Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185188 - 05/20/14 02:59 PM Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use?
Tober Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here but I have been scouring this forum looking for a tent recommendation that fit our needs and finding none am asking for advice. My wife and I need to replace an old, heavy 3-4 season SD Polaris whose fly is no longer waterproof. I'm taking this opportunity to consider backpacking tents that are lighter weight than the 6.5 lbs of the Polaris. I have spent hours searching tent review sites and have found only 1 or 2 tents that fit our needs but I know there must be more options to consider. Here is what we are looking for in a new tent:

-A 3+ season tent for use in early spring/late fall when it's cold, so less mesh on the tent body, especially low, and more solid material. We have an airy full mesh tent (NF Slickrock) we use for warmer weather backpacking. We often get rained on in early spring when it’s cold so we want to avoid tents with condensation issues, like single wall, especially since we use down bags.

-roomy enough for 2 to sleep comfortably. This has been the big factor most often disqualifying 99% of tents. Tents are so narrow nowadays! Occasionally we need to sleep head to toe (snoring) so a wide tent foot area is necessary as well. My wife finds 50" too narrow. We got in three new tents to see what feels wide enough and what doesn’t. 88” x 54” is wide enough whereas 90”x 54”/44” (foot width) she found a little too narrow and 86” x 52”/42” (foot width) felt unreasonably narrow to both of us. She is 5’4” and I am 5’10” and both of small build.

-We’ve been using the 6.5 lb Polaris for cold weather backpacking for 15 years so anything over a pound lighter will feel like a real upgrade. We are comfortable carrying a little more weight to get a little more elbow room; 5 - 5.5 lbs seems reasonable for a good night sleep.

-We live in WI and are often backpacking in the northern midwest where soil can be thin and the rock hard so we prefer freestanding. We do hike with walking poles so would consider a partially freestanding tent that uses a pole or 2 for support.

-2 side doors or 1 front door so we don't have to climb over one another at night

-At least 1 vestibule big enough for 2 packs and boots

-I am an outdoor professional so I can get some tents at a discount. That said, for the perfect tent I can justify paying $400. But, most outdoor professionals don’t get paid much so I would rather pay in the $250-$300 range.

Strangely, one of the only tents I can find that seems to fit all of our needs is a tent made by the gear wholesaler Liberty Mountain/Peregrine Outfitters. It’s called the Radama 2. It’s 5.5 lbs and super wide at 59”. There aren’t many reviews of it so I want to consider other options before heading to Isle Royale NP for 6 days this June with a $150 tent. Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations!

#185192 - 05/20/14 04:05 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Re-do your research and include 3-person tents. Nowadays, the width of 3-person tents is similar to the old 2-person tents. One reason tents have narrowed is that they now are designed with steeper side walls so even if the floor is narrower you have more usable sideways space (if you get a 2 side door tent). If you have a store within reach you should get inside a narrower tent and see how it feels. Include "mountaineering" tents when doing a search. Sometimes tents with less mesh are put in that category.

My husband snores but I bring ear plugs so do not have to sleep head-to-foot.

Most tents eventually go on sale. Often you can pick up the last season's model at a considerable reduced price.

#185194 - 05/20/14 04:38 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
You're going to find that a tent with more mesh and less solid walls will have less condensation. I don't imagine a solid wall is any warmer than a mesh wall. The rain fly wrapping around entire tent will block the wind. Both of my backpacking tents are all mesh with exception of the tub style floor, and I've backpacked in 17 degrees while snowing! It sure is cozy and warm in the sleeping bag! grin

With that said, check this tent out: Tarptent Rainbow 2 Disclaiminer: I have never used this tent, I do have the Moment from Tarptent and I been putting it through the ringer lately! grin I just recommended this tent to give you something different to look at that you will not find in big box stores. There is another 3 person tent on that website that has a dual door as well. If your budget stops at $150, you might want check into massive tarp and bivy or rig a big bug net under it. Tarptent has a serious fan base and is well known in the backpacking community.

Edited by ETSU Pride (05/20/14 04:43 PM)

#185199 - 05/20/14 05:16 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
An Easton Kilo 3p is a palace for two and still weighs less than 4#. Just one door and still needs guying and staking for the wind, but you'll have room to roam; heck, sleep sideways. Can skip the fly for stargazing.

cheers,

#185207 - 05/20/14 07:09 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Exactly my thoughts, daisy. I'd start with the Copper Spur UL3 by Big Agnes - but depending on preferences and locales, I wouldn't rule out TarpTents. You might get a 3-season TarpTent for the same weight as a two person "traditional" tent. The big issue with TarpTent, in the east (Isle Royale), could be condensation; I don't have any experience with them, so I'm mentioning it in hopes others who use them in the east might chime in with some good info. (It's not meant to dissuade you from looking at TarpTent.)

#185208 - 05/20/14 07:11 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I guess I should have kept reading before I responded to Daisy. smile

#185213 - 05/20/14 07:32 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just an addition to what Daisy said--look up the specifications of various tents on the manufacturers' websites and use masking tape on your living room floor to block out the actual floor space (with string and some strategically placed poles and furniture you can model the height, too). You may find some of those so-called 2-person tents too tight a fit. This method is a lot quicker than running from store to store or ordering online and sending them back!

I personally am a single-wall tent fan because I want my condensation where I can wipe it off instead of collecting on the fly and dripping down through the inner. Your mileage, of course, may vary!

#185224 - 05/20/14 09:57 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Tober Offline

I starting thinking about 3 person tents exactly as you suggested but upon looking at specs on 3p tents I noticed that they usually start over 6 lbs. I haven't looked at many however so good suggestion. I will look at some of the ultralight tents in 3p and see what they weigh in at. Thanks for the suggestion!

#185225 - 05/20/14 10:05 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: ETSU Pride]
Tober Offline

Tarptent has quite an underground following. I've never heard of them until doing some research lately for this purchase and I see Tarptent mentioned in several forums. I pull up their website again and specifically look at the ones you mentioned. Thanks!

#185226 - 05/20/14 10:09 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: OregonMouse]
Tober Offline

Measuring out the dimensions on the floor is a great idea!

#185230 - 05/21/14 12:21 AM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
bobito9 Offline

I've been using an REI T2 Quarter Dome for a 2 person backpacking tent (until today: I just bought a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2:) I put it on the scale and w/o the footprint, it weighed in at 4lb 6oz: not super light, like say my new BA, but not bad, and personally I think it is very roomy. The amount of headroom blew me away when I first got it, and it has 2 vestibules and doors. It has been a very comfy tent for two, and has done ok in a couple snow storms. You can also lighten it up significantly by fast pitching it with only the footprint and rainfly. It is also on sale pretty cheap right now at REI

#185334 - 05/24/14 12:21 AM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
Tober Offline

I think we've settled on the Copper Spur 3! I can't believe I hadn't considered BA 3p tents before. I looked into other manufacturer's 3p tents and those were the heavy ones. But the 2014 Copper Spur 3...about 4 lbs! Great suggestion! The BA Slater 2+ was also in the running but it doesn't have any rainfly vents and in the moist, cold midwest rainfly vents are a sure way to combat condensation. Thanks everyone!

#185335 - 05/24/14 11:30 AM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Right on. Big Agnes are cool tent (I have one), you will love it.

#185455 - 05/29/14 08:07 AM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
The Chef Offline

I think you will be happy with the copper spur.
I have the Jack rabbit 2 from Big agnes.
Similar to copper spur. daughter and I loved it.
She is a teen so basically full size.
we are both about 5'7"
sleeping pads were next to each other we had ample room in the feet area and by our heads.
The Jack Rabbit has sewn in storage pocket sin the corners.
I am sure the spur does also.
the 3 will definitely be roomy
I love the side doors.
For camping by myself I have the fly creek two.
I opted for the xtra room in case of bad weather and am still at 2lbs for shelter which works for me

#185490 - 05/31/14 10:49 PM Re: Suggestions for roomy 2p tent for spring/fall use? [Re: Tober]
goldenteardr Offline

Loc: az and nm
suggestion on a roomy two person tent is to buy normal three person tent add a large footprint and a vestibule.
The footprint doubles as a tarp for those rainy days to cover you and tent while sitting outside waiting for the rain to stop. The vestibule is to hold and keep dry your gear and boots

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum