Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186625 - 08/17/14 09:59 AM How do you wash dishes?
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
Let's hear your strategy for washing dishes in camp, lightweight style.
Assuming you cook food....
Do you:
Boil water for it?
Use a separate wash basin?
Wash well away from camp?
Dig a cat hole for waste?
Bring biodegradable soap?

Thanks!

#186626 - 08/17/14 10:29 AM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Before washing dishes, I wash my hands well. I make the washing chore easier by not cooking food that gets the pot too dirty. This means no oils or grease. I'm vegan, so that makes it easier.

I use a two cup pot for all my cooking. I have a separate pot for heating water for coffee while I'm eating. I put some water in the pot and clean it with my fingers. If you don't want to use your fingers, a small square of yellow camp towel works well. I dump the water away from water sources and away from the camping spot. Usually, I dump the water in the fire.

One thing I don't do is wash the pot in a stream.

A related issue is washing clothes. If I'm on a trip where I plan to wash clothes, I bring a large plastic coffee can to wash them in. The coffee can is also hand for getting water to put out the fire.

#186627 - 08/17/14 04:56 PM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
rabbitearscarver,

I usually use my tea (or coffee) bag and the last couple of sips of fluid. I strip the bag, scatter the contents (away from camp) and add the bag itself to the carry out garbage bag. There are usually only drops (literally) left so I just go a bit away from camp and sling them along with the leaves or grounds. If need be, I will rinse with a tablespoon or two of fresh water and wipe out with toilet paper. Usually the toilet paper gets carried out since I rarely make a fire.

Believe it or not, this takes less time and effort than it took to write this. I usually combine the disposal trip with my usual morning toilet run. When there is an actual outhouse, I've been known to put the leaves (or grounds), the drops of tea, the rinse water (if any), and the toilet paper (in my case, usually tissue), down the hatch.

The weight of a full week's empty bags can't be much more than an ounce (I take the labels and container bags off of them when I'm packing since I usually put each day's ration in a freezer bag).

My pot is only very rarely really dirty since I simply boil water, pour some out for tea, and then pour the food into the water, cozy the pot in my fleece hat for five or ten minutes and eat from the pan.

Once in a while my Esbit will gunk up the bottom to the pan. for that I carry in the cook kit a small piece of plastic kitchen scrubber. To use, I wet it, scrub, then clean off with a tissue. The wet scrubber goes into an empty bag, and the tissue into the carry out.

Hope this helps. I realise it sounds complicated when I write it out, but it's not.

best, jcp

#186629 - 08/17/14 05:37 PM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use the so-called "freezer bag cooking method" popularized by "Sarbar" on her excellent trailcooking.com website. Actually, it's rehydrating dried or quick-cooking food in a freezer bag, kept warm by means of a cozy. I then eat the food out of said bag.

With this method, the only item needing washing is my spoon--I just lick it, rinse with water, dry and I'm ready to go. The used plastic bag is resealed and goes back into my food bag for disposal when I get home.

As you can probably deduce, I hate washing dishes! Sarbar is my heroine!

Food waste should always be packed out, never buried--critters will go to elaborate lengths to dig it up, turning any popular camp site into a garbage dump. As for soap, even biodegradable soap is deadly to aquatic life and should be disposed of at least 200 feet from any water source.

For washing clothes (usually just dirty socks), a two gallon plastic bag works great as a "washing machine." Its other use is for hiking clothing that gets wet in the daytime--that way I can keep it in the sleeping bag so it's at least warm, if not dry, when I put it back on in the morning. The bag is less bulky than a hard-sided container.

When taking my grandkids out, I do have to do a little dishwashing--in that case I wipe the dish with a small piece of paper towel (packed out with garbage), then rinse with very hot water (I heat up a little after the meal). If it's untreated water, I let it boil a minute before using.

As you can see by the responses here, there is more than one way to do things! In other words, Your Mileage May Vary!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/17/14 05:47 PM)

#186631 - 08/17/14 09:07 PM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Lots of good ideas here.

We start by not getting very many dishes dirty. Lunches never call for dished on our trips. Breakfasts are instant oatmeal and cocoa...that means that the water gets boiled in our pot, poured into the oatmeal in the bowl, cocoa in the cup. WE rinse those out with some of the warm water from the pot (and usually drink that rinse water---hydration is good!) Then the bowl and cup get a very quick rinse with a tiny bit of Dawn, another rinse with water, and off we go.

Dinners are miso soup in that same cup, and then freeze dried dinners in their pouches. The pouches get packed out (as does all of our trash, from used TP to tea bags, etc) and the cups get washed as before.

As noted by others, always wash dishes far from any water source, and when it is time to throw the last few drips of water away, fling them so that they spread out on the ground.

Washing clothes? We rinse our clothes in water...but we don't wash them in soap.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#186679 - 08/20/14 02:45 PM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
If I cook something that is messy, which is rare, but not never, I'll bring some Dawn dish soap and if I'm by a creek I'll get some water and sand from it and use it with a few drops of Dawn to scrub a greasy pot, or I'll use a small piece of a Scotch scrub pad.

Dishwater disposal is the same wherever you go. I just walk a few hundred feet away from the source and camp and dig a cat hole and cover it when the water is mostly soaked up. I don't use much water though and I bring a thin wash cloth to wipe down my cup and pot if they need it.

"You want to go where?"

#186765 - 08/24/14 08:45 AM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Most of my meals are packed in single serve re-purposed mylar snack bags. (Wash and dry well, seal both ends with a clothes iron.) Like Sarbar's, most of my food is precooked and dehydrated. Add hot or cold water on-site. Eat from bag, lick off the spoon, sanitize it the next time I heat water. The bags are thrown out whenever a trash can is available. I've happily done this for nearly 15 years. Before this method, I cleaned the pot or cup as well as possible with a spoon or small scraper, added some water to swish around, then drank the "pot soup." No soap, no waste to leave behind. This works OK for simple, non-greasy foods. If I decide to take something like raw bacon or raw meat, I might cook these on sticks over an open fire, then burn the sticks. The grease would fall into the fire, so no worries about getting rid of that. Ground meat can be cooked in veggies (peppers, tomatoes,onions,etc.)or in foil which can be disposed of later. For me, these are too much trouble. I might reconsider if on a long trip, close to a resupply trail head. Actually washing dishes is something I try to avoid. I only carry a pot and maybe a cup, plus a spoon. Simplify, simplify, simplify...

#186816 - 08/26/14 06:50 AM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: CamperMom]
susannewilli Offline

Loc: Bayern
Sand from the creek
Ashes from the fire

And there is also a plant called Equisetum arvense that grows in swampy areas and makes a GREAT scouring device.

#186883 - 08/31/14 02:20 AM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: susannewilli]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
A little water. No soap. No food particles in any waterway. Been doing it this way over 20 years...

#204295 - 04/20/20 07:38 AM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
haan9953 Offline

Boil water in your largest pot and pour it into your wash basin together with plenty of biodegradable soap. Add enough cold water to make it cool enough to stand, then attack your dishes. Drip-Dry. Dishes can air dry in mere minutes out in the breeze, so let them drain on the collapsable drying rack.

#204301 - 04/20/20 10:09 AM Re: How do you wash dishes? [Re: haan9953]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
"Largest" pot (indicating you have more than one)? Wash basin? Drying rack? This doesn't sound like lightweight backpacking at all.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum