Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184982 - 05/09/14 10:22 AM OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas...
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
What is the 1 item you brought with you on a backpacking trip (most likely early on in your hiking career) that when you got back home thought to yourself "What in the HECK was I thinking?"

I am sad to say that mine was a battery operated fan. The fan itself was lightweight, only 6 ounces. I think it might have been the 4 D batteries that caused the issue! What can I say, I'm a picky sleeper...

#184986 - 05/09/14 11:22 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Big knife. Shovel (Boy Scout are not the best authority on backpacking equipment lists)

Sierra Club Cup

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#184988 - 05/09/14 01:14 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: balzaccom]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Seconded on the big ol' sheath knife--worn on a belt, of course, to keep it handy for skinnin' barrs. They actually didn't allow us to have them in Scouts because of a kid who stabbed himself in the thigh because the knife worked its way through the sheath while he was crossing a log.

I waan't there; evidently it was quite bloody.

D-cell flashlights come to mind. Way too many clothes, of course. Then there was the time I soloed with a hammock and a two-bag sleep system comprising a liner bag with half-zip and an overbag with a zipper on the opposite side atop a foam pad. In three miserable nights I was NEVER able to get completely inside both, and they twisted me into a half-warmed burrito while underneath, the pad would turn sideways.

Big book that never gets opened?

Cheers,

#184990 - 05/09/14 01:36 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Most of us ended up as ultra-lighters because of this very question.
1. Full Mirro cookset for 2 (while solo)
2. Coleman Peak 1 stove, along with that cookset.
3. big Air Force survival knife w/sharpening stone
4. Pistol/ammo Not to get controversial, but I gave up on that long ago when I realized my fears weren't rational. In some places, yes, most places, like carrying a brick, and it's never seen the light of day.
5. Texsport dome tent with fiberglass hoops. All the rage when new but 8 lbs.!

Edited by Dryer (05/09/14 01:38 PM)

#184994 - 05/09/14 03:23 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Dryer]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By Dryer
Most of us ended up as ultra-lighters because of this very question.
1. Full Mirro cookset for 2 (while solo)
2. Coleman Peak 1 stove, along with that cookset.
3. big Air Force survival knife w/sharpening stone
4. Pistol/ammo Not to get controversial, but I gave up on that long ago when I realized my fears weren't rational. In some places, yes, most places, like carrying a brick, and it's never seen the light of day.
5. Texsport dome tent with fiberglass hoops. All the rage when new but 8 lbs.!

Sounds awfully a lot like my early incarnation of gear!
That and a hatchet, ridiculous. I also did a few grueling hikes in steel toed work boots.

#184995 - 05/09/14 03:41 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By dylansdad77
What is the 1 item you brought with you on a backpacking trip (most likely early on in your hiking career) that when you got back home thought to yourself "What in the HECK was I thinking?"...

Honest to goodness, I've carried most the same goofy stuff as most (except a gun, I've never carried a gun), but my 1st response to the "What in the HECK was I thinking?" question is by far and away other people I brought.

And after thinking about it some more the answer would be the same if were to ponder the best thing I've brought.

As far as gear goes, I get to combine the two. I brought a "Camper's Saw" and a spool of heavy twine with me once on a trip, and I brought about 3 construction workers with me too. The saw was the kind with the thin stainless blade that folds into the handle, the twine was jute, and the construction workers were the young and burley beer drinking kind.

We camped at the mouth of a creek and river and there was a pretty big fallen Sycamore tree about a 100 yards up the creek when we got there.

What in the HECK was I thinking?

"You want to go where?"

#184996 - 05/09/14 04:03 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Oooohhh, yes, your saw tale has me remembering the axe. Not a hatchet, an axe. Certain buddies would also pack an Army surplus entrenching tool (not the lousy Korean copy, either). They were great for...trenching.

Funny how we bury certain memories [pun unintended].

A friend once produced a watermelon from his pack, I think it was night 2 or 3. But he became an instant hero and legend from that day forth. Nobody ever applauded the axe.

Cheers,

#184997 - 05/09/14 04:24 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Rick_D]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I too would applaud the watermelon....however, it would be exected to make subsequent appearances on future adventures...

#185000 - 05/09/14 05:56 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

A watermelon... cool

He deserves his legendary heroic status.

"You want to go where?"

#185005 - 05/10/14 12:18 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: billstephenson]
bobito9 Offline

I sneered under my breath at a friend who brought a 5th of scotch in a glass bottle on a backpacking trip (a very difficult trip at that). But, I gotta say I enjoyed drinking it:)
I'm not sure what my personal worst item was, but a copy of "War and Peace" is definitely high on the list.

#185007 - 05/10/14 01:09 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I once brought a very heavy surplus army coat (cotton!) on a backpack, which must have weighed five or six pounds by itself. It was in July, but I must say the weather where I went was nasty, cold and wet much of the time I was there, and the coat was the warmest thing I owned at the time. It came in handy, but still it was a wretched thing to lug around.

#185008 - 05/10/14 09:08 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: bobito9]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By bobito9
I sneered under my breath at a friend who brought a 5th of scotch in a glass bottle on a backpacking trip (a very difficult trip at that). But, I gotta say I enjoyed drinking it:)
I'm not sure what my personal worst item was, but a copy of "War and Peace" is definitely high on the list.
i had a friend bring a half gal of tequila once, I woke up with one leg in the river and a fishing pole underneath me. The next day was miserable and I could not get rehydrated, never again!

#185012 - 05/11/14 07:28 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: aimless]
bluefish Offline

A cast iron frying pan, extruded metal grill, and a heavy leather glove. An axe, rope and umbrella was standard gear.
The heaviest burden I carry now is the memories of being able to haul that stuff painlessly.... grin

#185013 - 05/11/14 11:59 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
A Sterno stove...and Sterno.

#185016 - 05/11/14 09:46 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: bobito9]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I loved the comment about bringing the wrong people--although so far I have avoided that. So far....

And I do remember the pup tent that I used for quite a few years forty years ago.

And I still wonder if they couldn't make those with Skeeter netting...because they sure were cheap and lightweight.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#185019 - 05/12/14 02:01 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: rockchucker22]
Rick_D Offline

Good thing it was just the leg. grin

Yesterday at Costco I saw an adventure-in-the-making: guy was headed to checkout with these items in his cart--two very large (Costco-sized) bottles of vodka and a tent.

Speaking of adventure potential, by Thursday it's supposed to be near a hundred in the lowlands, so it's time for the summer gear and hitting the usual July spots now!

Cheers,

#185024 - 05/12/14 08:52 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: balzaccom]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
And I still wonder if they couldn't make those with Skeeter netting...because they sure were cheap and lightweight.

Some of today's cottage industry sil-nylon tarps are patterned after those old tents. I remember some really good designs back in 1960's Scouts, one being a simple pup tent from Sears. My poncho shelter is basically a big sheet of sil-nylon and is sometimes set up like those old tents. Works like a G.I. "half shelter", especially if someone else has a poncho shelter you're hiking with.

And bringing along others.......most of my accompanied hikes have been good experiences, but there are a few "stories". I've had people show up expecting me to outfit them! Ruined the trip. What did they not understand about "you are on your own"?

#185117 - 05/16/14 02:34 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Dryer]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I don't necessarily think some of these items you all have carried are "boneheaded." Some are just classic beginner's gear or fit into the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category. I remember as a Boy Scout carrying a surplus shelter half (one half of a heavy cotton pup tent that buttoned together with another half) and three piece wooden tent poles. I also had a surplus mess kit, canteen, web belt and folding shovel/trenching tool.

However, a couple of things I bought many years later sort of fit into this category- a signal flare rescue kit and a combo lightweight (relatively) axe, hammer, saw gadget I took bike touring. Weight wasn't that big an issue on my bike, but neither one of these was all that useful.

Some things I have carried were not bad products, just not a good choice for my intended use. My XGK is a great stove, but not really intended for hiking; it's more of a mountaineering stove. My Cat's Meow was a good bag when new (it's lost a lot of loft over the years), but not really a bag for the mountains of NZ; just not warm enough.

As far as big knives go, I remember buying one of those huge Scubapro Bowie knives with the fake ivory handle when I started diving. After soon realizing how ridiculous it was, I wound up with one about 1/4 its size that strapped onto my arm and was really practical. I still have it.

Edited by TomD (05/16/14 02:38 AM)

#185139 - 05/18/14 02:39 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: TomD]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Snake bite kit.:)

#185140 - 05/18/14 10:20 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: ndwoods]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By ndwoods
Snake bite kit.:)

Good one!

I used to carry one of those too blush

"You want to go where?"

#185141 - 05/18/14 10:51 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Didn't we all? Was yours the little tiny one that stored inside the suction cup thingies, or the Sawyer one with the syringe and 5 or 6 little cups (the socket set of snake bite kits)? Or both?

#185142 - 05/18/14 11:48 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
rockchucker22 Offline

Oh I had the double suction cup with the small knife and some instructions, I forget what else, it was army guy green.

#185143 - 05/18/14 12:30 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: billstephenson]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Percolate and cans of DM stew. Darned tablet will not let me spell the name without correcting.

Edit w/o helpful Kindle corrections.

Percolator and cans of Dinny Moore stew.

Edited by GrumpyGord (05/19/14 06:04 AM)

#185144 - 05/18/14 02:58 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: ndwoods]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I made the mistake of buying a snake bite kit (the two rubber bulbs fitted together with a razor blade and instructions inside), but after I owned it I never made the mistake of carrying it. laugh

#185145 - 05/18/14 03:11 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
Rick_D Offline

Further memory-dredging: Deep-Woods OFF! insect fogger, in the large economy can and speaking of spray cans, PAM spray cooking oil, which, Boy Scouts being Boy Scouts, some bright light puts in the fire for easy disposal.

And to think you couldn't legally buy bottle rockets in Washington state.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum