Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187740 - 11/17/14 01:50 PM Backpack ???
Hillbilly Offline

Loc: Eastern Ozarks, S. Mo.
I'm looking at backpacks, This one seems to be what I'm after, but I'm looking for opinions.
First, I hunt, I've hunted Western Montana, Have family in Wa. and plan to hunt there. My son in law and I are talking about going to hunt the Bob Marshall wilderness area in Mt.
I know I'll need to be prepared for any weather and at least a week(maybe two)in the field. We'll be setting up a base camp and moving around from there. I was looking at Cabela's 85L Prestige frame pack. It's quite heavy at 11lbs. but has 5187cu.in., a 2l hydration bladder, rifle/bow holder, rain cover and the pack comes off the frame for hauling out meat/ head.
Does anyone have any experience with these? There is a 70L and a 100L.I think 5187 inches will do well.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

#187775 - 11/20/14 02:42 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: Hillbilly]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
An 11 pound pack is too heavy. When you fill the pack, it will probably weigh about 70 pounds. Forget about carrying that very far.

#187776 - 11/20/14 05:27 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
11 lbs. is my total weight for everything except food and water--and that's hiking in the high Cascades or Rockies, 3 season (temps down to 10*F). While for what you want you do need a more robust pack, probably an external frame, 11 lbs. for the pack alone is ridiculous.

Here is a gear list for a high altitude elk hunt in Colorado. Note that his pack (pack frame plus pack bag plus pack pocket) weighs 4.6 lbs.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/20/14 05:33 PM)

#187817 - 11/26/14 02:58 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: OregonMouse]
Hillbilly Offline

Loc: Eastern Ozarks, S. Mo.
Thanks Gershon and OreganMouse,
Your input is helpful. Is weight the difference between internal and external frame packs. Packing out an animal is a major concern. I would think a freighter type frame is an absolute. Also, room for food, water, three season clothing, because during hunting season, sometimes it's cool, freezing or even hot all in a two week time period.I'll have a sleeping bag, tent, cooking utensils, flash light, batteries, small tool pouch, bow/rifle, ammo, small pack ax and shovel and TP. I'd like to see which water purifiers work best too, something you can dip in a stream and pump water into a pot or bladder and drink. Does such a filter truly exist?
Our thinking at this point is to set up a base camp 8-10 miles from the vehicle, then hunt out from there, returning in the evenings.

#187820 - 11/26/14 09:22 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: Hillbilly]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've never packed out an animal. Perhaps you should ask hunters in your area what they use.

Around here, I've noticed most hunters use four wheelers or they drive into a base camp. They usually have a huge tent and lots of beer.

If I were going hunting I might bring about six bullets. Maybe only three. You won't get that many good shots.

I'm not sure what you'd use an ax and a shovel for.

Before you get too far into this, I'd suggest trying to carry 75 pounds on your back for 10 miles. Use any pack for this experiment. It sounds like you are going to carry at least that much. Or you can go to Home Depot and carry a 75 pound bag of cement once around the store without resting.

My personal opinion is you are trying to pack too much learning into one trip. It seems like you are trying to learn camping, hiking and hunting in one trip. Unless you have a guide, it will likely be miserable.

Why not drive into a camp and bring all the stuff you want. Hunt 2 or 3 miles from the camp and only carry the essentials. If you manage to kill something to bring home, you can make several trips to bring all the meat.

#187821 - 11/26/14 10:07 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
In any case, by now the deer and elk in the areas you're considering will long since have left the high mountains and will be down in the lowlands. You won't be that far from a road. Even if you're looking at early next fall (before the snow really starts to accumulate in October), if your hunt is successful you'll be making several trips out with the meat. No way can anyone carry 100+ lbs. of meat plus winter camping gear. That's why most elk hunters pack with horses.

The 4 1/2 lb. pack that Andrew Skurka used in the list I linked to is a freighter frame with separate (detachable) pack bag. You won't want to use an internal frame or the normal external frame (which has a permanently attached pack bag). (You can click on the items in the gear list to see what they're like.) His gear, IMHO, looked really good, although I'd personally want a heavier rifle (like a 30-06). Unfortunately, this was his first hunt and he didn't do any scouting or study of elk habits ahead of time, so the score was, as he puts it, Elk 1, Skurka 0.

Gershon, a small hatchet is really useful for butchering large game to cut through the bones (particularly the breastbone). I agree about leaving the shovel behind, though--the ground will probably be frozen!

#187884 - 12/02/14 03:06 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
OM, thanks for the Skurka link. That is an interesting read.
I have been eyeing the Kifaru UL series of stuff. But, it is $$$.
As for wanting a 30-06, his 308 is pretty much the same thing. The ballistics are pretty similar.

For the OP, look at the Kelty Cache Hauler. It is heavy, but you need a good frame with a comfortable suspension if you want to haul meat out. The Kifaru that Skurka used is probably a better option...if you can afford it. There are also other options that have a well built, somewhat light frame for hauling.

#187958 - 12/10/14 12:04 PM Re: Backpack ??? [Re: finallyME]
GNPjason Offline

Loc: LV, NV
Check out the KUIU Icon Pro Series Packs. They are made for hunters by hunters. I just picked one up to replace a Mountain Hardwear Maestro I have been using for backcountry trips for the last 7 years.

Would your trip into the Bob Marshall wilderness be your first backcountry trip? If so, that is very very ambitious. The "Bob" is an absolutely beautiful, virtually untouched and amazing place but it is also very unforgiving and quite a challenge for even the most seasoned veterans. I am not questioning your abilities Hillbilly, I am just making sure you are aware of what you are getting yourself into. Sounds like a super fun trip though.

Edited by GNPjason (12/10/14 12:59 PM)
Edit Reason: wrong name

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum