Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188380 - 01/05/15 06:20 PM Hello! newcomer with some questions
Sadmoto Offline

Hello! I just joined these forums in need of information and advice from more experienced hikers&campers, Im 22 and I'm a pretty big guy( 6ft, 275lbs) at that but I pull my own weight where I go but I'm looking to take my hiking "to the next level". I've been doing day hikes & climbs for the last 2 summers with friends without much chance of ever camping because the lack of gear, but I want to change that this year!

I really want to get serious about my camping & hiking this year and get in some mileage. Last Aug I was able to take my first trip to the Adirondacks and I LOVED it we hiked at least 20miles and climbed black bear mountain in 3 days with about a 20ish pound pack, we would of done more but it cold and rainy 5 out of the 8 days we were there so we were stuck in my friends cabin. frown

I've started an exercise plan for the next few months to get in better shape so I can keep pace with my friends without killing myself, the winter and holidays has not done my gut any good, haha. blush

I have a decent setup for gear from when I went to ADK but I am lacking mainly a tent, I'm not home anymore but I will update my list when I get home tomorrow and I will gladly take any suggestions on what to get or get rid of.

One of the main reasons I posted this is because I need advice on a tent. right now I've gotten it down to 2 tents (I think)within my price range and with enough room to fit a friend with me in the tent, while being fairly light, compared to my friends tent that weights like 15lbs alone haha.

1: Eureka! Sunriver 2 Person Tent for $119.99
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produc...414966.12669395
and the Ascend H2.2 2 person Dome Tent for 119.99
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-H2-2-TwoPerson-Dome-Tent/product/12082109213720/

I've done a little bit of research but I'm still unclear on the different types of materials used, and which is the better choice.

here is fabric for the eureka:
Wall fabric: 40D polyester no-see-um mesh
Fly fabric: 75D 190T polyester taffeta w/1800 mm coating
Floor fabric: 75D 190T polyester taffeta w/1800 mm coating

and the Ascend h2.2:
70D nylon walls with 600mm PU coating
Rainfly 75D Poly Taffeta with 1500mm PU coating
70D nylon tub-style floor with 3000mm PU coating

my main concern was the floor difference. I figure the eureka doesn't need PU coating on the walls since the fly goes almost to the ground unlike the Ascend where the walls can get hit by rain.

I can do with 1 door or no vestibule or deal with an extra pound, I just would like to get the best bang for my buck so I'd like the one that will potentially last me longer while keeping us dry and warm if we run into bad weather.

Also if there is a different tent all together under 150 that would be better choice then either above, please link me up! just make sure its either equal to or wider then either of the tents above. Those tents will comfortably fit me and a friend with our gear at our feet, but I can't go any smaller on the width then 48", I'm not a fan of spooning with my guy friends. xD

Thank you in advanced for any replies! You guys will probably see me here a bit since there is vasts amount of reading material and who knows, maybe in time I can start giving good advice to others. grin

#188381 - 01/05/15 06:55 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: Sadmoto]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Before you decide on a tent, look at tarptent.com, sixmoondesigns.com, lightheartgear.com. They're lighter than the ones you're looking at, and probably stronger.

In the long run, it's worth spending a bit more for better quality gear. Or you can buy used, a good way to start out.

If you haven't already, check out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column.

#188386 - 01/05/15 09:05 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: OregonMouse]
Sadmoto Offline

Thanks for the links, I looked at tarptent and lightheartgear before I posted, they are both out of my price range, I have a max of 175$ to spend, so I can't even afford the cheapest one person tent from tarptent.
from sixmoon there is the lunar duo for the same price, same size but the materials are not the same. the Eureka and the Ascend both have PU coating which from what I understand is supposed to help with water resistance?
So wouldn't one of the first 2 be a better choice then the lunar duo, aside from weight? If not could you explain why? I'm very green to the tent market and how the different fabrics compare to each other so I may be missing something?

for the Lunar Duo Outfitter
Canopy: 190T Polyester
Floor: 190T Polyester
Netting: 40D Ultralight No-See-Um

This will be my first tent, so I don't need the best of the best $400 tent that professional mountain climbers use and I'm not going in any crazy storms, I just want something that will keep us dry, will last me at least this year, which it should, I'm pretty careful and take care of my gear, and of course within my price range?

so If you had $175 and only that much, what would be the best all round choice for a 2person 3 season?

#188391 - 01/05/15 10:26 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: Sadmoto]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just to note that PU coating is heavier and definitely not superior in water resistance to high quality silicone impregnated nylon. My experience with PU coating has been that it deteriorates with age and eventually gets quite odoriforous and/or flakes off.

I have a 10 year old Tarptent Squall 2 that sheds even hard rain just fine, despite its age. When I had a PU coated tent from Sierra Designs, the coating started flaking at 7-8 years.

As mentioned, with your budget I'd look for used gear.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/05/15 10:30 PM)

#188393 - 01/06/15 11:44 AM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: Sadmoto]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Won't necessarily make a difference, but couldn't hurt if you were to let us know where you plan to hike. In particular, if it were a place and time where few bugs are expected, an inexpensive tarp and very light ground cloth might be surperior to a low-end tent.

#188395 - 01/06/15 12:25 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: Sadmoto]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I am not sure your specific question on fabrics (and I'm probably not qualified to answer specific questions), but 40D, 70D, 75D refers to the thickness of the fabric. The bigger the number the thicker it is (and presumably more durable and heavier). 1500mm, 1800mm refers to the water proofing the fabric has. The higher the number the higher the pressure of water it is able to withstand before leaking. As far as I can tell, those numbers are mostly marketing gibberish. Water doesn't get applied to the fabric with pressure. The question is how well did they waterproof the tent? Are there any tiny holes they missed? Does the geometry allow water to pool? or drip on you when you get in or out? Marketing won't tell you the answer to those questions. Experience and reviews from experienced people are really the only thing available. No experienced person I know use either of those brand tents (and they are heavy!).

OM recommended some good "cottage" tents. I understand they are out of your price range. If you can find used, that is a good idea. I just bought a tarptent and it is a wonderful tent. My entire family of four slept comfortably in a 4 pound tent.

Trying to optimize quality and cost I typically look at Kelty. The trail ridge 2 is in your price range. The TN2 looks like a pretty nice tent if you can find it on sale. Personally, I wouldn't want to share a 2-person tent with another guy. A tarp would probably be less confining option. I share a tent with my family. When I go out with friends, we each bring our own shelter.

#188396 - 01/06/15 06:02 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: BrianLe]
Sadmoto Offline

I live in western NY so I'll mainly be hiking/camping on the finger lakes trails, I also would like to go back to the Adirondacks again.

And thank you BZH those are some good things to bring up and clarification on the PU coating, from what I understand the PU coating is only really useful for the flooring because that's really the only place there would be pressure and water potentially under the tent pooled.

That makes the ascend seem gimmicky now, but the eureka still seems a viable option if you compare it to another like the kelty TR2, both has good reviews from multiple websites and videos and they almost identical for.

if you compare the kelty trail ridge 2 for $200 and the eureka sunriver2
here is the keltys and the the sunriver's are above in my first post.
Wall material:
68D Polyester

Floor material:
68D Polyester, 1800 mm

Fly material:
75D Polyester, 1800 mm

the main differences I see are:
-the eureka has 190t polyester taffeta with 1800mm coating
the Kelty website doesn't even list the T value but I assume its the same or lower if its not listed. 190t seems to be a standard from what I've seen and the eurkea's floor fabric is thicker 75d vs 68d.
-eureka has 1 door& vestibule compared to 2 on the kelty TR2 (this is not a big deal for me or my friends)
-40d no-see-um mesh vs the 68D poly with no-see-um mesh.
so the few inches at near the bottom are a little more durable?
-eureka is 1 lb 5 oz. lighter , 1 inch bigger W&L when setup, its smaller when packed, eureka is 5" x 18" and the TR2 is 7"x 23"
- and the obvious, eureka is $70 cheaper.

There are definite trade offs but I'm still leaning to the eureka and not only because of the price. Kelty does seem more quality oriented, how its put together may be done better but one difference is that I can buy the eureka locally and actually get my hands on it before I buy it and make sure there are no rips, holes, mis-stitching and so on. I can be "that guy" who checks all the seams in the store haha, but with the Kelty it would have to be shipped and potentially reshipped if there was something wrong, I normally don't mind buying things offline but its nice being able to see it in front of you before you drop the $. That's a main reason why I refuse to buy used items anymore I have gotten good used items but most times I've gotten screwed, sure it may be cheaper but 9/10 times there is reasons for it aside from it just being used, there is normally something wrong with it. So sure, maybe I could find one of those tarptent tents that's 300 new, maybe half the price but god only knows where that tent has been and whats been done in/to it...

Thank you guys again for the responses thanks , I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a pain in the butt grin , I'm just trying to figure out whats the best I can get for my $ and know why one tent is better then the other.

#188402 - 01/07/15 12:52 AM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: Sadmoto]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Don't worry about asking questions. That's a lot of what happens here. In spite of your reservations, I still would consider narrowing down your choices, then looking for a used tent on Craigslist, eBay or the buy/sell forum on sites like this one. May take some time, but you can find bargains if you are patient. I have bought a fair amount of used gear, including a couple of tents, so I know it can be done. I'd rather get a slightly used good quality tent than a lesser quality new one. There is some risk, but it can be worth it.

Edited by TomD (01/07/15 01:00 AM)

#188406 - 01/07/15 10:49 AM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: TomD]
Sadmoto Offline

Thanks! smile
I will take a look at some used tents and maybe if I see one that seems worth getting I'll throw another post here more then likely haha.
I also found the Marmot Limelight 2P and it looks like it could be worth getting, its 220 so it a bit over what I originally wanted to spend. but I was emailing a rep from tigeroutdoors about their tents and even though I wasn't going to buy one because of the size, their tents were nice but not wide enough they still were giving me information and adivce about different fabrics that was very helpful, it was very nice. This one is equal or better in just about every way. I'm also pretty sure marmot is well known(I also found this by the tent link on this website grin ), it potentially may be have a better build quality? I knew of Marmot before looking at tents but I didn't know eureka aannndd that cedar color looks nice :3. I'd be willing to save up a bit if its worth getting and since I have some time before I have to get the tent, it's too cold for me now. whistle

One thing though is I'm lost on something called W/R and F/R.
I've tried googling but I can't find anything about those letters linked to tents. confused
Whatever it is, it wasn't listed on the other tents I've looked at.

edit: I'm guessing W/R means water resistant? not sure about F/R? fire maybe?

Edited by Sadmoto (01/07/15 06:48 PM)

#188415 - 01/07/15 06:04 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: Sadmoto]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I picked up the Mountain Hardware Optic 3.5 (which is quite a bit larger, similar weight, much better view, easy to set up/take down and has huge vestibules) for about $209 new. Goole it up on Amazon and google shopping and see who is offering what prices. The front/side door option is fantastic as is the ability to really open up and see the world while still having the rain fly.

The Optic 2.5 is only a little smaller yet seems to consistently have a higher actual price where the 3.5 seems to be cheaper. Both got great reviews in Backpacker as well.

#188430 - 01/08/15 12:43 PM Re: Hello! newcomer with some questions [Re: AdventureMyk]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
That MH Optic looks pretty comparable to the Eureka! I ended up getting for my family and myself. They both use PU coating rather than sil. I didn't know PU flaked off when I got it, but if/when that happens, I figure I'll try to re-coat it. Many people have had good results sil-treating uncoated tarps at home, but who knows if I could get it to stick with PU remnants on/in the fabric?

Things to consider.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum