Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187600 - 11/06/14 01:34 AM What to do for light lunches?
Skier mike Offline

Hi all,

I'm usually the one planning meals for the wife and I on our trips, and we've settled into a fairly good regular menu of lightweight, tasty, and calorie-filled breakfasts and dinners. Lunches, on the other hand, I'm still struggling with.

Our lunches are pretty much what we ate when I was a kid going on backpacking trips with my parents: crackers, cheese, salamis, trail-mix, jerky, etc. just kind of a hodge-podge of food. The only problem with this is that all that stuff is heavy! We've been going on longer and longer trips, and I'm planning a 10 day trip right now, and that kind of lunch is going to be waaaay too heavy for two people over that period of time.

So... What do you recommend for light lunches that still pack some calories and taste?

#187602 - 11/06/14 01:44 PM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: Skier mike]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
well... crackers, cheese, salamis, trail-mix, jerky... don't have much water in them. In other words they have a fairly high calorie density. Lighter stuff will not have as many calories. If you want to up the calorie density, you have to up the fat content. More cheese, salami, peanut butter, chocolate. Of course your body has to be able to function with that kind of diet (something you might want to verify before hand).

#187609 - 11/06/14 07:00 PM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: Skier mike]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I spend the time to eat a solid breakfast if I'm going to hike all day and really don't do a real lunch. I stop and snack on the same stuff you bring a few times while I rest a bit.

I've not done a 10 a day backpacking trip in a few decades, so I don't know what I'd do different besides get a bigger pack. One thing I do that may be different than most is bring raw honey with me, and I take a tablespoon or two of that while snacking. It's not light, but it has a lot of goodness for the weight. I also bring ginseng along, and take that while I'm snacking too. That gets me through to dinner time.

"You want to go where?"

#187615 - 11/07/14 02:31 AM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: billstephenson]
Skier mike Offline

Hmmm... Yeah, not eating isn't probably going to work, and I already do the crackers/salami thing. I have pretty much gotten my dinner menu from backpackingchef.com, and as a resut, my dinners weigh easily half of what my lunches weigh - maybe less. That website recommends going to a hot lunch that's basically like one of their dinners. I may have to try that if no one thinks I'm missing something obvious.

#187620 - 11/07/14 10:47 AM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: Skier mike]
Hawke Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Myself, for lunch I tend to do something like a Probar, but I snack on trail mix & salami/cheese throughout the day, too. The bars are good, and have decent nutritional value, but I can't do them every day, day in and day out. I don't mind the little bit of weight penalty to salami/cheese/trailmix, just to have a little something different texture/flavor-wise.

#187624 - 11/07/14 06:04 PM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: Hawke]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I eat hearty for breakfast and dinner. I don't eat lunch as such; I just snack throughout the day. Dried fruit and nuts are standbys for me. Nuts are a relatively concentrated calorie source containing heart-healthy fats and protein. I usually divide a cereal bar into 2-3 parts and eat a section at a time. Ditto for a piece of cheese (sharp cheddar). For long trips I bite the bullet on $$ and snack on freeze-dried fruit, which is a lot lighter than dehydrated fruit.

#187632 - 11/09/14 08:27 AM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

My wife and I like a flour tortilla wrapped around almond or peanut butter and a piece of fruit leather and /or Nutella. We're also very fond of Oberto's bacon jerky. Some of that,a little sun dried tomato and a packet of mayo in a wrap is pretty edible.

#187640 - 11/10/14 11:54 AM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: bluefish]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I'm mostly with Oregon Mouse. I rarely eat lunch as such, but snack often on GORP and granola bars of various sorts (I'm fond of apricot Cliff bars cut in pieces). But I cook with esbit (when I'm solo). There is usually a little piece left when I'm done boiling water. I blow it out and store it in a Ziplock.
sometimes when the day is long and the weather miserable, I'll heat water with a couple of those pieces and make Cup-a-soup or hot chocolate. Almost no additional weight and a good pep up.

best, jcp

#187648 - 11/10/14 01:06 PM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: Skier mike]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Skier mike
... I have pretty much gotten my dinner menu from backpackingchef.com, and as a resut, my dinners weigh easily half of what my lunches weigh - maybe less...

I actually doubt this is true on a per calorie basis. Dehydrated meals tend to pretty low on calories. I checked out backpackingchef.com and their recipes seem pretty typical. Fairly high in carbohydrates and a bit of protein with a smidge of fat. Carbs and proteins are 4 calories per gram. Fats are 9 calories per gram. Once you remove the water, that is what your packing breaks down into. There is not much water in crackers, cheese, hard salamis, nuts.... If you replace an equal weight of salami and cheese with dehydrated meals you are going to have a calorie loss. Furthermore, you've said you want to decrease food weight. Your plan (replace high fat foods, with less mass of high carbo, dehydrated meals) will result in a serious decrease in the amount of calories carried. Over a ten day hike that could be a real problem.

#187753 - 11/18/14 05:55 PM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: BZH]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Sorta echoing BZH......

The best way to get the same amount of calories for less weight is to increase fat.

Of course, before that, you can always take out water and lighten packaging. But, your original lunch doesn't have a lot of that.

You can also increase the fat in breakfast and dinner, thus reducing the need for a big lunch.

#187819 - 11/26/14 04:37 PM Re: What to do for light lunches? [Re: finallyME]
Skier mike Offline

Good and fair points. I do modify the backpacking chef meals to be a little more protein-ish. Thing is, objectively those meals weigh less and subjectively make me feel more full. Bur... on a per-calorie basis, you may be right. Maybe I'm just bringing too much for lunch? The dried fruit, I know, has to go (or be limited). No one eats it and it gives me the farts! (And is really heavy!)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum