Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182927 - 02/15/14 08:35 AM Finally MRE Pizza
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan

#182930 - 02/15/14 09:14 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: GrumpyGord]
bluefish Offline

That's gonna take all the fun out of coming off the trail and heading to gorge at the closest pizza place.... grin

#182940 - 02/15/14 02:22 PM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: bluefish]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
But is it edible? Hardtack was a military invention too, and it was responsible for a lot of broken teeth! It had to be soaked in coffee or water to be edible (and to remove the weevils). And modern MREs are often called Meals Rejected by Ethiopians, although slightly more edible than 19th century hardtack.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/15/14 02:25 PM)

#182966 - 02/17/14 05:12 PM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: GrumpyGord]
lori Offline

My holy grail isn't a) heavy or b) anything with the word MRE tacked on.

Meals Requiring Enema leave a lot to be desired... anything pre-packaged with a laxative-containing piece of gum can stay far, far from me.... I like food.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#182988 - 02/18/14 01:32 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Oh, MRE's aren't that horrible, other than the constipation - however they are simply *heavy*. they're a ton of calories and you carry all the water in them, and yes, I can usually make up tastier stuff from lighter components.

I've seen and tried *many* "backpacking pizza" attempts, both from scratch and kits.. I'm a firm believer of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" - especially when it comes to this. I kind of doubt this will be any different.

I make a lot of things to eat in the backcountry - pizza isn't one of them. Bannock with cheese and pepperoni? yeah, that's ok, and probably better than most "pizza" hiking meals, but it's still not pizza smile
Browse my pictures

#182991 - 02/18/14 06:18 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: lori]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Actually I agree. I have never even tried a MRE. I am always amazed at the lengths some folks go to for backcountry meals. My meals are mostly whatever is fast and easy. Breakfast is oatmeal, lunch is snack stuff and supper is usually instant potatoes with dried vegetables and TVP. I can eat the same thing day after day and it does not bother me. YMMV

#182998 - 02/18/14 10:05 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: lori]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I always found it ironic that the MRE heaters, the packets that one adds water to in order to heat the packet of food, contained magnesium. When magnesium reacts ith water it generates heat and produces magnesium hydroxide. Magnesium hydroxide is an active ingredient in popular antacids like Maalox. So heat your food and produce a non-food grade antacid.

#186002 - 06/30/14 10:36 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: lori]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I ate my share of MREs in the Army, and I still take them if I'm only going for one night (which is the case more than half the time). Yes, they're heavier than dehydrated, but since I don't have to carry a stove and fuel it's actually the lighter option for a simple overnighter. And if I'm in an area with no water source, that's 1.5 - 2 cups more water that I can drink instead of using to prepare food.

As to the complaints of constipation, I've never had that issue, even after eating them for a week straight during field training exercises. And the "laxative gum" is an urban myth - they're just plain Chiclets. The fact is that today's rations are the most palatable and the most nutrient-rich with the widest variety that has ever existed in any military. No it's not gourmet, but then I'm not hiking into the backcountry for a fine dining experience.

#186467 - 08/06/14 10:30 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
Bil03 Offline

Loc: wyoming

MREs aren't bad but they are pretty heavy . I prefer , and my wife agrees , the dehydrated meals .

#188123 - 12/18/14 11:29 AM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: GrumpyGord]
gaustin Offline

I agree the MRE's are not all that bad, I have better idea's and they taste better. The main thing is the disadvantage of the weight of the army meals.

#188133 - 12/18/14 01:54 PM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: GrumpyGord]
Roastduck Offline

After hurricanes Rita and Katrina, I ate a lot of MREs, courtesy of the LA National Guard, and I have to agree that they're palatable, if not downright tasty. I was especially fond of the beef ravioli variety. I never got constipated, and never had sudden urges while chewing the gum. They are heavy, but each one has anywhere from 2000 to 3600 calories, and you can take things like the toiletries and condiments/spoon, things like that, and even put it I'm a much lighter Ziploc bag. I'm talking to some of my buddies in the guard to see if they can snag me a case or two before I start hitting the trails in the spring.

#188135 - 12/18/14 04:24 PM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: GrumpyGord]
atraildreamer Offline

Loc: RI
Originally Posted By GrumpyGord

I thought the holy grail of MREs was the peanut butter sandwich?

#188144 - 12/18/14 10:45 PM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: atraildreamer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I think I may have insulted Ethiopians in my prior post. I've eaten at two different Ethiopian restaurants, and their food is delicious! At least some of it could be dehydrated and used for backpacking--I need to look for recipes.

#188171 - 12/20/14 01:59 PM Re: Finally MRE Pizza [Re: OregonMouse]
Mr. Jowee Offline

I have a few cases of these stashed away. I think they're tastier than store bought dehydrated (Mountain House and such), and both options aren't exactly healthy.

I grabbed three from the top of the box, just to give an idea of the calorie to weight ratio.

-Macaroni in beef sauce: 1270 cal, 1.01 lbs. (79 calories per ounce)
-Homestyle chicken w/ noodles and veggies: 1190 cal, 14.95 oz (80 calories per ounce)
-Pasta with garden veg in tomato sauce: 1230 cal, 14.75 oz (83 calories per ounce)

So they're all hovering around 80. Mountain House meals are usually around 120. However, I haven't taken apart an MRE and removed the toiletries, heater, heater pouch, and tube of salt water to activate the heater. I received these cases after a hurricane a few years ago, and they are different than the ones distributed after Katrina. The outermost packaging is different, and the military version didn't contain the tube of salt water.

Other than weight, the MRE is a mush more complete meal. Compared to the MH Lasagna in meat sauce (the only one I happen to have):
Total fat: ~83% in the MRE, vs 30% in the Mountain House.
Sodium: ~50% vs ~30%.
Carbs: 180g (about 50%) vs 68g (about 23%)
Protein: ~30g vs 35

All of these vary from meal to meal, especially cholesterol. Unlike the Mountain House, the MRE is more than just a main course. The ones I have also include an oatmeal cookie, a pop tart, drink mix, peanut butter, and a cracker. The version I had after Katrina varied in the side dishes, so maybe these are a civilian version for emergencies.

I'd never considered them an option before this thread. I'll have to take one to work and weigh it without all of the extras.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum