Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187715 - 11/14/14 03:08 PM GoLite Go Bye-bye?
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Just received an email from GoLite announcing their "Going out of business" sale. The email includes a bankruptcy notice, so this looks like curtains for GoLite.

I'll be sad to see them gone from our gear supply landscape. Have shelters, backpacks and one or two pieces of GoLite clothing and am a happy and loyal customer.

#187716 - 11/14/14 04:00 PM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
They closed their retail outlets and filed for Ch. 11 a couple of months ago, but couldn't find an investor to take the place over, which is why they're liquidating.

Not my opinion, but someone else's: Paul Magnati blog comments on GoLite bankruptcy.

My personal opinion is that GoLite blew it when they stopped making the Reed rain pants. I have one of the last pair I could find available new, and they are awesome! When seeking discontinued items, sometimes it is helpful being bigger around than most women!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/14/14 04:11 PM)

#187732 - 11/17/14 02:59 AM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: Rick_D]
mekineer Offline

I wish I had known, before I bought all my gear. How does one find these sales?

#187741 - 11/17/14 03:12 PM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: mekineer]

Not too sure about this 20% off deal. GoLite was advertising their stuff at 50% off (although they never said of what) when they switched to selling only through their own stores/internet site. All their stock has been sold to a liquidation company, I understand, and the liquidation company is conducting the sale. 20% off isn't much when you consider no warranty or customer service.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/17/14 03:14 PM)

#187745 - 11/18/14 11:16 AM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: Rick_D]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I am bummed out that Golite is going out of business. I am a long-time fan and I felt lucky that I live and work so close to their stores.

I'm not business-savvy enough to comment on why they are failing, but I do know why I kept coming back to them. Several times when I started researching a piece of technical clothing or gear, it was uncanny hwo often they had just what I was looking for. And at a reasonable price. It may not always have been the best price, but being able to go into a store and pick it up and see it was a real advantage.

I will miss Golite, but at least I'll have their gear for a long time. I have enough to last a few years. laugh

#187748 - 11/18/14 01:28 PM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: DustinV]
Rick_D Offline

I'm with you, Dustin (except for the living near a store bit). They managed to "mainstream" a lot of gear that was either not available at all or only from cottage makers and IMHO did change the landscape some. Without GoLite I don't think we'd have Big Agnes, for example. It's a rough business, with slender margins and a lot of competition, and the industry is still recovering from the recession. I'm a little surprised nobody saw enough value to swoop in and buy them out and keep the brand going. Heck, North Face is probably on their fifth or sixth owner.

I'll keep several GoLite pieces in rotation, including the Shangrila 2 and 3, Jam, down quilt and down jacket. For anybody wanting to snag one of the remaining pieces, I advise going for it, warranty or no, if there's no equivalent from elsewhere. They're mostly fairly priced, even without the discount.

Cheers,

#188392 - 01/06/15 02:59 AM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: Rick_D]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
The history of gear companies is often quite interesting. Thanks to the internet and various websites, including company sites, you can find some of the stories about the early days of companies like TNF, K2, Sierra Designs and Jansport. Many of the early companies are gone, like Moss, Frostline, the original Eddie Bauer, or have merged or been bought by conglomerates like TNF and Jansport, now owned by VF.
There is an interesting interview with the founder of Go-Lite online. He admits making a few fundamental mistakes that put the company under, such as expanding the product line too wide and opening up to many retail stores. Btw, there is a big TNF store on Beverly in Beverly Hills. No idea who came up with the idea to put it there, but it must be making money.

Edited by TomD (01/06/15 03:05 AM)

#191159 - 06/28/15 04:39 AM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: Rick_D]
apex Offline

Loc: IL
Golite went bye bye when ray left the company. Ray Jardine made Golite successful. Their products got funky in a weird way after he left the company. Their backpacks and umbrellas are the only thing worth looking into. i still don't know why they have hip belts when rays packs are obviously hipbeltless

Edited by apex (06/28/15 04:42 AM)

#191163 - 06/28/15 05:19 PM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: apex]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Of all the things to remove from a pack, the hip belt makes the least sense to me. A pack needs to almost levitate itself before a hip belt becomes superfluous, imo, because hips are much better suited to supporting weight than shoulders (and spines).

#191181 - 06/29/15 04:58 PM Re: GoLite Go Bye-bye? [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Isn't that the truth? Even a humble daypack needs a waistband (as opposed to a full belt) to keep the thing from banging about, especially on steep downhills.

In any case, as best as I recall he wasn't ever a formal "part" of the company; rather, he (reluctantly) licensed his designs to Coup for manufacture and marketing. And some of them were indeed very close to the plans and kits sold directly by Jardine himself. They were listed in the catalogs as "Ray Way."

Alongside these bits, strictly GoLite designs were also being sold and eventually formed the core of the business. Naturally there was an eventual falling out between the parties (nobody could have predicted...) but that's unlikely to account for any meaningful part of the company's demise.

#191745 - 08/29/15 04:22 PM "My Trail" launch [was: GoLite Go Bye-bye?] [Re: Rick_D]
Rick_D Offline

Coup evidently has the old GoLite mailing list because I've been getting messages about his new startup My Trail, which he's busy capitalizing. Per the website he reacquired the GoLite designs and wants to put popular ones back into production. For anyone who missed out on a Shangrila or a Jam, there's hope.

My inner SEC demands I note this is not an investment endorsement. Thus endeth the disclaimer. My gen-you-wine hope is the relaunch is successful.

Cheers,

#191746 - 08/29/15 06:10 PM Re: "My Trail" launch [was: GoLite Go Bye-bye?] [Re: Rick_D]

Now if he will just restart the GoLite Reed rain pants! Everyone missed them when they were discontinued.I have one of the last pair that were available new, which are probably now worth more than what I paid for them.

#191747 - 08/29/15 11:39 PM Re: "My Trail" launch [was: GoLite Go Bye-bye?] [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
If I might suggest an available alternative, the Montbell Versalite rain pants might be able to replace your GoLite Reed pants when they finally bite the dust. They have worked well for me walking for hours of constant rain. They are bare bones in terms of features, but are also extremely lightweight. You might like them.

#191748 - 08/29/15 11:41 PM Re: "My Trail" launch [was: GoLite Go Bye-bye?] [Re: aimless]

I doubt that I get to the point of needing new ones, but if I do, I'll remember that! Everyone thought that the Reeds were really special, and I really like the ones i have.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/29/15 11:55 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum