Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186525 - 08/11/14 03:53 PM No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies?
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've seen lots of meal plan lists that include lots of fatty foods (nuts, chocolate, fritos) and dried fruits. One of the things that seems lacking in most of these lists, though is vegetables. If you're cooking on the trail, I know you can dehydrate/rehydrate pretty much anything, but what do you no-cook folks do for veggies?

#186530 - 08/11/14 04:52 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
When I go “no cook” it’s for a single night or at most a two nighter. I just don’t worry about the lack of fruits and vegetables in my diet for that short of a time span. If I were planning to go for longer without cooking I would probably add some vegetable puree when I make fruit leather and some freeze dried vegetables are tasty to eat without rehydrating.

#186536 - 08/11/14 09:38 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'll bring carrots, celery, radishes, broccoli, depends on what I can scrounge from the kitchen but I eat all of those raw more often than cooked and they all travel well for a couple days or more when it's cool out.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of hiking and want to go lighter I'll turn more to dried fruit for fiber. Raisins, cranberries, prunes, cherries, etc. and fresh apples are always good.

"You want to go where?"

#186544 - 08/12/14 09:57 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: billstephenson]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
You can eat "Just Veggies" raw.

#186546 - 08/12/14 11:29 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: Gershon]
4evrplan Offline

Great tip Gershon. This just spawned a mad googling session about freeze-drying foods at home.

#186557 - 08/13/14 09:53 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Great tip Gershon. This just spawned a mad googling session about freeze-drying foods at home.

"Another Fork in the Trail" is a good book on dehydrating vegetarian food. The book is a bit expensive at $9.99. I think the author has a website with many of the recipes.

You could look on the lite food section of this forum for more recipes.

#186558 - 08/13/14 10:33 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: Gershon]
4evrplan Offline

I know freeze drying is technically a type of dehydrating, but for the rest of this post, I'm going to use the term "dehydrating" exclusively for the warm air method...

I've got a dehydrator, which I've been using to make all kinds of stuff, and I tested the food out on my car camping trip last weekend. It was great, but not exactly gourmet. That's fine, I'm just trying to keep things easy. There're just some things that do better freeze-dried than dehydrated. I know some campers had trouble with peas getting rock hard, for example, yet peas is one of the ingredients in "just veggies". After reading the description carefully, I saw that the peas and corn are freeze-dried instead of dehydrated like the other ingredients. My guess is this is precisely to prevent the hard texture. Traditionally, freeze-drying is a very expensive process requiring specialized equipment, but I've seen there're instructions online for doing it with nothing more than a freezer and stuff you'd have in your kitchen anyway; it just takes a while. Now I'm eager to try it out.

#186563 - 08/13/14 01:25 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Please let us know how your home freeze drying works.

Meanwhile, I've had pretty good luck with dehydrated veggies in such items as pasta salad, even cold mashed potatoes. (Think of them as potato salad with a different texture.) Shredded cabbage, carrots, celery, parsley, zucchini, cukes, etc., all worked well for me. Peas I run through the blender a bit to chop so they can rehydrate more easily. Consider other other options in addition to pasta and potatoes, even tuna/chicken salad with veggies on crackers. Cucumber or zucchini "chips" with sun or home dried tomatoes, string cheese, and pepperoni make a decent no-cook trail lunch, maybe with some crackers for filler carbs. I also make "walking salads" which basically are versions of slaw, carrot, or Waldorf salads w/o mayo (sub applesauce for binder), and dehydrated into patties or rolls. Cook some potatoes, onion, and celery, maybe a little corn, in the liquid from a can of salmon, blend until mostly smooth, then dehydrate. Add the salmon to the blender and dehydrate all together or separately, adding the salmon to your packaged soup bundles. Add hot or cold water as your mood and the weather dictates. (Think vichyssoise.) Bacon bits, green onion, chives, dried leek, parsley, lots of things can be added as your mood and available items dictate. I was going to have salmon chowder for supper one cold, soggy hike, but came upon a shelter mid-day, so stopped to boil water and had salmon chowder while I warmed up and dried out. It was a memorable experience. Another particularly hot day, I decided my salmon chowder needed to be cold salmon potato salad. It could just as easily have been "salmon vichyssoise," had I been in the mood for spooning up soup.

CamperMom

#186579 - 08/14/14 08:47 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
leilasi Offline

Wheatgrass powder. Find one that taste good (most do). It is an above average nutritional punch I think. Take carrots and cucumbers. Munch on dried porcini (yummy) or kelp (crazy about it, it is crazily salty just so you know). Oh, kelp powder is amazing. Vegetable chips (if you got to eat chips better make it nutritionally worthy). The best thing to do is to keep yourself well nourished in adventure travels; I skip many things but definitely not veggies, eggs and nuts.

Next to your veggies might be interesting to take roasted chickpeas from a Turkish shop (leblebi), believe me, they are one of the yummiest goodness snacks I ever ate (they come with and without salt). I feel pretty loaded with them, would dare to say more than with nuts.

#186720 - 08/22/14 04:47 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I just buy freeze dried veggies from the store. Here are some online.

Freeze dried peas

#186732 - 08/22/14 07:58 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Broccoli slaw or cabbage makes a great Asian coleslaw, which lasts several days. I just bring a bottle of dressing (rice vinegar, soy, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot pepper, a little honey or sweetener) and cilantro to mix in when I eat it.

#187251 - 10/01/14 03:17 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I'm brand new here, so apologies if I'm restating common knowledge...

I was thinking the same thing this morning, as I'm currently committed to a diet that includes 6-10 ounces of veggies with lunch and dinner. I did some googling, and there's a huge variety of freeze-dried and dehydrated veggies out there:
http://shop.honeyville.com/freeze-dried-green-beans.html
http://shop.honeyville.com/freeze-dried-broccoli.html
http://shop.honeyville.com/dehydrated-carrots.html

The freeze-dried stuff will likely re-hydrate with cool water... although I've never tried it. This place also has lots of stuff like diced ham, turkey, beef, as well as a bunch of flavored textured vegetable protein (TVP) that I'm curious about. I ran some numbers, and based on what they quote for broccoli (5 pounds of fresh broccoli per can), it's only about $3.25/lb of reconstituted broccoli. That's not too bad!

I can't have flour or sugar, so I'll likely be assembling my own dried meals from ingredients like these. Should be interesting!

-Rodney

#187254 - 10/01/14 04:06 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: carbeque]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Bags of frozen chopped spinach dehydrate very well in the dehydrator--just spread the spinach on parchment-paper-covered trays. It's a good idea to break up clumps when it's halfway dried. Choppped dried spinach reconstitutes quite quickly so should be just fine using cold water (with a longer soaking time).

I've gotten to the point that I add a tablespoon of dried spinach to nearly all my dehydrated meals to boost the veggie content.

Do note that dehydration destroys vitamin C. For longer trips, a Vitamin C supplement (unless, like me, you take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement daily anyway) is an excellent idea.

#187255 - 10/01/14 04:12 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

I like Emergen-C, but it does have sugar.

#187262 - 10/02/14 12:24 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Just learn to identify the most abundant wild greens in your area. During much of the summer you can forage for your greens. Bring a salad dressing. This does not need to involve hours of work - I just pick flowers and greens during the day or camp near a patch of edible greens. My favorite salad is miner's lettuce topped with columbine.

#187263 - 10/02/14 03:48 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: wandering_daisy]
4evrplan Offline

Now that you mention it, I do love fresh dandelion greens.

#187557 - 11/01/14 06:47 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
Mama Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
If you want stuff dehydrated from the grocery store, Hungry Jack dehydrated cheesy hash brown potatoes are Yummy, sun dried tomatoes (technically a fruit), dried minced onion, dry veggie soup mixes for mainstream foods. There are also dry veggie snacks and chips. Some places have freeze dried veggies but not everywhere.

I go through the trouble of dehydrating because my own food is less salty and tastes better. But you can't beat the convenience of freeze dried food from the gear shop. If you're going to go this route, may I suggest just getting meals. Otherwise you'll pay almost as much for the veggies as for a meal. If you look carefully, you can find some meals with alot of veggies. My husband and child love for example Mountain House Beef Stew. It is full of peas, carrots, and potatoes. With these meals, there's little clean up after. You can cook them by dumping boiling water in the bag, sealing, and waiting some minutes. The foil liner in the bag keeps them good and hot when sealed. Then you just have the bag to carry out. If you are alone and eat directly out of the bag, only have to wash your utensil, don't even have a bowl or pot to wash.

I have something on 11 low cost easy grocery store foods for the pack if you want to take a look (but it's not veggies focused). http://mamasbasecamp.blogspot.com/2014/09/backcountry-eats-tips-for-11-easy.html

#187561 - 11/02/14 12:11 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
Blue Sky Offline

Timely topic. I was just wondering today how I can increase my vegetable intake on my hiking trips. I tend to get constipated for the first few days and thought eating more veggies might help with that.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Blue
PS No wild vegetables growing out here in the desert sadly

#187571 - 11/03/14 10:29 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: CamperMom]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
Please let us know how your home freeze drying works.

CamperMom

The experiment is on-going, but here's what's happened so far. The simplest instructions say to just leave the food, cut into small pieces and spread out, exposed in an otherwise empty freezer for a week. After a week, check it, and if it's not ready, give it another week. I wanted to do this without buying or building anything extra, so I decided to go this route and picked out some frozen peas to try. I divided them evenly between two paper plates and put them in the freezer at work, since it wasn't being used. After a week, they still had a long way to go. I tested them at about two weeks and again after three. After that, I kinda forgot about them. I'm not sure how much time passed, but I checked them again, probably about two weeks ago. I wanted to give them a little extra time to be completely sure, and I also need a bag to repackage them into so they don't absorb moisture from the air, so they're still in the freezer for now. Once I get them out and packaged up, I'll report again on how they turned out. So far, I'm thinking, yes, it does technically work, but it takes too long and uses too much freezer space to be practical.

#187598 - 11/05/14 07:07 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
CamperMom Offline

Interesting. Sometime I may try vacuum-sealing a small amount of veggies in a Mason jar, then placing the jar into the freezer to see if water vapor crystals form inside the jar. Dumping the veggies into another dry jar and repeating may eventually give me "freeze-dried" veggies. This would be time-consuming and take up freezer space, as you mentioned. I can only see doing this with something like peas that don't rehydrate easily. it would be far easier to buy dehydrated peas or do as I've been, which is to break up dehydrated peas in a blender of food processor.

#187614 - 11/07/14 02:29 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: CamperMom]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
On short trips I just bring vegies...in fact on day 1 those premade salads in a bag hold up just fine til dinner. On longer trips I don't stress over the vegies...but I do still bring some oranges. Oranges hold up great in your pack.

#187618 - 11/07/14 09:37 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: CamperMom]
4evrplan Offline

Interesting. Sometime I may try vacuum-sealing a small amount of veggies in a Mason jar, then placing the jar into the freezer to see if water vapor crystals form inside the jar. Dumping the veggies into another dry jar and repeating may eventually give me "freeze-dried" veggies. This would be time-consuming and take up freezer space, as you mentioned. I can only see doing this with something like peas that don't rehydrate easily. it would be far easier to buy dehydrated peas or do as I've been, which is to break up dehydrated peas in a blender of food processor.

If you're able to put them under a vacuum, simply put some desiccant in the jar with them, and they should dry out very quickly. That's what this person did.

#187689 - 11/12/14 03:56 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
CamperMom Offline

Thanks for sharing that. I want to try green peas and sliced, cooked meat sometime.

#187863 - 12/01/14 11:43 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
Lucky Man Offline

Loc: Florida
I crave salads when backpacking so I make my own by dehydrating cabbage, carrots, beets etc and bringing a tiny bottle of vinaigrette.

#187897 - 12/04/14 11:24 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: CamperMom]
4evrplan Offline

Thanks for sharing that. I want to try green peas and sliced, cooked meat sometime.

Did you ever get to try this out, CM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum