Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188268 - 12/27/14 09:44 PM Looking for cross-country hiking partners for 2015
HikerScott Offline

Hi, my name is Scott and I’m going to be walking westward across the U.S. in late February 2015. As there are significant benefits to going with at least one other person, I’m looking for people who might be interested in doing this with me. The trip should take about 6 months. I already have one guy going with me and we're looking a for at least one more. Please let me know if you’re up for the challenge! Thanks a lot. -Scott

#188287 - 12/29/14 12:05 AM Re: Looking for cross-country hiking partners for 2015 [Re: HikerScott]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Scott,

Few cross-country walks are successful without meticulous planning. In my opinion it's more difficult than planning a long trail like the Appalachian Trail as there are few sources of information from those who have done it.

I have many questions, but I'll only ask two.

1. Have you averaged walking 20 miles a day carrying your gear for a month? This is what it will take to complete this hike in 6 months, and that doesn't include "bonus miles" for getting supplies, etc.

2. Are you acting as the leader or are you looking for a leader for the group? Someone will have to know what they are doing, or it won't succeed.

#188296 - 12/29/14 07:11 PM Re: Looking for cross-country hiking partners for 2015 [Re: HikerScott]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You might want to look on trailjournals.com for journals of those who have hiked the American Discovery Trail (the only cross country trail).

Do note that out west the distances between towns are extremely long (like 70-80 miles even on main roads) and in many areas you'll have to drive ahead and cache drinking water unless you're willing and able to carry 3-5 gallons (at 8 lbs. per gallon). I strongly recommend you obtain some backpacking experience in desert and mountain country before starting a cross-country hike.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/29/14 07:12 PM)

#188298 - 12/29/14 10:07 PM Re: Looking for cross-country hiking partners for 2015 [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Now to take a more positive approach than my previous post. First of all, I wouldn't leave until about April 7th. People find the weather on the east coast rather unpleasant in March.

Since there really isn't time to make a great plan, I'd suggest buying the maps for the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail. It's logistically easier than the American Discovery Trail. The maps will list services along the way.

Buy a push cart. They will add at least 5 miles to your daily mileage. They cost about $180. Look for bicycle trailers in WalMart. Any of the Schwinn trailers are fine. Look for one with two front wheels if possible. Keep the front wheels covered with a strip Gorilla tape or they will wear quickly. Replace the tubes with self-sealing tubes.

Don't worry about how far you can walk in the beginning. Just don't let anyone walk into injuries. Even 7 or 8 miles a day is fine for the first couple weeks.

Somewhere along the line, you may feel completing the trip is impossible. Don't despair as many people walk impossible distances after a few months.

Don't worry about the west until you get there as you won't know how far you can walk until you get there. If you can't complete the hike across the country, at least have fun for six or seven months.

Don't bring too much gear. The tent should be small and green or grey for stealth camping. Camo tents are stealthy, but arouse suspicion. Most nights, you probably won't use the tent.

Time to watch Twilight Zone reruns on Netflix. smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum