Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185428 - 05/28/14 11:49 AM How light is to light
The Chef Offline

Ok I am new here.
I would like to start out by saying I have started out my light weight backpacking journey about a year ago. I have read all the sites and forums. I have gone from 45 lbs to 20lb for a 3 season weekend pack with food.
It has cost a bunch but at this point in life it is easier to afford.
some gear is:
a big Agnes fly creek 2 2 lbs
Montbell down bags 1.2 lb
down jacket 5 oz
2.3 lb pack. osprey exos 48
light weight filters, light knife,
Big agnes chair ( used with Air mattress) 6 oz
Biggest thing I have learned is to look at every item and say realistically do I need to take this.
gone are the following
- first aid kit. Is now 2-3 oz from 1.2 lbs. I can not do -surgery in the field now but I doubt I would ever need to.
-camp shoes - gone
-high end rain gear - replaced with frog toggs ultra lite 10 oz
-Dana Designs pack gone 6lbs
-unnecessary cups, utensils, cookware not needed for meals
-msr water filter
-tent lantern
-extra knife
- more medicines than I could realistically take during the timeframe of my trip
-water bladders, replaced with Vitamin water bottles

So I would like to hear feed back on my following feelings.
It seems that the pursuit of light weight packing gets to a point of How light can I go with total disregard for any sort of comfort in the backcountry. I am totally onboard with carrying a light pack. But do I really want to sleep under just a tarp? when I can have a full shelter for less than 2 lbs.
or use an alcohol stove and carry 10 ozs of fuel when I can use a jetboil or other canister for the same weight or a few for 3 oz more. By time some of these people pack the stove fuel windscreens and other apparatus the need to fire up an alcohol stove is it worth it??. I can have hot water for drink or food in 4 minutes from the time I grab my jetboil from my pack and I do not pay a huge weight penalty.
Same foes with a sawyer fuel filter. My mini weight 1.9 oz.
Versus maybe .8 oz of chemical treatment and bottles I would carry. Plus My water is filtered not just purified, ( no particles or floaters).
I see some gear lists and YouTube videos and wonder is it worth the 1-2 lbs of weight savings to give up so much comfort.
At 20 lbs with food for three days I am very comfortable, eat well, stay warm and sleep well.
SO what is the attraction of going to the extreme other than I can say My pack is 12 lbs and yours is 13?

#185436 - 05/28/14 01:13 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Most of us here are aiming for "lightweight", not really UL, and you pretty much hit on the reasons why. It's a balance between carrying the kitchen sink and practically nothing that is pretty much always based on personal preferences.

It doesn't matter a bit what others bring as long as they don't insist I carry it laugh

"You want to go where?"

#185437 - 05/28/14 01:22 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: billstephenson]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Bill,

The last time I said that, I ended up carrying that person's pack for a whole day... and not only was said pack incredibly heavy, it tried to drown me (my pack I could easily wiggle out of in the water, but the other person's pack I could not and I lost my footing and it pushed me forward - talk about scary!)

grin

#185438 - 05/28/14 01:39 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: billstephenson]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Like Bill, I don't have any particular weight goal, I have what I call a "function" goal. By that I mean that I take along with me what I feel that I need and will use and nothing more (except some safety related stuff). I'm getting along in years so some of my "needs" would be classed as luxuries by those who are younger. At any rate, my determination of what I need is based on experience and on the current weather report, not on some arbitrary "ideal" weight proposed by others.

After I have decided what I need, then the issue of weight becomes a factor with the constraints of function being a deciding factor. As an example, I won't take a light sleeping bag to save weight and risk being cold at night, a good night's sleep is important to me. Or, I take a canister stove rather than an alcohol stove because I don't like fiddling around with alcohol and I like being able to turn the thing off. And, I don't take a chair along because it seems I can always find a tree or rock to lean against and I don't have to carry them, they are already there.

So, I guess I'm saying that you are on the right track with your gear: take what you need and ignore the critics.

#185439 - 05/28/14 02:20 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The origins of ultralight are in thru-hiking the long trails such as the AT or PCT. When you cannot reach your goal without hiking roughly 25 miles a day, every day, for months on end, then lowering your pack weight to an absolute minimum becomes critical to your success. Ounces really do count under such extreme circumstances.

Very few backpackers ever set such extreme goals, so a mania for saving a few ounces is far less appropriate for the vast majority of us. For someone like me who may sometimes hike 15 miles a day, but 8 to 10 is far more common, saving weight is about not working so hard, saving wear on my body, and enjoying my time on the trail.

I agree entirely with Pika that it's all about striking the balance that best meets my goals for each trip. Since I've been doing this for over 40 years now, that balance is based on some very exact ideas of what works for me. It's never just about hitting a certain pack weight. The equation also includes the location, the season, the mileage, what I want to do there besides hike, the amount of comfort I desire, and several other minor tweaks.

#185440 - 05/28/14 04:03 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: aimless]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
My pendulum has swung back and forth and have found a nice balance with a 10 lb base weight. I carry a moderately heavy pad, 20 oz because I really value a good nights sleep. Also I carry a small packable pillow from goose feet gear. It really is an individual thing, so many try and compare their gear set up with someone else's when really there are too many variables. I want to as light as possible without sacrificing comfort, safety, durability. Others have different priorities, and that's fine as long as it works for you. I remember when everyone's pack weighed 40-50 lbs, and we all got by. There was times when I had to ask myself why am I doing this? Now it's so much more enjoyable being lighter, less tired, less sore, and probably even more comfortable than before. Much of the excess weight was junk I didn't need.

#185442 - 05/28/14 04:32 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
The Chef Offline

Wow some reality based thinking. I like this site already

#185443 - 05/28/14 05:12 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
bluefish Offline

Just an observation, and may be incorrect, but it seems a lot of the cottage UL industry is driven by older folks with disposable income. Though I have gone light, not UL, my knees ,after much life abuse, can stand a lot of trail miles. I'm very grateful for the wonderful products out there. I easily fit enough to be safe and comfortable in a 60 liter pack, and my wife in a 40. (Hmmmm, that sounds like my wife fits in a 40) grin What may have been driven by the need of ultra-athlete/hikers to achieve huge mileages has benefited those who can't aspire to lofty physical goals due to encroaching age. As far as I'm concerned, 20-28 lbs. for me, and 12-18 lbs. for my wife lets us hike with comfort and have a great time.We bring reading material, good food that we enjoy eating, and sometimes a fly rod and pack raft. Without the push for light weight products, the 3-4k elevation gains we do now would be impossible for us. I hope the technology keeps going! Lightweight will never trump fitness, but it sure helps as you get older!

#185444 - 05/28/14 07:30 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: bluefish]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I don't know Bluefish, I've bought quite a bit of cottage gear in the last few years and justify it by the fact I don't do much other travel. Hotel rooms are ridiculously high priced and a few nights easily pays for some nice gear. So I look at as vacation cost but last much longer.

#185445 - 05/28/14 07:45 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: rockchucker22]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
My pack weight is light due to not wanting to take so much stuff. The lbs I save allow me to take more (and better) food. I ascribe to the belief of famed Adirondacker George Washington Sears (aka Nessmuk) as he wrote in early years of the last century, "Go light; the lighter the better, so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment."

#185446 - 05/28/14 08:00 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
You bring a stove?

Just kidding. Where you set your limit is your choice.

My son and I usually carry a total of 42 - 44 pounds for a weekend including food and water. Last time out, we took a second stove (Trangia) and alcohol to test it so there were an extra couple pounds. We also started with more food and ate after about half an hour.

I think lightweight backpacking is a matter of taste. I don't mind carrying more if it's only a few miles. If we are stretching the distance, I take less.

You forgot your toilet paper. Don't forget to take out the cardboard. One square should be enough to clean your fingernails a few times.

Edited by Gershon (05/28/14 08:07 PM)

#185448 - 05/28/14 11:49 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
It just goes to show you how subjective we are to this hobby. Thankfully, we get a broad range of product selections to meet our own personal comfort zone. Backpacking doesn't have to be a death march. Knowing your own limitation shows maturity. Ego is just a human error at times, just because someone else can go lighter or heavier while achieving the same mileages as you shouldn't affect the way you feel about yourself. Knowing your own personal comfort zone and limitation, and enjoy yourself while posting pictures for rest of us to enjoy is great in mine and few others' book! grin

Edited by ETSU Pride (05/28/14 11:50 PM)

#185450 - 05/29/14 12:28 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
All my gear is lighter than what you list I believe. I'm at UL status and can be quite comfortable. I have no mortgage or car payment. I collect stoves, so my credit card bill plus utilities is all I have. I've upgraded to much cuben fiber gear. We'll see how long it lasts or keeps me dry, the latest item a ZPacks Solplex shelter. My pack and shelter are half your weight and will be fine in the rain or with carrying a weeks worth of gear and food, plus some water. (mid 20's or so in weight) For weekend trips, I'll bring a couple stoves at least, since that is what I collect. On my vacations, if possible, I'll have a alcohol stove since it is so light, not fast, but I'm not in a hurry.
Duane

#185453 - 05/29/14 07:31 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: rockchucker22]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I don't know Bluefish, I've bought quite a bit of cottage gear in the last few years and justify it by the fact I don't do much other travel. Hotel rooms are ridiculously high priced and a few nights easily pays for some nice gear. So I look at as vacation cost but last much longer.

RC, since I don't live in Bishop anymore frown , the smaller lightweight gear has the advantage of being easier to travel with. Dragging heavy packs through airports suck! It also is good enough to use car camping comfortably, acclimating to altitude, or when I want to fish, fish, fish. In April , thanks to accumulated points and Hotwire, we did a trip to the Grand Canyon and northern New Mexico for under a grand for 9 days from Albany, NY. Our trips to the Sierra cost little more, thanks to never or rarely staying in motels, cheap air fares to Lost Wages, and budget rental cars with unlimited miles. I'm fully on board with trading off expensive vacations for useful, durable gear. Lightweight also means smaller and fits easily in a compact, economy car. Just don't tell Hertz and Avis the trailheads they end up parked on. grin
Being a trail and trout bum means my means are slim; gear is an investment in a quality life for me.

#185454 - 05/29/14 07:33 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: hikerduane]
The Chef Offline

Hikerduane
what Pack are you using
Also the tent is quit interesting.
have you used in true 3 season weather with temps in the 20-30's at night?

#185463 - 05/29/14 01:57 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
The Chef, I just got the ZPacks Solplex a few months ago, I've only set it up once while car camping to get a feel for how it would set up, have not actually used it. About the same time to set up as my Hexamid from last summer, maybe a tiny bit smaller footprint when staked out.
My pack is the Zpacks Arc Blast, I just picked up a Zero from them, comes in at 7 oz., versus 18? for the Blast. Carries well for me with mid 20 lb. loads. Nothing but money. My semi-retired pack is a Six Moon Designs Starlight which works very well for me.
Duane

#185464 - 05/29/14 02:35 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
For some of us, it's either go as lightweight as possible or quit backpacking, something I'm not about to do as long as I can put one foot in front of the other. There are two of us on this forum who admit to being in our late 70's, and both of us are still active.

My base weight went up 6 oz. this year due to my reently getting a more comfortable--and warmer--sleeping pad. However, my base weight is still only about 12.5 lbs including fishing gear and camera (items omitted from most gear lists, even when photos of the trip are included).

When I went lightweight, I modeled my gear list on the 27-lb., 7 day gear list on the home page of this site (lots of articles there on lightening up). That one has a base weight of about 15.5 lbs. For the most part, my gear is lighter than what is on that list, but I take everything I need to ensure both comfort and safety, and (since I'm often at high altitude) can stay warm down to 15*F if needed. To reach a 15 lb. baseweight I spent only about $300 for lighter gear (primarily tent and pack), plus another $325 for my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag (the bag now costs about $100 more). Basically, all I bought were a 1.8 lb. pack, a 2 lb. tent, the sleeping bag (1.6 lb.) and a canister stove. Everything except the sleeping bag was on sale. The big expenditures were to get rid of the last 2 lbs. I'd say that about half my weight savings were from lighter gear and the other half were for eliminating unnecessary or duplicate items.

The maximum I can carry these days is about 25 lbs. total pack weight. This allows me to go out for 8-9 days without resupply. (I mostly backpack in places where water is plentiful, so I usually carry only 1/2 liter at a time.) It's quite a change from the 50 lb. pack I staggered under durin a 9-day backpack through the North Cascades, before the knee injury that put a halt to that sort of thing.

There is such a thing as overdoing the cutting of weight, or what Andrew Skurka calls "stupid light." The trick is knowing what is necessary and what isn't. Generally only experience will tell you. You can be warm, dry, comfortable, well fed and hydrated with a lot less than many people think. As you gain experience and learn skills, you can accomplish this with less.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/29/14 02:38 PM)

#185473 - 05/30/14 10:54 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
The stupid light article in OregonMouse's post is excellent.

There may also be stupid heavy. For instance, carrying a couple liters of water when there is plenty of water available. Recently, I saw two waterlogged pillows and a frying pan discarded on the side of a trail.

Perhaps there is stupid far, too. Many newer hikers overestimate how far they can go and trade miles for enjoyment.

Perhaps someone could start a stupid thread. smile

#185477 - 05/30/14 01:58 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: Gershon]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Gershon
Perhaps there is stupid far, too. Many newer hikers overestimate how far they can go and trade miles for enjoyment.

No doubt about it, their is stupid far.

I can't rush on by the many spectacularly beautiful spots here. I have spent months here exploring 15 miles of trail. Every creek, hollow, and ridge along the way is amazing.

I see the attraction and value in racking up miles to make a goal, but thru hiking, or speed hiking, is not the same as what I consider backcountry backpacking to be about. There's a lot of gear and location overlap between but the primary reasons for carrying the pack are quite different. For me, not stopping to enjoy a super scenic spot is shameful, for the speed hiker not zooming by is.

I think these two approaches often get blurred in concept and portrayals of backpackers and this affects the casual backpacker's expectations and influences their planning, which can certainly lead to "stupid far".

"You want to go where?"

#185575 - 06/05/14 11:47 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: billstephenson]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Stupid far can be avoided with experience. I measure miles, count contour lines (OK, nowadays I use the TOPO program) and carefully look for water sources and potential campsites for each trip. I estimate my travel rate including extra time for elevation gain and river crossings. I keep track of my travel times when on the trip. When I return, I edit the spreadsheet and see if I exceeded my plan or went much slower. Over time, I am able to estimate my personal "far" quite accurately. I like to mix it up - some days "stupid easy", some days "stupid far", and some days "just right". And I always build in weather contingency. Most "stupid far" days are a result of making up lost time due to bad weather days.

OM- I do not think I will ever be able to get down to your base weight! One of my big items is the 2 pound bear canister that I am required to use on most of my trips. The other is my sleeping bag - it is a 2#14oz 5-10 degree bag (WM Super Antelope). I am probably the world's coldest sleeper!

I allow myself to one pound of frivolous extras. That could be a light down jacket that is more for comfort than necessity, some fresh food, a book, thicker sleeping pad, more chocolate etc.

#185577 - 06/06/14 02:09 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: wandering_daisy]

Yes, I use an Ursack--here in the PNW, bear canisters are required only in Olympic and North Cascades National Parks (which I generally avoid). Substitute the canister and i'm back up around 15 lbs. base weight. I'm no good at hanging, or I could use an even lighter bear bag.

I've noted that most lightweight or "ultralight" gear lists don't include a canister, either!

With a warm enough pad (the new one is an Exped UL7 Downmat), a vapor barrier suit and all my insulating clothing on me (outside the vapor barrier), I can take my WM Ultralite down to being quite cozy at 15*F, even though I'm also a very cold sleeper. I would be in trouble if it got much colder, though!

#185583 - 06/06/14 11:33 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: OregonMouse]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Fortunately, There are only a couple of places I hike that require a canister and both are short enough I've been able to avoid them. I'd have to change packs if I needed one. I also have the WM Ultralite, rated, I believe to 35 or 40 F. I've had it down further with all of my clothes on (but no vapor barrier). Don't know what the temperature was, but I had slush in my water bottle (left out accidentally).

Incidentally, I left out of my list the other day that my clothing bag is very light and almost waterproof. I use it as my pillow. When I have no clothes left, I fill it with leaves and duff. Works well. Also, left out one of the miracles of modern backpacking, hand sterilizer (used often, substantially reduces the trail runs)

best, jcp

#185594 - 06/06/14 04:31 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: JPete]

The WM Ultralite is actually listed as a 20*F bag. Its EN13537 rating is 17*F (men) and 24*F (women) as found on a UK website (and converted from Celcius). WM doesn't list the EN ratings on their site even though they do sell bags in Europe, which seems really odd. At least they didn't the last time I looked, about a year ago.

#185825 - 06/19/14 06:05 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: The Chef]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“…or use an alcohol stove and carry 10 ozs of fuel when I can use a jetboil… By time some of these people pack the stove fuel windscreens and other apparatus the need to fire up an alcohol stove is it worth it??”

Yep. For way less money you can save 9oz (over Jetboil) and go with alcohol. Except for Esbit, alcy stoves will always be your lightest hot meal setup no matter how many days you can carry.
JetBoils are one of your heaviest backpacking stove choices. Even a Whisper Loud will be similar in weight (looking at whole cooking picture and using AverageWeight/day)

For 10oz of alcy fuel, I can go 7 days (hot breakfast and hot supper with spare fuel). The alcy setup will average 12.8oz/day. The 7-day Jetboil setup will average 21.75oz/day

Or for a 3 day setup the alcy kitchen will average 8.8oz/day and the jetboil setup will be 18oz/day.

Yes, you will boil in 4 minutes instead of 8 (or 6), but there are a lot of camp chores that can be accomplished during that time. I.e., light the stove. Do your chores. And no fiddle factor in cold weather is another bonus. Some more bonuses: No partial canisters laying around. Not taking two canisters because one is almost finished. Alcy fuel is good to the last drop. Can use any plastic container for easy packing.

Other thoughts, I would like to go lightweight with a CCF. There are so many advantages. But comfort rules and I use the Neoair short instead.

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

#185826 - 06/19/14 07:14 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: BarryP]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
First of all, I'm not disputing any of the advantages of alcohol stoves; I've used them successfully, and many are quite good. But, something just occurred to me: why have none of the major makers (MSR, Snow Peak, Coleman/Peak 1, etc.) come out with a version of the alcohol stove?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum