Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185734 - 06/15/14 11:29 AM Shoes with holes
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I took all my new and old hiking shoes out of the closet and washed them and inspected for re-use or throw-out. Two are in great shape because I seldom use them because they are a bit too small. But four fit perfectly, have a reasonable tread remaining, but have a small hole- all left foot- in the pinky toe side. I bash through a lot of rocks - I bet I lead with my left foot. I use Super-feet insoles that I replace annually so the status of the foot-bed is not an issue.

So, what to do. Is there any way to repair a dime-size hole without making the area stiff or uncomfortable? I have tried Barge cement on some technical climbing shoes in the past, and it resulted in unacceptable stiffness. Should I just leave the hole and deal with wet shoes? The shoes are not waterproof in the first place. All are Merrell light hiker, low cut shoes. The hole is right at the fabric-rubber toe interface.

#185737 - 06/15/14 01:49 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
There is a product called Shoe Goo, sold by REI, that might possibly give you a satisfactory result. It dries with a bit of flexibility. It is cheaper than throwing out four pairs of otherwise useful shoes.

#185738 - 06/15/14 02:25 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I've used silicone aquarium cement on similar holes. As long as it isn't put on too thick it stays pretty flexible. I saturated a small patch piece of ripstop with the stuff, put some more around the hole (worked in well) and then put the patch on like a band aid. It looked kind of dorky but it worked for another 300 miles. Better than duct tape IMHO.

#185739 - 06/15/14 04:22 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I just repaired a pair of my wife's running shoes with Shoe Goo a couple weeks ago. They were separating from the soles. It's still really early, but so far, so good. I've also put Gorilla Tape on a small hole in the upper of my "grungy" shoes, an old pair I use for yard work, hiking, and water shoes. The hole was right above the end of my big toe where the toenail was hitting it. I put the tape on the inside so it wouldn't show. So far it's holding up, and I can't tell it's there when I wear them. I've also read somewhere that it's good to reinforce the threads of shoes with super glue to make them last longer, but I haven't tried that yet. Doesn't seem to be the usual point of failure for me anyway.

#185745 - 06/15/14 10:17 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I like Pika's idea, though I've never used Shoe Goo. I just bought some Gorilla Tape this year. It's tough and sticky but I've not tested it on anything much. I patched a ripped corner in my tent with it and it did great there.

The thing about Pika's method is the silicone will saturate the ripstop and make it waterproof while still being very flexible and tough, and by working the silicone into the shoe and hole before apply the patch it should bond very well.

I've played with making silicone embedded cloth and it has some very impressive properties. It's very similar to what inflatable boats are made of, but better.

"You want to go where?"

#185767 - 06/16/14 08:55 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
bobito9 Offline

...but think how much weight you are saving by not having to carry around all that missing shoe material!
Actually my personal opinion is that once a shoe is worn to the point that the tread is worn down on an edge, or holes have worn through, it is best to just get rid of it. My cheap nature is always to want to save and get maximum use, but I have come to a different conclusion with boots. Once the wear reaches that point, the internal support of my shoe is no longer so good, not as much cushion. Also, at least for me, when I look at the shoe I can see it doesn't sit level anymore, and I'm pretty sure walking in it causes my knee to kind of torque to the side, making for bad posture, back pain, knee pain, etc.If you think about it, if the shoe is worn to one side, the lower leg then bends a bit, and the knee gets stress on it. I have had some serious foot problems, and my foot doctor strongly recommended to me not to keep using old worn footwear, and I believe this has helped me.
Of course, your experience may be different. My GF is always doing just fine with boots that seem worn down appalingly by my standards.

#185774 - 06/17/14 02:28 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I say leave the hole. Now it won't wear out there any more. smile

#185776 - 06/17/14 02:43 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Shoe Goo is great stuff for exactly what you are asking. Wet suit weld seems to be the same stuff. You make a little "dam" from masking tape, add goo, let set. You can trim it with a razor blade. It's great for building heals back up too. Very tough stuff!
I have more of a problem with the soles adhesive breaking down and the sole peeling off. Contact cement fixes that. My shoes look like they were shot with a shotgun before I'll replace them...the cheapskate I am. grin

#185778 - 06/17/14 04:49 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: finallyME]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
You could do like the old children's story and cut the hole out.

#185782 - 06/17/14 08:38 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: bobito9]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I tend to agree with bobito... if you wore a hole in the shoe, the shoes are probably worn out. It sounds like you have tried shoo goo type repairs and been unhappy with the results.

Shoe repair places still do exist (check yelp for reviews). I've been pleasantly surprised at how cheaply some of these guys will repair shoes. Though on the flip I have been less than happy with how long the repairs have lasted. In my experience repairs are not as strong as the original shoe. You wore out that spot for a reason... ipso facto the repair will wear out sooner.

#185784 - 06/17/14 11:36 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: BZH]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The shoes are not worn out. Light hikers were not intended to be used off trail going over sharp rock. I use the light shoes because they fit even though the toe portion of the shoe is not really tough enough for what I do. The soles are fine, as is the general integrity of the shoe. Just the holes.

Thanks for all the ideas. I will try a few.

#185811 - 06/18/14 11:20 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: wandering_daisy]
SC Forester Offline

Loc: SC
It might not help with your shoes that already have holes but you can add a rubber toe guard that might help prevent future toe failures. http://www.amazon.com/YakTrax-YAK111-Yak...28FX3ZGMDSKJS6X . I have not used this product it might be helpful.

#185817 - 06/19/14 10:06 AM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: SC Forester]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I say just cut some Gorilla Tape into an appealing shape and stick that on there. It won't last as long, but you can reapply, plus it's a lot cheaper and changeable on the trail.

#186245 - 07/23/14 12:14 PM Re: Shoes with holes [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I say just cut some Gorilla Tape into an appealing shape and stick that on there. It won't last as long, but you can reapply, plus it's a lot cheaper and changeable on the trail.

The inserts on my boots finally had holes wear in them. I covered them with some yellow camp towel that costs about $6.00 at WalMart or similar places. That worked fine.

If you used the Gorilla tape on the outside and the camp towel on the inside, it might work. Any small folds in the camp towel compress after a few miles and you shouldn't feel them.

Another idea is to sew a patch over the area or glue one on using hot glue.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum