Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185694 - 06/12/14 05:23 PM Hello, from TXDAD (introduction)
TXDAD Offline

Hello friends,
I didn't see a members intro subforum, so I'm assuming this would be the appropriate place.
I am a 36 year old dad with some experience and my 11 year old daughter recently expressed some interest in backpacking. We have come here (she will be TXDAUGHTER) to learn and prepare for our first trip. I'm looking forward to the learning, prep, and first epic dad/daughter trip!!

We are leaning towards the Gila Wilderness because I have a lot of experience with that park.

#185695 - 06/12/14 05:28 PM Re: Hello, from TXDAD (introduction) [Re: TXDAD]
TXDAUGHTER Offline

Hello!!! I am the daughter of TXDAD smile Like he said I am eleven years old I am NOT like other girls my age I like shooter games and hog hunting with my dad. Anybody help?

#185714 - 06/13/14 06:51 PM Re: Hello, from TXDAD (introduction) [Re: TXDAD]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Welcome aboard TXDAD and TXDaughter!

#185716 - 06/13/14 06:56 PM Re: Hello, from TXDAD (introduction) [Re: TXDAD]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Welcome - ask some questions, and you'll get lots of answers. Some may even be right. smile

#185719 - 06/13/14 11:53 PM Re: Hello, from TXDAD (introduction) [Re: TXDAUGHTER]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Welcome you two!!

This is one of the coolest posts I've seen here in awhile, and that's saying something!

It is so cool to hear about a dad and daughter wanting to get out there together. My daughter, Lisa, went camping with me a lot when she was your age. I never have hunted, but she has. We fished a lot though. She's cleaned fish with me since she was just little kid, and she learned to dress and clean deer with her friends. Lots of girls hunt and fish here in the Ozarks Mountains where we live, so you'd fit right in here.

Lisa was also a cheerleader in school, which is a really girly thing, but her and all the other cheerleaders there hunted and fished and camped. They used to have "Creek Parties" in high school and they'd hunt and fish and cook up what they got over their camp fire. Sometimes they even let boys come hang out with them. I remember once they came home mad because none of the boys knew how to start a campfire! crazy

Where I grew up none of the girls camped or hunted or fished, and I swear, when I was in High School in Los Angeles California I met a group of "Valley Girls" there who didn't believe me when I told a story about getting eggs from our chickens. They really thought eggs were made in a factory and didn't want to eat them anymore after I told them they really did come from chickens, so your right, you're not like most girls your age, and I bet your dad's mighty proud of you for that!

You two are going to have a lot of fun together. You're lucky to have a dad that will take you out there. Lisa used to invite a few friends along with her when she got about your age and all of them still talk about the fun they had, but there were only a couple other dads among them that would do that. For us dads who did, we knew the trick was to let you girls set up your own camp far enough away that we could sleep though all your giggling, and to bring plenty of supplies for Smores.

In the morning we'd all go hiking and I'd follow along while the girls explored. For me, it was really awesome because they would find the coolest things out there. Super scenic hidden spots and arrowheads and fishing holes. I think I learned more from them then they did from me, so it was always worth it.

Lisa is 28 now and she still goes backpacking and camping. She's the manager of a "Fashion Boutique", so she's still "girly', and she's also a "Cross Fit" instructor at a local gym, so she's still tough too. Last summer she did a 400 mile "Adventure Motorcycle" trip from Los Angeles down into Baja Mexico with her fiancée. They camped on the beach and in the mountains and also stayed at some really cool resorts.

It's pretty cool seeing your "little girl" grow up to be a smart and strong woman. I have no doubt your dad knows how to help raise one, or that you two will be the best of friends when you grow up. You're both lucky to have each other.

Oh, did I mention that Lisa used to pack and carry all the gear and set up the tents and gather all the fire wood and make coffee in the morning and wash and wax the car when we got home? You're dad probably does it that way too, so I suppose you know all about that, but that's part of the deal. grin

"You want to go where?"

#186024 - 07/02/14 03:49 PM Re: Hello, from TXDAD (introduction) [Re: TXDAD]
TXDAD Offline

Thank you friends for the welcoming words. I have been out for a while due to massive amounts of work and a little gear test trip to Colorado Bend State Park, TX.
I'll be around reading, learning, and asking.

#186208 - 07/19/14 09:20 AM Re: Hello, from TXDAD (introduction) [Re: TXDAD]
susannewilli Offline

Loc: Bayern
Hi,

My name is Susanne Willams. I have the immense fortunate to be able to live and play in the paradise that is the Bavarian Alps. Been sleeping outdoors since I was 6 and my parents gave up trying to keep me in the house.

I do quite a bit of Alpine Bushcraft in the Winter, and use an SUP as a wonderful bushcraft tool in the summer.

My trip reports are often in the form of videos on my YouTube channel. Some of them also include me playing Native American Flute, which I find very relaxing outdoors.

Thank you for welcoming me into this august company.

Best regards

Susanne Williams

Edited by aimless (07/19/14 01:31 PM)
Edit Reason: removed link

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum