Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186133 - 07/13/14 08:09 AM I'm off for the JMT
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
It's 5:00 am MST here in SE Arizona. I'm leaving in about 20 minutes for California and a southbound hike of the JMT. I'll start walking on Wednesday morning. Wish me luck!

#186134 - 07/13/14 01:00 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Good luck! Walk briskly, but don't burn up the trail, because the fire danger is too high this year to risk that! wink

#186135 - 07/13/14 02:31 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: aimless]
bluefish Offline

You gave me good advice for my first trip into the Grand Canyon, Pika. I can only wish you an absolutely safe and fantastic trip.

#186146 - 07/14/14 11:13 AM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
How often do you do this Pika? I think it was just Friday I read an almost identical post of yours from a few years back (and skimmed through your trail journal as well - I would have read it all but I was exhausted at the time).

#186165 - 07/15/14 01:49 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: 4evrplan]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I'm off to Bishop Thursday after working half a day. Evo Vly over Lamarck Col. on Friday 07/18 for a week.
Duane

#186167 - 07/15/14 07:48 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: hikerduane]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I'm off to Bishop Thursday after working half a day. Evo Vly over Lamarck Col. on Friday 07/18 for a week.
Duane

I'm jealous. Enjoy

#186168 - 07/15/14 11:01 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By hikerduane
Duane
i look forward to meeting you on Thursday.

#186169 - 07/15/14 11:44 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

It's been 10 years since I was thru Evolution Valley in late August, only plan to go as far as Muir Pass, XC up to Ionian Basin hopefully, looping out over Piute Pass, not looking forward to the slog to Hutchinson Meadow, hot along that trail getting there. Time before by Hutchinson Mdw, Pooch and I caught some Cutthroats in Oct. there. It should be greener this time, real nice.
Looking forward to meeting you Tyson.
Duane

#186174 - 07/16/14 11:11 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
bobito9 Offline

Happy trails, Pika. But I have one quibble: why are you posting in the "over the hill" section? Seems to me you have some very steep hills to go up before you get to go over them wink

#186491 - 08/08/14 11:01 AM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
Pika Offline

Well, I'm back now from a successful but rainy, stormy, snowy and windy southbound JMT hike. I had a good time though and finished on August 6th. I'll be posting my journal on Trail Journals but not till I rest a bit. I'm tired from a 15 mile last day over Mt. Whitney and a 700 mile drive yesterday

#186754 - 08/23/14 12:54 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
bobito9 Offline

Hey Pika,
Glad to hear you made it through. Your start time sounds like it was a week or so earlier than mine. That was some crazy intense weather for the Sierra! Fortunately, for me, everything got back to clear and normal by Forester Pass and Whitney (Pinchot and Muir passes were pretty wild, lots of hail and lightning, though). But I'm wondering about you, how was the weather for you? Did you hit much at Forester and Whitney? I heard both were closed briefly a week or two earlier than me.

#186760 - 08/23/14 03:11 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: bobito9]
Pika Offline

Bobito,
Yeah, the weather was "interesting" to say the least. I got rained on east of Donahue Pass, south of Thousand Island Lake and briefly near Deer Creek. These were typical Sierra afternoon thunderstorms. Then, I had fairly nice weather until I got to Evolution Lake.

It started raining shortly after I left McClure Meadows at 8:00 am and kept it up until mid afternoon. It rained while I was crossing Muir Pass and again when I crossed Mather Pass. It rained most of my time in the LeConte valley too. No rain over Pinchot Pass or Glen Pass but I did get rain at the Rae Lakes. I had a dry day walking from the Rae Lakes to the Center Creek crossing. Then, about 3:00 am on Aug. 3rd it started raining hard and continued to rain till mid-late afternoon. This was a zero day for me. The storm had the creeks over their banks and snow above about 12,500'. The next day I crossed Forester Pass in rain, thick fog and through 6" of wet snow. The rain stopped before I got to Wright Creek crossing where I camped for the night. To get there, I had to wade both Tyndall and Wright Creeks: mid-thigh deep and fast flowing. The next morning I waded Wallace Creek and then made my way to Guitar Lake in sunny weather. Whitney day was clear and sunny but there was snow on the summit and on the trail from Trail Crest.

Overall, I had a good time and my gear was OK for the weather (barely). If I'd known what the weather was to be, though, I'd have taken more clothes and different raingear.

Edited by Pika (08/23/14 03:13 PM)

#186815 - 08/26/14 12:19 AM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
bobito9 Offline

Huh! Interesting!. Wild and wooly. Aug 3 we were in the Mono Creek drainage and all we got was a little light rain, not much. Our biggest precip days were after you got off the trail, but no snow, just a lot of hail on Pinchot and Muir (Pinchot was especially intense, especially heading down the last couple hours to Woods Creek) We saw some signs of creeks that had flooded in recent days, but no high crossings like you had. Forester Pass was clear, warm, and sunny. I'm guessing your vacation pictures and mine problem look a little different from each other wink (though I got stuck also with some smokey days up until about Mono Creek, which sucked)

Edited by bobito9 (08/26/14 12:26 AM)

#186834 - 08/27/14 08:53 AM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
hikerduane Offline

Wow, some harsh conditions.
Duane

#186973 - 09/03/14 03:54 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
professor Offline

Loc: Southern California
Pika,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your trail journal, it was great. Not only was your journal interesting, I found your experiences and insights valuable. All of my treks in the Sierras have been only one week long and I have never had more than one short afternoon thunder shower during any of those trips. I have no experience with storms or prolonged rain while backpacking. Your experience has caused me to evaluate myself and my rain gear’s suitability for a prolonged rain storm.

#189540 - 03/05/15 10:00 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Pika
So how would you pack differently? What different rain gear and clothes. Any other preperations you would make for bad weather to do it over?
Jim

#193013 - 12/31/15 06:50 PM Re: I'm off for the JMT [Re: Pika]
Slow Hiker Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm jealous, that's on my bucket list. Glad you had a safe trip.

Dave

Edited by Slow Hiker (12/31/15 06:51 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum