Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188364 - 01/04/15 10:11 AM Looking for hiking boot/shoe with soft sole
malibu383 Offline

I'm on my feet all day for work (home inspector) and also hike. Looking for a hiking shoe/boot that has a very soft/cushony sole. I only weigh about 160 lbs and most shoe soles are very stiff and don't compress. I wear orthotics so I remove the inner liner that shoes come with, making the sole very important for compression. I often hike on damp/wet areas with tree roots and rocks. Any suggestions on a specific shoe and/or how to go about searching for a soft sole hiking shoe?

#188365 - 01/04/15 11:42 AM Re: Looking for hiking boot/shoe with soft sole [Re: malibu383]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
You might have good luck with trail running specific shoes since most are designed to have more flexibility for runners. I'm currently wearing Salomon, so that be good starting point to see if they fit and meet your flexibility. I hike in the Smokies so it always wet there and my feet have stayed dried with my Salomon when hiking through little mud, wet leaves, stepping on stones that has rushing water, etc.

Edited by ETSU Pride (01/04/15 11:43 AM)

#188366 - 01/04/15 01:14 PM Re: Looking for hiking boot/shoe with soft sole [Re: ETSU Pride]
bluefish Offline

I've worn Wolverine Dura-Shock boots for the past 20 years to save my knees from my labors as a builder. The insoles are great, but the soles are Vibram that are thick and cushiony also. The downside is, thick soles have deep lugs that attract dirt into interior spaces. They are good platforms on ladders. The home inspections I've done for clients involved much going up on roofs and inspecting chimneys. IMHO, the most durable, waterproof, and comfortable of the work boots in the 100 and change range. I even use my steel toed boots for hikes. They're good on trails and allow walking in water for short spells. . My Merrel Moab trail runners are the most cushion of any of the trail runners I've used.

Edited by bluefish (01/04/15 01:26 PM)

#188367 - 01/04/15 02:47 PM Re: Looking for hiking boot/shoe with soft sole [Re: malibu383]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've used Vasque and Merrell, and found both to be good. However, you shouldn't rely on what any of us like. Shoes are, as you no doubt know, something that you need to try on and find what works and fits best for you, not us. The best bet: go to a store that knows how to fit shoes, and try on whatever they've got. You don't say whether your hiking is dayhiking or overnighting. If you'll be carrying a full load of gear, then take a packed pack with you and try it on with the finalists - an extra 20, 30, or 40 pounds can affect the fit of your shoes.

If you don't have a nearby store, and are forced to use online sources, then try to choose one with a good return policy: order several pairs, and send back the "losers."

#188368 - 01/04/15 04:53 PM Re: Looking for hiking boot/shoe with soft sole [Re: malibu383]
malibu383 Offline

Thanks for the suggestions and advice! I had not thought about trail running shoes but that may do the trick.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum