Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185666 - 06/10/14 02:16 PM Another School Shooting
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This one was only a quarter mile from my home. It sounded as though every siren in the state was coming, just before I was to start my morning walk. Needless to say, I did not go. I have been praying for all involved. It's even more scary when it's so close to home.
Update on Reyolds High School shooting.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/10/14 02:23 PM)

#185667 - 06/10/14 03:08 PM Re: Another School Shooting [Re: OregonMouse]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I just don't understand all these shootings.

I had a really hard time in high school. It was plain awful. I was angry - hated school, hated most of the teachers, hated most of the other students, hated my parents - it was rough. Yeah, there was talk of blowing the school up and so forth - but we didn't _really_ mean it. I had access to guns, but I _never_ brought them to school. There were also hunting rifles in cars during the deer hunting season.

I do believe that the picking on stuff that is unfortunately part of school is worse than when I was in high school. I could go home and at least not have it in my face anymore. Now days, there it is on <insert social media here> - back then computers were only the geeks and we self policed.

Another difference is the total terror of the embarrassment of my family for doing anything really bad. I cannot, to this day, think of what my grandfather (who spoiled me rotten and adored me) would have done to me if I had taken a gun to school without shuddering.

So what has changed? Is there a lack of fear of repercussions? I did read an interesting military article, saying that one of the reasons training in the military is hard is that they found in one of the wars that soldiers on sinking boats just gave up - that hardship was something you learned how to deal with. Could it be that childhood has gotten to "easy" and some children simply haven't dealt with hardship and haven't learned that things often get better?

Sorry for the long post, but as someone who had a rough time in high school AND has been shooting since she was 12, I have great difficulty in understanding this issue... and honestly the issue deepy bothers me.

#185668 - 06/10/14 03:25 PM Re: Another School Shooting [Re: OregonMouse]
packlite Offline

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
Just read it on Yahoo news. Bad business that. Unfortunately, it will get much worse. Just a sign of the times.

I was recently recollecting with and old high school mate about the contrast between now and our own growing up in the 50's & 60's in small town Oregon. For example, after duck hunting, we used to walk right down our town's main street in our camouflaged clothes with shotguns over the shoulder. Many times setting the shotgun next to the front door of a grocery store, like it was a bicycle, while we went inside to get refreshments. Real laid back. In my four years of high school the worst thing that happened was some guys got caught smoking cigarettes out behind the football field bleachers.

Since there were no electronic devices in those days, we spent much of our time outdoors, building things, exploring the woods, lakes, sand dunes (I lived only a few miles from the ocean) and otherwise always occupied. After age of 15, we all had full-time summer jobs during our HS years. I recently tried to share my experiences with my grandson and he didn't seem interested. He spends many many hours a day playing a Mindcraft game. He is addicted, I'm sure. Anyway, the times have changed dramatically and getting worse.

I just read in the news where two 12-year-old girls plotted the murder of their friend - and almost succeeded - so they would gain favor with Slenderman. Of course, Slenderman is just a fictional character of a computer game. Geez, the kids live a fictional world with different morals and behaviour. Fortunately, though, not all kids are like that, but enough so that the world is a much more dangerous place then ever before.

#185687 - 06/11/14 03:32 PM Re: Another School Shooting [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Wow OM, that's awful news. Of course I heard about the event, but had no idea it happened in your neighborhood.

I've watched this problem grow like so many other social trends and consider it to be just that, a social trend. There are many contributing factors and some of them could be addressed with common sense, but that gets drown out by self interests.

I believe I've expressed some thoughts on this issue here before, but it's clear now that as a society we seem to be paralyzed by it. We've not moved a bit on it for 15 years now.

"You want to go where?"

#185712 - 06/13/14 03:36 PM Re: Another School Shooting [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I simply do not get it.

#188001 - 12/12/14 03:08 AM Re: Another School Shooting [Re: OregonMouse]
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona
Sorry to resurrect an older thread:
But I think one of the dirty little secrets about increasing school violence, from Columbine to Sandy Hook Elementary and possibly Reynolds (I couldn't find a reliable source about Jared Padgett) is the side effects of SSRI's, Ritalin and the like. Some teenagers get suicidal, homicidal and psychotic on these drugs.

On the other hand school violence, and other violence, has always happened. They just didn't have access to rapid fire, high capacity, firearms in the past.

I will add that if you check out pics of Jared Lee Loughner (2011 shooting in Tucson) and Adam Lanza they look crazy. Jared Loughner's parents had contacted law enforcement and tried to get him committed repeatedly but nobody had the power to do something with him till after the shooting.
Adam Lanza's folks were divorced for 3 yrs prior to his shooting. Mom won custody with final say over Adam. She also owned a high capacity battle rifle with multiple clips, and other firearms, and had been taking little Adam to the range and teaching him how to shoot for years. She had expressed concerns and fears of Adam but kept the guns handy anyway. She paid with her life for her failure to institutionalize her son whom she knew had serious issues.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum