been lucky enough to visit the last few decades, some subtle like small perennial streams that have become ephemeral and others more blatant, like large dying forest stands or permanent snowfields on our topos that are gone or marshes that have reverted to meadow.

Not saying it's never going to snow again but I do wonder what "new normal" we'll be settling into as time goes on.

#189515 - 03/04/15 01:33 PM Re: Rain makes its way back to California [Re: Rick_D]
Rick_D Offline

Resurrecting the thread to note results from yesterday's Sierra snow survey:
Quote:
Snow levels in the Sierra Nevada are at or below what they were during the driest years in California’s recorded history, surveyors said Tuesday, dashing hopes that last weekend’s storm would begin to pull the state out of its increasingly frightful drought.

The water content of the snow statewide stands at 19 percent of the average for this time of year, according to the third snow survey of the season by the California Department of Water Resources.

That means California is neck and neck with 1977 and 1991 for the most parched winter since 1950, when the state began publishing measurements of the snowpack in the Sierra. California could set a new drought benchmark this year.

“We’re looking at historical lows,” said David Rizzardo, the chief of snow surveys and water supply forecasting for the Department of Water Resources. “You go into the winter hoping that (the drought) doesn’t get worse, but I think it’s undeniable at this point that it’s going to be worse. You just can’t recover at some point from how dry it has been.”

Comparison with 1977, 1991

The worst snow year by most measures was 1991, which had 18 percent of the historic average for snowpack on March 1. That, however, was the year of the famous Miracle March, when a series of subsequent storms covered the mountains with snow and brought California back from the brink.

In 1977, which is considered the driest year on record, the snow level was 25 percent of normal at this time. Last year, California was at 31 percent of normal on March 1.

S.F. Chron

Adjust expectations, and hiking plans, accordingly.

signed--Mr. Happy News

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum