Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188906 - 02/04/15 12:48 PM $10 cartridge stove?!?
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Hey everyone,

I'm gearing up for my first year of lightweight backpacking, and am going a little bit stove-crazy... I've bought a Westwind Trangia setup, the little folding box Esbit stove, and now this $10 cartridge stove. I know, you get what you pay for, but the reviews on this stove are pretty amazing...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4FY8YO?psc=1

This is the $13.99 model, but I went for the $9.99 model shown below, which is probably identical, but has less reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLMLF6U

Should receive it tomorrow. Seems like I can't go wrong, especially with those reviews. Anyone here have experience with one of these stoves?

Of course, I'm going to bring both of my other stoves out there with me as well, if only to decide what I want to live with. I boiled 16 ounces of ~50-degree tap water with an Esbit tablet in 7 minutes flat, which is perfectly reasonable to me (I don't go backpacking so I can hurry), but I understand they're sensitive to wind. I've yet to try my Trangia... need to pick up some fuel for it (was going to use Heet... any advice here would be appreciated).

Thanks,

-Rodney

#188909 - 02/04/15 01:29 PM Re: $10 cartridge stove?!? [Re: carbeque]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I picked up a pair of the MSR Micro Rockets and love them, then a friend on a budget picked up one of these. It's a little heavier and doesn't fold quite as small (but still works easily in the GSI Soloist and Dualist cooking sets) but otherwise it works very well. Well enough that there are now 3 of them lurking around to match the 3 MSR units. I'd likely end up grabbing a 4th just to have as a back-up myself. smile

You don't have to worry. Price aside they are all the same thing from the same company. I think we paid on average $8 for them.The only thing I notice that they tend to do is not want to screw on/off without dumping some gas. It's just the way their seals are. Just make sure you aren't smoking or next to a fire until you know if yours is one of them. (2 of them do it, 1 doesn't)

#188910 - 02/04/15 01:31 PM Re: $10 cartridge stove?!? [Re: AdventureMyk]
AdventureMyk Offline

Oh, not uncommon to have to work the arms a few times to get them to loosen up and once in a while you will get one that the 4 'feet' at the top don't want to lay perfectly flat. A little tapping with a mallet or bending against a desk work fine. smile

#188913 - 02/04/15 04:24 PM Re: $10 cartridge stove?!? [Re: carbeque]
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the reply, Myk. Sounds like although it may not be the ideal stove, the novelty of getting a stove that *works* for less than the price of the canister of fuel that it connects to just makes me chuckle. ;-)

Here's a dirt cheap MSR Pocket Rocket knock-off that gets excellent reviews too:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpac...TES7W85750Q4ABJ

-Rodney

#188914 - 02/04/15 04:29 PM Re: $10 cartridge stove?!? [Re: carbeque]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
"Such a deal." Hey, for ten bucks why not?

My sole caution is pay attention to the valve and canister seals to make sure they don't leak, or develop a leak. Those are two areas where cost-cutting can bite one in the arse. I suppose the pot supports, too. Nothing like having a quart of soup go feral.

Enjoy!

#188915 - 02/04/15 04:34 PM Re: $10 cartridge stove?!? [Re: carbeque]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've generally found that you mostly get what you pay for. With those cheap canister stoves, I'd be concerned about the durability of moving parts, the fuel economy, and, as mentioned above, leakage of fuel when taking the stove on and off the canister--this last is a big safety issue as well as threatening to leave you without fuel in the middle of the trip.

You'll find lots and lots of truly excellent stove info on Hikin' Jim's blog, Adventures in Stoving.

#188916 - 02/04/15 05:06 PM Re: $10 cartridge stove?!? [Re: OregonMouse]
AdventureMyk Offline

Carb, don't take my review to be negative. Ideal is always the lightest, most efficient, etc. etc. This, especially for $10, can be idea for those on a budget. It might not be quite as efficient but it definitely gets the job done and cheaply to boot. Watch the seals and enjoy!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum